Pcdmis and Windows 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pcdmis and Windows 8

Just so I can get an idea for planning. About when will Pcdmis be approved with Windows 8 64bit? I tried 2012 MR1 it installs but crashes during loading. We currently have all PCs on XP all are about 6-7 years old. Budgeting to upgrade this year and going to skip windows 7. A few other programs we plN to use are releasing or currently have newer versions that will not even install on XP.

perhaps it's an IT dept. thing, but am curious.... why would you skip Win 7 ?? seems to me Win 8 is nice for mobile devices, but am wondering what benefits does it bring to the workstation that Win 7 doesn't have?

Comment

Windows 7 was released to fix all the newfangled stuff Microsoft screwed up in Vista, and is a now a solid operating system. Windows 8 has been in general release for all of four months, so in my opinion it is not yet proven for running "critical applications" such as production machinery. Windows 9 will be out as early as August despite Windows 8 being released only a few months ago; Microsoft has already deemed it a failure before the public has. Most of the IT world is skipping Windows Server 2012 (based on Windows 8) and waiting to see if anything better comes along before they have to give up 2008 R2.

Either move to 7 or wait for 9; don't bother with 8.
      (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

Originally posted by ewe0006 View Post
        Windows 7 was released to fix all the newfangled stuff Microsoft screwed up in Vista, and is a now a solid operating system. Windows 8 has been in general release for all of four months, so in my opinion it is not yet proven for running "critical applications" such as production machinery. Windows 9 will be out as early as August despite Windows 8 being released only a few months ago; Microsoft has already deemed it a failure before the public has. Most of the IT world is skipping Windows Server 2012 (based on Windows 8) and waiting to see if anything better comes along before they have to give up 2008 R2.

Either move to 7 or wait for 9; don't bother with 8.
        (Final Jeopardy theme in the back ground)
        Clue: Millennium, Vista, 8

What are the 3 biggest failures of the Microsoft Corporation?
        sigpic
        Originally posted by AndersI
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post

The correct jeopardy response is, "Alex, what is the latest crapware release from Microcrap?"

B&S CHAMELEON/PCDMIS CAD++ V2011

There are no bugs, only "UNDOCUMENTED ENHANCEMENTS!"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dph51 View Post
            The correct jeopardy response is, "Alex, what is the latest crapware release from Microcrap?"
            +1 for answering in the form of a question.
            dph51 thereby wins a Colonial Penn life insurance policy of at least 5 units.......

Comment

Originally posted by ktm3301 View Post
              Just so I can get an idea for planning. About when will Pcdmis be approved with Windows 8 64bit? I tried 2012 MR1 it installs but crashes during loading. We currently have all PCs on XP all are about 6-7 years old. Budgeting to upgrade this year and going to skip windows 7. A few other programs we plN to use are releasing or currently have newer versions that will not even install on XP.
              Most (if not all) enterprise software packages are not designed to run on win8.
              They dont work with that stupid f%$£d-up touch interface, and getting the desktop working properly is a pain in the a$$.
              Cad software etc doesnt work properly on win8 either.
              We tried to install nx(64bit) on a brand new win8 laptop and the resulting confusing mess was enough to make the it weenies remove win8 and pop win7 pro on it.
              If microsoft update win8 to windows blue later this year then wait for that to see what direction they are going with the interface.
              If they stay touch only then wait for software updated to use it.
              If they make the desktop properly accessible again then it may be ok to use.

In short:
              You cannot go to windows 8 and skip windows 7 if you want to use your pc/laptop at work.
              Last edited by pwhitsa; 02-25-2013, 10:49 AM. Reason: added note
              Roses are red
              Violets are glorious
              Don't try to sneak up
              On Oscar Pistorius.

MIL-TFP-41C

3.7mr3, 2012mr1, 2013mr1

Comment

all passengers made it from point A to point B just fine on a 757. But now? there is the Dreamliner 787. We all know how that is working out.
                moral of story... the latest that comes out of Seattle (Redmond) or any manufacturer for that matter is not necessarily the best for the customer. Applicable to just about anything.
                (plus, I don't see a CMM anywhere in those insipid Windows 8 ****-tube commercials)

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post

What is "Every other version of Windows Micrsoft puts out you should not use."
                  Did this post solve your problem? Let everyone know and help future users out!

Comment

As a side not, PC-DMIS2013 is coming soon, I heard that 64 bit and touch interface were going to be either demo'd or released but I'm not certain about either.

Sans the metro interface, 2012MR1 is 100% supported for Windows 7 and [I]should[I] work in windows 8.
                    Did this post solve your problem? Let everyone know and help future users out!

Comment