Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intersection problem with 2 lines

Hi,

I am new to PC-DMIS and I am having a problem with intersecting 2 lines. The first line is composed of points coming down a 40° angle and the second line needs to be a line on the part that is vertical and coming back up to the 40° line. I took points coming up in Z and created a line and then tried to intersect these lines. It acts as if it did, but the numbers just aren't right. I'm sure it is something really simple.

Are you in the correct work plane.

Comment

Are the vectors of the line going the same direction?
      Time for the Trolls to leave.

Comment

IF your 'back' is Y+, then the construction and dimensioning needs to be done in the X workplane (+ or -).
        sigpic
        Originally posted by AndersI
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

No they are not. The 40° line is using .766,0,.5 as my I,J,K and line 2 is 1,0,0.

Comment

Well, with the demon many things that seem simple aren't. It could be vectors. It could be a workplane issue. Your better bet, if you can, would be to measure one of the two features as a plane and then pierce the plane with a line. But if you are in the correct workplane, so the software can "see" both lines, and both lines are 2D lines and have the same value for one axis, (like both lines are 5.000 for x or y), then as long as the vector of one of the lines points to the other line it should work,(but you might have to change the order in which you select them), but if both vectors point away from each other it might not. It would be best if they pointed towards each other. A sketch always helps, as does info about which version of the software you are running. HTH
            sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

No they are not. The 40° line is using .766,0,.5 as my I,J,K and line 2 is 1,0,0.

Some thing is wrong with your 40 deg. line.Vectors should be .76604,0,.64279

Comment

I have the 3 days training on PC-DMIS and 2 days at the plant under my belt, so I will try some of these suggestions if I can. I am using ver. 3.7 M3. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Thanks for catching that one. I will change it.

Comment

Originally posted by Netter
                    I have the 3 days training on PC-DMIS and 2 days at the plant under my belt, so I will try some of these suggestions if I can. I am using ver. 3.7 M3. Thanks for the help.
                    Your graphics screen can be a great help to you. When you have a feature that is a problem, go back to it and put your cursor on the label, then hit the F9 key on your keyboard. Now in your graphics screen you should see the feature, the hits, and the vectors. This visual check will often help you to see if your vectors are wrong. HTH

Comment

It also helps to rotate to the feature so your i,j,k are always 0,0,1. I find it makes trouble shooting easier and programs cleaner if you can rotate to the nominal of the feature.
                      sigpic

Comment

I know that in the training class we would use Ctl-Tab to switch between the screens, but I can not get the graphics screen to show here at the plant. I don't remember doing anything different in the class.

Comment

Place your cursor at the right edge of the edit window and "slide" it to the left. The blue background graphics screen should be under it. I have a 21" wide screen monitor, which helps a lot. Others use two monitors so they can see all of the edit window and still have a decent amount of room for graphics. HTH

P.S. When you get the screens set the way you like them you probably want to save the view with the diskette icon on your toolbar. F1 for help menus should assist you if you don't understand what I am saying.

Comment