total runout queston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• total runout queston

I know this is more a GD&T question more then a cmm question. Is it a ligit to call two plane surfaces that are to be parallel to eachother as a total runout dimension?? So one surface being the datum and other with surface with the total runout fcf. I can not find a example of this anywhere. I know it can control a surface to an axis that is perpendicular (like a hub to a shaft) but I can't seem to get it if there parallel. should it not be a paralleism callout. Thanks for any help on this late in the day on a friday
    sigpicSTANDING CORRECTED IS THE ONLY WAY I STAND

Definition of RUNOUT section 9.2 page 180 ASME 14.5-2009

Runout is a tolerance used to control the funtional relationship of 1 or more features to a DATUM AXIS eatablished from a datum feature specified at RMB.

9.3 RUNOUT TOLERANCE:

The type of features controlled by RUNOUT tolerances include those surfaces constructed around a datum axis and those constructed ar right angles to a datum axis.

I dont think it can apply to what you are refering to. Go with // or Profile ?

Comment

At first I thought you are totally right but now ASME 14.5-2009 section 9.4.2 total runout for control of a surfaces has me second guessing.

Comment

the axis (vector) direction of the plane would still be 0,0,1 so it could still rotate around that axis (vector)
        Last edited by ADAM WALLACE; 11-08-2013, 03:35 PM.

Comment

FIG 9.3 ( realting to 9.4.2 ) is still relating to an axis ?

Comment

Maybe this will be helpful?

http://books.google.ca/books?id=XdAK...runout&f=false

The above link says:
            "Where circular runout is applied to a planar surface at a right angle to a datum axis, it controls deviations of the circular elements of the plane for wobble, which includes orientation and form deviations of the circular elements"

Edit: Upon re-reading, this is pretty much already known. I'll leave it just in case it helps someone else.
            Last edited by Erikir; 11-08-2013, 06:22 PM.
            2012 CAD++ MR1
            Brown & Sharpe ONE
            PH10T

Comment