CMM production program control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CMM production program control

Has anyone out there ever been audited for CMM program controls in a production environment?
    What kind of controls do you employ to ensure that someone doesn't change your programs without authorization?

Never been audited, but there are really only a three ways that I can think of:

1) Write protect the programs
    2) Run only in OPERATOR MODE
    3) Run only from CD's

And, these will ONLY keep them from SAVING changes to the programs. You can still make changes to them while they are open (I am not sure if you can in operator mode, but you can in the other 2).
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Craig says you can delete stuff in operator mode - I've never tried.

Hmmm, Take away the keyboard? Make them start and run programs with only the mouse? Nope just checked you can still delete stuff. Probably would have a hard time just changing numbers though.

I think this is going to have to be a training explanation. Your operators are trained to not change the programs. Password protect the computer so that only approved users can use them.

It is kind of the same as "How do you make sure that people don't grind your gage pins down to a smaller size to fit in the size hole they make?" Well, it's training.

Comment

But when you write protect the programs or run from CD you'll have an error when trying to close the program, because when closing the program saves.

Comment

Originally posted by BKulpa
          But when you write protect the programs or run from CD you'll have an error when trying to close the program, because when closing the program saves.
          If you QUIT, instead of CLOSE, you do not get any error, it will NOT try to save when you quit. Myself, I hate the fact the CLOSING automatically SAVES the program. It is the ONLY software I have and use that does this AUTOMATICALLY without prompting you if you want to save changes. ANNOYING to say the least.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by AndersI
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck
            Craig says you can delete stuff in operator mode - I've never tried..
            Quite true it can be done and I think it sucks. It sucks even more that B&S will tell you it can't be done.

Understanding the types that make these audits mandatory and understanding that the ones doing the auditing know nothing about CMMs makes this very dificult. You could, issue the part program from a read/write disc such as a floppy or USB flash devise. When it is issued the controled copy is copied from a folder (such as a network drive or whatever) to the devise. Then make sure the program is turned back in. When it is turned back in put it back into a folder somewhere but date stamp it or better yet stamp it with the production order it was used on. If a problem arrises then you pull that copy (the one that was turned back in) and compare it to the original controlled copy. You have complete traceability of what order that program was run on, when it was run, and if it was modified from it's original form. Yes this creates work but that comes with the territory, if you want to control your programs and have traceability it will cost you. Show me an ISO system that does not create work. I have seen places that control their CNC programs this way. The program is issued and turned back in to the tool crib along with the tools used on that job. Why not CMM programs as well?

Craig
            <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

Threats of physical harm have worked fine so far.

Comment

I removed the Save, Save As and Close from the file menue and buried them under another menue. The only option they have in the file menue is Quit, seems to be working ok so far.
                sigpic Eye Yam Sofa King We Todd It.

Comment

Originally posted by dbusch
                  Threats of physical harm have worked fine so far.
                  Works here too!
                  When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
                  sigpic

Comment

They're using operator mode; so the only option is to return to program manager.

Comment

Have exactly the sysytem you are looking for running on my machine. I treat them as a DNC program. machine programs are stored on a master server with a front end created by B&S. They then download the program after entering user name and password and program runs. At the end of the program data sent to SQL database and program deleted from memory. Yes there are still ways to frig the system, but the operator don't know then
                      There are three types of people in this world - those that can count and those that can't

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Kilpatrick
                        I removed the Save, Save As and Close from the file menue and buried them under another menue. The only option they have in the file menue is Quit, seems to be working ok so far.
                        How exactly do you do this? I tried to remove Close once and couldn't seem to figure out how to do it. Step by step instructions would be helpfull.

Comment

Go to "View/Toolbars/Customize/Menu/Menu Items then click on File", now go to the actual menu bar at the top of the screen, (NOT the view you just opened). Decide where you want to move the Close option, click and drag the close command to the new area and drop it. When you are done moveing options around go back to the customize box below and say OK. You can click on File in the open Customize box and hit F1 to read the help file on "To move a Menu Item"

Good Luck
                          sigpic Eye Yam Sofa King We Todd It.

Comment