Iges files (import translation problems)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iges files (import translation problems)

We are running PC-Dmis 2010 MR2. I am trying to import an IGES file into my program that is 82.1 MB. When I import it in it shows up as just a big black blob. I am wondering if IGES file can be too big to use. I import models every day and this is the first one i have ever had troubles with but it is probably the biggest one I have ever done. If you have any suggestions it would be very helpful. Thanks.

There are 2 'ways' to import IGES into Pcdmis, try the other one, it will be in the settings page on the import. I would guess that you are getting un-trimmed surfaces. If the alternate import does not work, then they gave you a crap IGES file with all the garbage in it.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

It is possible that the "alternative" version isn't available in v2010.

Try exporting the IGES file (from your CAD software) with another configuration.
      PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o19 R1 SP11

Comment

Originally posted by vpt.se View Post
        It is possible that the "alternative" version isn't available in v2010.

Try exporting the IGES file (from your CAD software) with another configuration.
        Even in V3.7 there is more than one 'way' to import IGES files, several options and combinations of ways. B curves, C curves as well as a couple others.
        Last edited by Matthew D. Hoedeman; 11-29-2017, 07:37 AM.
        sigpic
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

That is the setup window for IGES import - I thought you were referring to the two versions available under Import->IGES.

It used to exist two versions of the menu option IGES import, but the alternate way (that used to exist) does not exist any longer (which I thought you were referring to).
          PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o19 R1 SP11

Comment

Ask your cad people to give you a STEP file instead. Or YOU can translate into STEP if you have CAD knowledge. I have troubles with IGES files, for instance edge points do not work properly with IGES files in my system. STEP has never failed me.

Comment

Originally posted by vpt.se View Post
              That is the setup window for IGES import - I thought you were referring to the two versions available under Import->IGES.

It used to exist two versions of the menu option IGES import, but the alternate way (that used to exist) does not exist any longer (which I thought you were referring to).

That's what I thought he meant also - the '2nd' method (which was actually the original one) was removed as it was a third part piece of software which hexagon had to pay a license fee for, for each seat sold. They removed it and set about making their own one comparable which took a few versions.

Back to the original problem though - have you tried close and reopen the program? (there was a version with a graphics issue which resolved itself by shutting and reopening the program)
              Automettech - Automated Metrology Technology

Comment

My bad, I was mainly refering to the B curve and C curve options.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by robertcolorado View Post
                  Ask your cad people to give you a STEP file instead. Or YOU can translate into STEP if you have CAD knowledge. I have troubles with IGES files, for instance edge points do not work properly with IGES files in my system. STEP has never failed me.
                  +1
                  I like using STEP files to!
                  PC-DMIS 2011 MR1

Comment

Incase they're using Solidworks, VDAFS has usually given me slightly better results than STEP, especially on torus and revolved surface features. There's definitely something in Solidworks' IGES encoding that doesn't play well with ANY other software...
                    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

i was going to say this. Works for me every time.
                      PC-DMIS CAD++ 2012 MR1

Comment