touch speed clarification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• touch speed clarification

I have a program running at 75 percent move speed. I need to slow the move speed down from the 75 because of false triggers moving in the z axis of the machine. My question, Is touch speed percentage is in relation to the max speed of the machine like I'm reading in the help files and not a percentage of the move speed?? I know when I adjust my jog boxs speeds that effects both. But if while traveling in the z axis can adjust move speed without it effecting touch speed. Thanks in advance for any clarification.
    sigpicSTANDING CORRECTED IS THE ONLY WAY I STAND

I think it is going to depend on the version of Pcdmis and (mostly) the controller.

If you set it up to be ABSOLUTE speeds instead of %, then you will know exactly what it is doing at all times.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I do not think you can adjust speed for individual axis, but if you hit F10, in MOTION tab you can adjust move speed.

Comment

Thanks matt I'll have to just test it out in the help file it says it control by the max machine speed so I hope thats true. It does not say that its a percentage of the move speed.
        running 4.3 I will post my findings

Comment

The touch percentage is controlled by the machines max speed not a percentage of the move speed. Your jog box speed will control both move and touch speed

Comment

hey matt is the absoulte speed something I have to change in the settings editor?? I found a toggle in the part/machine that says display absoulte speed would this change the move and touch speeds from percent to absoulte?

Comment

I would prefer absoulte speeds myself

Comment

I think so, but I'm pretty sure it is controller dependant (maybe).
                sigpic
                I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Press "F5" key, click on the "Part/Machine" tab, locate the check box that reads "Display absolute speeds:", then look in the box next to "Top speed (mm/sec):" it should be located below the previous, make sure this box has your machines top speed or the top speed you would prefer for the program. Press the "OK" button and go back to your program. In the program type:

Code:
                              MOVESPEED/ 100
                              TOUCHSPEED/ 2
                  adjust as needed for your program.

Brief explanation of all of that:
                  Display absolute speeds- this will allow you to put exactly how fast you want to go in millimeters per second. Much easier than trying to figure out percentages (imo).
                  Top speed (mm/sec)- This box will allow you to set your machines max movement speed, this way you don't have some.....smart alec....come in and change your move speed to 1000mm per sec and crash the machine. Your max speed is ultimately controlled by your controller, this will just allow you to go up to the set speed in your controller.
                  Movespeed- this is the speed that your probe will move after that statement.
                  Touchspeed- this is the speed that your probe will move as it approaches a point or target.
                  If there wasn't a wrong way, I would have no way at all.

Comment

Hi Adam !
                    The max speed depends on the CMM and on the controller, you shouldn't have to change it if the install had been done correctly...
                    You're right, absolute speed is a good way, it allows you to execute the prog on another CMM with the same parameters. If you want to keep the same speed than before, just calculate 75% of max speed for move speed and x% for touch spped. If you let 75, you will have 75 mm/s. i don't know about inches, I hope it's not 75"/s !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JEFMAN View Post
                      Hi Adam !
                      The max speed depends on the CMM and on the controller, you shouldn't have to change it if the install had been done correctly...
                      You're right, absolute speed is a good way, it allows you to execute the prog on another CMM with the same parameters. If you want to keep the same speed than before, just calculate 75% of max speed for move speed and x% for touch spped. If you let 75, you will have 75 mm/s. i don't know about inches, I hope it's not 75"/s !!!!!
                      +1 thanks jeff

Comment

Speaking of touch speeds and getting accuracy and so forth......

WHY is it that when you go to calibrate your probes, if you tell Pcdmis that the tool has moved, you are then prompted for a SINGLE TOUCH on the 'top' of the ball, then Pcdmis only measures THREE MORE POINTS in DCC, using the 1 point you manually measured then 3 done in DCC to locate the tool? Shouldn't Pcdmis re-take that single touch YOU made so that all 4 touches are made in DCC to locate the tool properly (accurately)?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                          Speaking of touch speeds and getting accuracy and so forth......

WHY is it that when you go to calibrate your probes, if you tell Pcdmis that the tool has moved, you are then prompted for a SINGLE TOUCH on the 'top' of the ball, then Pcdmis only measures THREE MORE POINTS in DCC, using the 1 point you manually measured then 3 done in DCC to locate the tool? Shouldn't Pcdmis re-take that single touch YOU made so that all 4 touches are made in DCC to locate the tool properly (accurately)?
                          I thought (yes, it's possible !) that PC-DMIS used only the 3 DCC points to calculate a plane which gives the vector to find the center and after calculates the radius...
                          If it takes the 4 hits to calculate the sphere, it can't do it accurately because of the small sector of probing...

Comment

Four hits even with one manual is still enough to locate a sphere for DCC measurement. These are not the final hits for calibration, they are just sphere locating hits, they only need to be a tenth of a typical prehit distance or better in accuracy, and are likely much better than that (even the manual hit).
                            --Brian

"The best way to predict the future is invent it. This includes your very next action."

Support: Hexagon Metrology Support Center
                            Training: Hexagon Metrology University

Comment

Nope, it's making a sphere, with the minimum number of points (4), 1 manual hits + 3 DCC hits.

Due to the way that Pcdmis calculates a sphere, no probe comp is used for the touches, then a sphere is made through the center of the probe, the SIZE of the tool is a fixed value.
                              sigpic

Comment