true position of a profile using MMC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• true position of a profile using MMC

using a scan to check a profile of a surface. how would i report true position of that profile (scan) using MMC?
    Xactmeasure will not allow MMC to be applied. i am using 2011mr1.
    i have attached an example from ASME Y14.5-2009.

thanks
    Attached Files

MMC is not allowed for profile, except for the datums in the FCF.
    PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o19 R1 SP11

Comment

Originally posted by vpt.se View Post
      MMC is not allowed for profile, except for the datums in the FCF.
      It is, in special cases, in the new 2009 standard as the OP posted. The problem is how to calculate the MMC of an irregular feature of size. The example is a square with on corner rounded to a radius. The only way I can think to do this is to break the feature into component parts and dimension each. I guess the worst of those results would be the "answer" for 'what does this profile check?'. Yet that can not be fully correct as each individual tolerance zone for each component part must be a "simultaneous" requirement so the "answer" must be cumulative not just worst case.

I have yet to see anyone suggest a satisfactory method of actually checking and reporting this.
      sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

thanks for your help

Comment

Ah, an ISO/ASME clash again... Thanks, Wes.

I hope that example never make it into the ISO STD though...
          PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o19 R1 SP11

Comment

Why is this necessary? Isn't profile call out enough? It is checks location and form.
            Pc-Dmis 4.2, Zeiss Eclipse
            sigpic

Comment

it allows the profile more tolerence with MMC the same way for hole location with MMC
              it will also allow to use a hard gage or function gage to check the profile when it would not be possible to check with a hard gage without MMC

Comment

Originally posted by BANDY View Post
                Why is this necessary? Isn't profile call out enough? It is checks location and form.
                Makes no allowance for size variance. Logically it makes sense as a valid manufacturing constraint, except for the trivial detail of it being impossible to inspect, evaluate, and report. Reminds me of the engineer who told me that when designing, an engineer should not take into consideration what manufacturing is capable of. Manufacturing should find a way to do whatever is designed! If only. . . .
                sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

So if you want to inspect this would you make a generic circular feature using planes and the two corner radii?
                  Last edited by BANDY; 08-06-2013, 05:59 PM.
                  Pc-Dmis 4.2, Zeiss Eclipse
                  sigpic

Comment