Step Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Step Files

Any of you know the difference between STEP-AP203 and STEP-AP214 files? I got a file from a customer (IGES) that Pcdmis would NOT import, it would get to 99% and puke the system out. So, I opened the IGES file in Geomagic (without a problem). Well, this is 'updated' data of a part I was already checking, had some minor changes. So, I wanted to pull it into the existing program, see the changes, re-program them and get on with my life. Well, the new data is in a different orientation than the old data was. So, in Geo, I changed basically re-aligned the data to match what they gave me the last time. I then exported it as a STEP - AP203 file. When I pulled it into Pcdmis, it pulled in, but was still in the original orientation of the file, none of the changes I had made stayed. So, I tried a exporting it as an IGES file, it would not import into Pcdmis. So, I tried the STEP - AP214 and THAT worked. So, is THAT the only difference between the 'steps' or am I missing something else?

Is it as simple as this:
    STEP - AP203 will always be in the 'designed' or original XYZ orientation
    STEP - AP214 will be in the CURRENT orientation
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Matt,

I found a thread about the 203 and 214 versions and from what I can tell 203 is for individual parts where the 214 version is for assemblies. Here's the link...

http://www.groupsrv.com/computers/about283839.html

Comment

Matt

I was at PCDMIS training the last two weeks (Cad ++ and Advanced)
      It was mentioned that the import utility (3.7 and earlier) for IGES files is only able to do about 90-95% of the files out there. There are two IGES import utilities in 4.0/4.1. try one and if it doesn't work try the other....

hope this might help you to get up and running

bob
      Which one gets ridden today? MPH vs MPG..tough choice, both are FUN
      sigpic

Starrett RGDC 4028-24 :alien:
      Demon vintages 3.7, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 2009

Comment

Matt, That literally is all there is to it. There are several levels of the STEP standard all of which have different purposes, but, on the lower level suppliers end, there really isn't any differences in what each of them do other than what you stated.

The ap203 configuration is meant for configuration controlled designs (part coordinates) while the ap214 is meant for Automotive design core data (world coordinate assembly), which sounds like it kind of correlates with what you are seeing from what I gather from your post.

So, as far as I know, I don't beleive there should be any translation issues or anything, the ap configurations are all just different ISO standards anyways. It sounds like you just got a direct assembly model peelaway.
        DCCFreak

Comment

Originally posted by bob mappes
          Matt

I was at PCDMIS training the last two weeks (Cad ++ and Advanced)
          It was mentioned that the import utility (3.7 and earlier) for IGES files is only able to do about 90-95% of the files out there. There are two IGES import utilities in 4.0/4.1. try one and if it doesn't work try the other....

hope this might help you to get up and running

bob
          Not using V4+, don't even have any of them installed. Thanks.

I was just hoping someone would know right off the top of their heads.

Data, rotated into a new position, file saved (this is in Geomagic), exported as a STEP 203 and STEP 214 and the 203 file STILL had theoriginal orientation, the 214 had the new orientation. AND, Cadkey also exported a rotated file in the original position in STEP.
          sigpic
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by dccfreak
            Matt, That literally is all there is to it. There are several levels of the STEP standard all of which have different purposes, but, on the lower level suppliers end, there really isn't any differences in what each of them do other than what you stated.

The ap203 configuration is meant for configuration controlled designs (part coordinates) while the ap214 is meant for Automotive design core data (world coordinate assembly), which sounds like it kind of correlates with what you are seeing from what I gather from your post.

So, as far as I know, I don't beleive there should be any translation issues or anything, the ap configurations are all just different ISO standards anyways. It sounds like you just got a direct assembly model peelaway.
            Cool, thanks for the answer.
            sigpic

Comment

Using vs3.2063, I cannot import the 214 files. I have to save out of Solidworks into the 203 format.
              sigpic Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, but rather a skid in broadside, totally worn, proclaiming WOW What a ride!

Comment