Summary mode vs Command mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summary mode vs Command mode

I have heard and read that some experienced programmers consider Summary mode to be pretty much useless and that a serious programmer would never use it.
    In other words, its a sort of "sissy" mode.

Au contraire mon fraire.

I have been programming with PC-DMIS for about 10 years now.
    I learned by doing. There was no one able (or maybe it is more like willing) to teach me.
    I was the new guy at the shop where I was working and was supposed to be some kind of hot-shot so the other inspectors were just waiting for me to fall on my face.
    I was expected to be the programmer.
    Not an operator, THE programmer. Heck, they had version 1.7 or something and virtually no programs anyway. The machine they had was used as a handy granite slab for big part lay-out.
    So, it was strictly OJT for me. I had never seen PCD. I had heard that it was the top of the line software, but most of my experience was with manual machines and a year or 2 with MM4 on DCC machines.

I started by convincing management to upgrade the software. So we soon had 3.5. There was no one to tell me that Summary mode was "sissy" mode.
    After a few months in came 3.6 and that was what I was trying to learn on.
    I was convinced that I was a useless monkey when it came to this software because it crashed on me several times an hour.
    After a few calls to support at B&S the word came out that I should revert back to 3.5 and use the 3.6 discs for skeet practice.

Now about Summary mode:
    It gives you a tree of features and commands with virtually no details. You can't see nominals, tolerances, actuals, vectors... really, not much of anything except a list of features, commands and settings.
    How can that be useful?
    Well PC-DMIS does not require that you create any real code. Everything is canned, if you will. You punch an icon in a toolbar and PC-DMIS puts in the code for you.
    I stay in Summary mode about 90% of the time. I don't need to see the code most of the time. I know that its there and what it is doing. Why look at it?
    If I need to modify the code to do something that the canned operations will not do for me, I can switch to Command mode with a mouse click.
    I can also expand any feature or setting or command in the Summary tree anytime I want if I want to see what is in there.
    I can see about 5X more program in Summary mode than I can in Command mode.

To the folks that want to stay in Command mode all of the time: Do you also want to fill out an inspection report on a 4-part form with carbon paper on an old Underwood typewriter?
    Remember completing a 30-page AS9102 with black ink?

You want to create errors?, Crashes?
    Keep the program is Command mode and let a novice at your keyboard.
    Its much harder to f things up from Summary mode. You hafta kinda work at it.

I have some other reasons why I like Summary mode over Command mode, but I will leave off for a while and let the flames begin.
    Lately, it occurs to me
    What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

It's all about what your style is tuned to. Because my style is tuned to Command Mode I'm a useless monkey in Summary Mode.

Comment

+1
      Originally posted by Josh Carpenter View Post
      It's all about what your style is tuned to. Because my style is tuned to Command Mode I'm a useless monkey in Summary Mode.
      Command mode is just the way I learned. Also I don't have to worry about the other monkeys in Inspection messing with the CODE because they only have access to Operator Mode and you can't see any code (Summary or Command) there.
      DeWain Hodge

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Carpenter View Post
        +1
        PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o22.1 SP2

Comment

I use the command mode.

but, then I prefer to listen to vinyl lp's rather than mp3's or cd's because I like to hear all the nuances of the artists.

B&S CHAMELEON/PCDMIS CAD++ V2011

There are no bugs, only "UNDOCUMENTED ENHANCEMENTS!"

sigpic

Comment

You're argument is compelling. Honestly, in 2 years of this programming gig I've never even tried to use Summary mode. I'm kind of interested to see how it works out.

Comment

I only use summary mode on programs run by operators.
              They are read only files saved in summary view.
              Roses are red
              Violets are glorious
              Don't try to sneak up
              On Oscar Pistorius.

MIL-TFP-41C

3.7mr3, 2012mr1, 2013mr1

Comment

Command mode all the way.

Lets you see if your vectors and theos are right at a glance - in fact you can see everything at a glance
                Applications Engineer
                Hexagon UK

Comment

For some (many) things the summary mode is clearly superior to command mode. For example the facts that you see more of your program and that the program structure is shown - loops and conditions are indented, so you can easily see if you put the ENDxxx at the right place.

The value of seeing dimension results directly in command mode is diminished by the fact that FCF:s do not show their result. Summary mode combined with the status window gives you the best view of your program - compact program display + dimension results.

For number-fiddling, quick changes, hand-writing code etc. nothing (available in PC-DMIS) beats the command mode.
                  AndersI
                  SW support - Hexagon Metrology Nordic AB

Comment

Originally posted by AndersI View Post
                    For some (many) things the summary mode is clearly superior to command mode. For example the facts that you see more of your program and that the program structure is shown - loops and conditions are indented, so you can easily see if you put the ENDxxx at the right place.

The value of seeing dimension results directly in command mode is diminished by the fact that FCF:s do not show their result. Summary mode combined with the status window gives you the best view of your program - compact program display + dimension results.

For number-fiddling, quick changes, hand-writing code etc. nothing (available in PC-DMIS) beats the command mode.
                    Since I have the Edit window on a second monitor, how much I see of the program code is not really an issue. Sure, I have become somewhat of a 'scroll wheel monkey', but I have set the Edit|Preferences|Edit Window Colors to such that I can find what it is I need relatively quickly.
                    I agree that FCF results not showing in Edit window sucks. Also....*Top Secret* In 2012MR1 (Tech Preview) the cursor in Win 7 goes into annoying spin mode when viewing Status Window, so let's hope that gets fixed eventually.
                    I'm basically a creature of habit, so I still dance with who brought me (Command Mode) but am certainly not averse to venturing into Summary when I get extra tinker time. It's a good thing.
                    My philosophy of the OP is akin to a small statement I once read underneath the wine list on the menu of my favorite little Mexican restaurant in San Diego.
                    "The 'correct' wine is the wine you like"......
                    Amen.

Comment

What AndersI has stated I can agree with about the Summary and Command mode.
                      There is issues that some version of PC-DMIS with the combination with the Status Window and some dimension call outs. For example with the Status Window open and the Dimension Locations are open and you select a Feature to dimension the Status bar at the bottom of the screen will take forever to update. The Status window will show the results for a brief second and then will be blank or show the last dimension call out in the Edit window. As for the curser spin mode that was for the Settings window using version 4.3mr3 to the current version with this issue coming and going. I just tried this Settings Window on a Sheffield Endeavor 9.9.7 with PC-DMIS 4.3mr3 on a XP PC. Instead of the cursor acting up the probe on the graphics screen blinks. If I remember correctly this issue has been brought up in the past user forms. I have had this problem corrected with some custom versions of PC-DMIS in the past. But as everyone here has experience things that use to work on one version that’s been release will not work on another. I tried the Settings window with the Sheffield Endeavor 9.9.7 with PC-DMIS 2011mr1 Build# 226 and PC-DMIS 2012 Build# 516 on a XP PC with the same cursor issue with the same test program. Then I tested this on the Global 12.22.10 Windows 7 with PC-DMIS 2011mr1 Build# 338, PC-DMIS 2011mr1 custom Build# 241, PC-DMIS 2012 custom Build# 52, PC-DMIS 2012mr1 TP Build# 562 and 2012mr1 TP Build# 568 with the same issue.
                      RESOLVED 2013 PCD-18924 Settings window causes 'cursor thinking' to blink rapidly.

Comment

Another issue with some version of PC-DMIS has been with Summary Mode is the “END DIMENSION” being removed after selecting the Dimension Location call out with the left mouse click and dragging the Dimension Location call out to a different place in the program. This has been fix with 2012mr1 Technical Preview.

Comment

summary mode has some issues when you are editing, after selecting something you have to wait for it to actually select it or you will be editing the wrong feature! My preference is command mode and I toggle summary for anything I need to breeze through the program quickly or if i'm sure of the nominals. I like running in command mode as well. I ALWAYS switch over to summary mode after I do final collision detection just to make sure everything makes sense, I want my program to be as efficient as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by ClayT
                            Ran into a show stopper for us with summary mode.
                            Can't launch embedded pictures when in summary mode.
                            With V 3.7: you can launch pictures from Summary mode by using Ctrl_U. The Execution window pops up and the program will not continue without action in there.
                            Lately, it occurs to me
                            What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Comment

Commando mode is the way!!

We program in command mode, all progams are ran on the CMM in Op Mode and all programs are secured so the operator can only download and run.
                              Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
                              Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

Comment