Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8:37, cmm finally wants to work..

Hey fellow programmers,
    I have a quick question, I have a Sheffield endeavor III and am running pc dmis 2012 mr1 release. Recently the cmm said "no, I don't want to work at 6 am anymore for you"...what I mean by this is, the cmm started giving me an air fault/lube error making it unusable for a week and a half. It's brand new and has been only been used for a year from February... I called a tech to come out because we are still under warranty. Tech comes out and removes z belt and adjusts the counter balance for the z-ram.... It starts to run just fine
    .... here is where it gets weird......so now from Saturday and today when I start it up, I get the same air pressure and lube error... I checked everything it could be and start adjusting the air pressure... finally put it back to 70 psi when it is suppose to be 65 psi... give it a couple hours. Both times I came back to my desk (Saturday 10am, today 8:37am) and hear a pop of air, then bam all of a sudden my machine wants to start....

Has any one had this happen before? any suggestions what it could be causing this cmm to start when it decides it wants to?
    I just don't want this to be a normal thing of me coming in at six and waiting/troubleshooting/looking lazy until 9ish it wants to work. GRRRRrr... this Pc/cmm demon really likes to test me... sludge hammer looks really good right now.

On a CMM, there is (speaking from my experience with Global frames) a second regulator - usually inside the bridge - which regulates the air going into the Z-axis counterbalance. After the air goes through the counterbalance, it runs to a sensor/solenoid that decides if there is enough air pressure to safely operate the counterbalance before allowing air to the rest of the machine.

This second regulator, at least in my experience, tends to be quite finicky and doesn't always reset properly after the air supply is turned off/back on again. If your machine is still under warranty, I would ask Hexagon to replace the counterbalance regulator.

The only other thing I can think of is if there is a high volume consumer of air (sand/grit blast tanks, air parts dryer, etc.) being run in the mornings that is dropping the flow in your air supply.
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

I would start with where your PSI is before the regulators
      Your feed in (PSI) and volume (CFM) needs to be sufficient to reset or open the solenoids as ewe0006 mentioned, these could be bad but first you need to make sure you have enough air.
      I have 95-100 PSI feed in to regulator after a dryer which is then set to 65 PSI. I am not sure what the CFM volume on the CMM is but the air system going to the CMM's feed all the machine tools in house where I am--so more than enough so that is not an issue.
      I did have an issue where some one lowered in by way of shutoff valve in to dryer regulator about 65 PSI which then after regulator on CMM was reduced to where air faulted operation of the CMM in DCC mode intermittently.
      If air supply is Ok then you need to look at air lines on CMM and solenoids to see if supply is compromised or switch is failing.

Comment

Originally posted by ewe0006 View Post
        On a CMM, there is (speaking from my experience with Global frames) a second regulator - usually inside the bridge - which regulates the air going into the Z-axis counterbalance. After the air goes through the counterbalance, it runs to a sensor/solenoid that decides if there is enough air pressure to safely operate the counterbalance before allowing air to the rest of the machine.

This second regulator, at least in my experience, tends to be quite finicky and doesn't always reset properly after the air supply is turned off/back on again. If your machine is still under warranty, I would ask Hexagon to replace the counterbalance regulator.

The only other thing I can think of is if there is a high volume consumer of air (sand/grit blast tanks, air parts dryer, etc.) being run in the mornings that is dropping the flow in your air supply.
        very interesting but that makes a lot of sense now that I am seeing the fluctuation in air. Thank you so much

Comment

Originally posted by Rich P View Post
          I would start with where your PSI is before the regulators
          Your feed in (PSI) and volume (CFM) needs to be sufficient to reset or open the solenoids as ewe0006 mentioned, these could be bad but first you need to make sure you have enough air.
          I have 95-100 PSI feed in to regulator after a dryer which is then set to 65 PSI. I am not sure what the CFM volume on the CMM is but the air system going to the CMM's feed all the machine tools in house where I am--so more than enough so that is not an issue.
          I did have an issue where some one lowered in by way of shutoff valve in to dryer regulator about 65 PSI which then after regulator on CMM was reduced to where air faulted operation of the CMM in DCC mode intermittently.
          If air supply is Ok then you need to look at air lines on CMM and solenoids to see if supply is compromised or switch is failing.
          hmmmmm thank you I checked my air valve which is connected to my air then to cmm and the valve is not all the way open. I am now dusting it for fingerprints to see who lowered my air. I am surprised the tech didn't look at that.

Comment

It sounds like there were perhaps two different issues. For the tech to not see that the incoming air pressure was not high enough would be gross incompetence- yet he tore apart the machine and adjusted the belt and counterbalance?

Comment

the cmm is gliding like a figure skater now... not sure what the deal was.

Comment