2013 mr1 Probe Calibration Issues

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2013 mr1 Probe Calibration Issues

    Hi All,

    We just installed mr1 last Wednesday and noticed some calibration issues. When calibrating any tip angle up to 85 degrees in the A angle, no problems. Calibrating
    90 degree or higher becomes a challenge. When trying to calibrate 90 degrees of higher, the cmm will stop with an error message saying we are out of machine parameters when the cmm has ample room to maneuver. The work around is to manually calibrate whatever tip is messing up individually, then re calibrate DCC and that problem has been resolved. When we tried to calibrate all the tip angles in the program, then having problems with the higher A angles, we tried to manually calibrate and this did not resolve the issue. After the calibration, the cmm was ready to crash into the part, fixture, table or anything in its way. These programs were proven and ran fine previously.
    I've thought of rebuilding the calibration tool file since it seems my offsets have changed somewhere. We are using a Tesa Star M probe. TIA

  • #2
    sounds like a PIA !

    .02
    I AM the one who KNOCKS !

    Comment


    • #3
      Not sure if this is your problem, but I had similar issues a while back on a turned part, I chalked it up to bad programming because I am fairly new to programming and it was my first foray into programming a star probe (with no idea how to do so). The part would run fine a few times, then randomly crash. The fix was to only use each tip on a 30 deg. sector of the part's ID. I also revamped the alignment by leveling off the top of the part, making the bore of the part my origin, and rotating off a line I created by taking two hits off the X rail on our table.

      The inspector here was convinced the probe head was bad, I was not. Ultimately, we didn't replace the probe head, however, last week I was measuring a part with side holes and a standard probe. A0B0 measures fine, but any other angle crashed into the part just off the location of the holes, and when it didn't crash, it showed them off by a substantial amount. After spending about 8 hours on the phone with Hexagon collectively over the course of two days, we determined that the probe head might be bad.

      What we ended up doing was creating a manual program to check the qual sphere. You basically take five hits on the sphere, set your X,Y,Z origin to the sphere, then measure it again with all the tips/tip angles you question. Manually checking anything will apparently give you measurements that are approx. .001" off what it actually is. Measuring In our case it showed that all the angles were not only off by a couple of thousandths at best, but they were also very inconsistent. We are getting a new probe head, this happened suddenly with no warning.
      Last edited by Ironman187; 12-19-2013, 08:56 AM.
      "The more I learn, the less I know."

      "With great power, comes great responsibility."

      Comment


      • #4
        Think we found the permanent fix. When MR1 was installed, it corrupted the probe configuration. We deleted the old probe and rebuilt it and proceeded to calibrate all tips without incident. So if anyone has any probe issues, rebuild your probe and qualify all tips.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by firehaus View Post
          Think we found the permanent fix. When MR1 was installed, it corrupted the probe configuration. We deleted the old probe and rebuilt it and proceeded to calibrate all tips without incident. So if anyone has any probe issues, rebuild your probe and qualify all tips.
          This is why you should backup everything before upgrading.
          Then you can just restore from the backup clean and clear.
          Roses are red
          Violets are glorious
          Don't try to sneak up
          On Oscar Pistorius.

          MIL-TFP-41C

          3.7mr3, 2012mr1, 2013mr1

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by firehaus View Post
            Think we found the permanent fix. When MR1 was installed, it corrupted the probe configuration. We deleted the old probe and rebuilt it and proceeded to calibrate all tips without incident. So if anyone has any probe issues, rebuild your probe and qualify all tips.
            Glad is was a simple fix, those are always the best ones!
            "The more I learn, the less I know."

            "With great power, comes great responsibility."

            Comment

            Related Topics

            Collapse

            Working...
            X