Beginners PC-DMIS training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginners PC-DMIS training

Hello PC-DMIS folks, I have been operating our CMM for about 4 years now, but my programming experience has been very limited. I am very experienced with our laser tracker software CAM2 Measure 10, but we all know that does not relate whatsoever to PC-DMIS. (The upper quality management folks do not understand why I am able to program/measure anything and everything with the tracker, but can’t with PCDMIS. Go figure.) Anyway, they have also been unwilling to provide me any official training that I have been requesting for the past three years. There is not a tech in-house with any significant programming capabilities, so we must always contract out when significant programming is required. Does anyone know of any good online literature that can gain me a little bit of confidence? Anything that will help get me started in the right direction. I am very familiar with GD&T and alignments in general, but I do not have the time to “play” with the CMM all day and experiment. Or does anyone have any suggestions I can relay to quality management to make the right decision and get me some official training? It’s starting to get extremely frustrating. I absolutely love this field as a career and I want to learn everything that I possibly can, but the only thing standing in the way are the ones who may benefit the most from it. Thanks for any suggestions any of you may offer.

Pcdmis has a common core manual that has a ton of info. The help files within the software have tons of info also. You also could mention to your employer about the e-learning that can be used to train multiple people at one time cost. Using this forum on a daily basis is also a great way to train yourself, as long as you have pcdmis accesible to you to test and practice what you learn. Good luck
    sigpicSTANDING CORRECTED IS THE ONLY WAY I STAND

Comment

The other thing is ask questions. What are you having trouble with that is frustrating? What arent you able to do? What version of pcdmis are you using?
      sigpic Great stuff!!!

Comment

Practice, practice, practice. I learned a wealth of knowledge from the archeives. I would personally suggest you get a very good grasp of alignments. In my personal journey, the alignments set the foundation of a solid program. Without it, everything you write will be very suspect. Always use two alignments in your program. A manual one and a dcc alignment. Try different alignments for the same part and notice the difference in your measurements. Understand your alignments so that you can better predict your results. Lastly, seek help through the archeives first before you ask. In doing so, you will find so much more than what you were looking for. If you cant find it, then tap the knowledge of your contemporaries here at the forum
        Sometimes it is best to remain quiet and let someone think you are fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Comment

My first Post, I am currently doing the e-Learning route as suggested by Adam Wallace. I think it is a great tool. I have done programming in the past but never with PC-Dmis, you can go back to it as often as you like and be able to practice what you have learned. There is also a quiz for each level, this along with a really nice training manual. As well as this forum, which a lot of the info was hard for me to understand, before the e-learning. Still learning but making progress. Thank you Forum users for all the great info.

Comment

my advice would be (as mentioned above) go to:
            ftp://ftp.wilcoxassoc.com/docs/v2013_mr1_manual/ (or whatever version you seek to know)
            Grab the file, unzip it....(down to the .pdf, which for 2013MR1 is 2209 pages)
            Then you tell the wife, husband, girlfriend, boyfriend and/or the pets (whomever you hold dear) that you'll be busy for the next few months on your weekends and start reading.
            And when you get tired of it.... go back and read again.
            You'll temporarily alienate the ones you love...but if you wish to dance with the Demon, there is a price to pay.....
            and for the stuff that doesn't 'click'? Well, that's what this forum is for.
            For me? The gurus here (they know who they are) have been a priceless roadmap in navigating my way, and for which I am very grateful.

Comment

Originally posted by sealevel View Post
              ftp://ftp.wilcoxassoc.com/docs/v2013_mr1_manual/ (or whatever version you seek to know)
              Then you tell the wife, husband, girlfriend, boyfriend and/or the pets (whomever you hold dear) that you'll be busy for the next few months on your weekends and start reading.
              You'll temporarily alienate the ones you love...but if you wish to dance with the Demon, there is a price to pay.....
              For me? The gurus here (they know who they are) have been a priceless roadmap in navigating my way, and for which I am very grateful.
              +1000 Exactly

Comment

Originally posted by sealevel View Post
                +1

I couldn't have said it better myself. I've been programming PC DMIS for about 10 years now. I started by staying late (unpaid) and messed with the programming. I asked a ton of questions from the people who knew. Sealevel is right, you will alienate most everyone for a bit, it's a dedication thing. If you trully want to do anything right or proficient enough to work with it, you will have to trade something out. I tell everyone that I work with that they are welcome to stay late and i'll be more than happy to walk them through running the machine up to understanding how to program. Most everyone eventually programs differently, however the basics are always there.

There is a basic to programming anything, understand the part you are measuring, think in 3d as the part is no longer on a piece of paper when you measure it, and measure to the print. All of those i'm sure you understand since you are currently measuring with CAM2. Now you just have to understand how PC DMIS does it. Stick with it, run slow, and have a ton of patience.
                If there wasn't a wrong way, I would have no way at all.

Comment

As you stated, management doesn't want to spend the money to have you trained properly....this is the stuff that really angers me. Not just because I provide on site training, because there are too many people trying to program a machine the company spent $25K-$200k on and now they won't spend a few bucks on training ?

Its like buying a Ferrari, then complaining about gas prices....jeesh.

I am not one for E-learning, on a cmm, but CMM ( the hexagon distributor in Canada ) has developed a good one. It includes videos and great examples !

Try www.cmmxyz.com
                  Jim Jewell

Comment

Originally posted by jjewell View Post
                    As you stated, management doesn't want to spend the money to have you trained properly....this is the stuff that really angers me. Not just because I provide on site training, because there are too many people trying to program a machine the company spent $25K-$200k on and now they won't spend a few bucks on training ?

Its like buying a Ferrari, then complaining about gas prices....jeesh.

I am not one for E-learning, on a cmm, but CMM ( the hexagon distributor in Canada ) has developed a good one. It includes videos and great examples !

Try www.cmmxyz.com
                    Hey jim did you go to the seminar they did a couple months back? I wanted to write a little review but I never got around to it. They did a great job at Canadian Metrology Measurments. Its amazing where they are going with these new systems they had a ton of demos from the lecia lazer scanner too the stationary cmm's. They even touch on the there own E-learning trainning that they have developed. It was very informitive and would definitly attend the next one.

Comment

Adam, I wanted to go and Elliott was mad : ) at me for not making it, but I was just too swamped, at the time...next time...
                      Jim Jewell

Comment

Hi guys - Our new B&S Global Advantage w/ V2013RC & Leitz scanning head was installed & set up last week. Unfortunately nobody is trained yet, and the class at Hexagon is January. We've been given our first challenge - scan an OD on a 3.0000±.0002" ring to get average size.

I've got plenty of Zeiss Calypso programming experience from my previous company, but no PC-DMIS. Our future programmer has run PC-DMIS V2007 at his previous company, but not programmed.

I've got the 2000 page PCDMIS manual open (on page 67, now that I'm past the table of contents). Our install technician showed us how to build & calibrate probes.

Does anyone have a <2000 page doc on how to set up your first program, or an example to follow? I realize this is a bit unrealistic, but figured I'd ask. It'd be fantastic if we could get by enough to check this one part and get out of a jam.

Thanks for the help, and will be happy to contribute down the road once we learn the machine.

Comment

Maybe you could contact the people you bought it from and "hire" them to come in for a day or 2 for "consulting work " to get a little intro before you head to your week long training class next month. It so important to start out on the right foot by doing things correctly rather than 2nd guessing or having to correct programs down the road that you wrote while you were "learning".

Comment

Originally posted by askulte View Post
                            Hi guys - Our new B&S Global Advantage w/ V2013RC & Leitz scanning head was installed & set up last week. Unfortunately nobody is trained yet, and the class at Hexagon is January. We've been given our first challenge - scan an OD on a 3.0000±.0002" ring to get average size.

I've got plenty of Zeiss Calypso programming experience from my previous company, but no PC-DMIS. Our future programmer has run PC-DMIS V2007 at his previous company, but not programmed.

I've got the 2000 page PCDMIS manual open (on page 67, now that I'm past the table of contents). Our install technician showed us how to build & calibrate probes.

Does anyone have a <2000 page doc on how to set up your first program, or an example to follow? I realize this is a bit unrealistic, but figured I'd ask. It'd be fantastic if we could get by enough to check this one part and get out of a jam.

Thanks for the help, and will be happy to contribute down the road once we learn the machine.

Ready, Fire, Aim.

You're being asked to perform an advanced task on a machine you don't even have the fundamentals of basic operation.

It's my opinion that you should not attempt to do this without support from the supplier of the machine or someone with advanced knowledge of PC-DMIS. It would be a shame if you guys damaged your scanning head before you even have a chance to take the class.

Regardless, in the Detroit area we had an employee recently take the CMM 101 class at Hexagon Wixom, MI. The employee had to take an online pre-course and after that most of his class material was in the form of an online book. I assume that since you're in New England that you will be attending class in Rhode Island and I would expect they do things the same way at the hexagon headquarters. You should have already been asked to take the online pre-course, if you have not talk to your salesman and find out. Also talk to your salesman and see if he can get you advanced access to the online course material. You can probably follow that well enough to limp your way through getting this done if you can program in Calypso. I've never actually seen the online material but I know the 2011MR1 book I have here in my office was good enough to turn a guy loose on last year who had Mitutoyo Experience and he did very well with limited questions.

Good luck.
                            Did this post solve your problem? Let everyone know and help future users out!

Comment

Originally posted by Kaji Ryoji View Post
                              Ready, Fire, Aim.
                              Good luck.
                              I approve of this elegant distillation of the problem.
                              +1 to Kaji

Comment