Die detail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Die detail

Photo of die attached that I am being asked to provide data on. What's the best way of going about this ??? I have very little reverse eng experience and even less at working with dies. Help !!!

Dave
    Attached Files

I feel sorry for you, pal, I really do. Unless you have a scanning head on the CMM, you are in for a LOT of work. You will have to do a WHOLE LOT of liner-open scans and cover the entire area like a piece of woven cloth. Your best bet would be to turn off the probe comp and let your cad department offset the surface by your probe radius. This is because unless you use SURFACE points for the scan with 3 surface sample hits, you will ONLY EVER get 2-D probe comp, NOT 3-D while scanning. I would do the liner scans with a 0.5mm MAX increment and make them no more than 2mm apart. Then, when you post out the data, your cad department will still whine about the lack of data. What I just told you to do will probably take about 15 or 20 hours using any kind of a touch-trigger probe.

So, if you DO NOT have a scanning head, I would suggest you farm the job out.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I've done a lot of that here lately. I don't have a scanning head, so it's all points. Depending on how much information is required, you are going to have multiple programs. I always leave probe comp on, and yet to have much of a problem. Save the alignment, and do scans every .25 deep, .05 spacing, then, convert to points. After multiple programs (the size of the files will be HUGE), export the scans to an .igs file. Start a new program, and import all of the .igs files - you will have one big cluster of a cloud. Then, pass it onto engineering for their enjoyment.
      sigpic Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, but rather a skid in broadside, totally worn, proclaiming WOW What a ride!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Gardner
        I've done a lot of that here lately. I don't have a scanning head, so it's all points. Depending on how much information is required, you are going to have multiple programs. I always leave probe comp on, and yet to have much of a problem. Save the alignment, and do scans every .25 deep, .05 spacing, then, convert to points. After multiple programs (the size of the files will be HUGE), export the scans to an .igs file. Start a new program, and import all of the .igs files - you will have one big cluster of a cloud. Then, pass it onto engineering for their enjoyment.
        You can export a scan line AS points without converting it INTO points within Pcdmis first, it is in the export options list. I have found when I was doing 2-D scans (quicker with the CMM than getting out the camera) that it will help the speed of the processing if you do NOT show the individual touches of the scan, there is an option for this in the scan window. Also, the CAD department might want BOTH points and the polyline that the scan exports as, and if you convert it into points, then the polyline is lost, so just export it twice, once as a polyline and once as points. Leave the scan lines as lines in Pcdmis.
        sigpic
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

What Matt Said.
          sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

Which time, Paul(a)?
            sigpic

Comment

Both, but I would not farm it out. It is for a stamping, looks like a lot of tolerence there.

But I also use the 3D scans, point compensated and show all points and output them to an Iges. You CAD Department should be able to use that.
              I would do open linear and go from inside out. Has not failed me once. Using either a TP20 or a TP2, Though for scanning I perfer a TP6
              sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

Unfortunatly, whenever I create scans as points, PC-DMIS crashes on me. Thats the only reason that I go back and turn them into points.
                sigpic Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, but rather a skid in broadside, totally worn, proclaiming WOW What a ride!

Comment

But, there is no need to turn scans into points unless you are going to dimension those individual points. If you want to EXPORT the scans as points, simply go to the EXPORT IGES and make the SETUP look like this:

Then export the data. You will then have an IGES file of all the individual points from all the scans. It will help keep your file size down and help keep the edit window 'clean', and it will be REALLY clean if you tell it to NOT show the individual hits of the scans. Your scan will then only have 4 or 5 lines of text showing in the edit window, no matter HOW many point there are in it. AND, you DO have to mark BOTH of the options that are circled in RED.
                  Last edited by Matthew D. Hoedeman; 02-21-2007, 01:31 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

do a bunch of liner scans (like alot in two or three directions) then after the machine cuts it to what you scanned let the die maker spot it in cuz your never gona get it exact with a touch trigger probe.

Comment

If you had point data whether it be vector points or scans, why worry about posting out an iges at all? I usually post out the information to an .xyz file (which will be a viewable text file) and then let the engineer(s) worry about it. Almost all current CAD packages support the import of xyz data and will place points within a matter of seconds within the environment the engineer is used to and it is also very easy for them to create workable models with these points. Then there is no translation involved either.

Just my .02
                      DCCFreak

Comment

if thats for a stamping, then why the holes in the bottom and on the edge of the radius?
                        It looks like a diecast die that needs help. take a couple of scans for the top radius, bunch of horiziontial scans for the end of the part. about .25 to .5 apart at .025 distance between points. Take some vertical for the bottom radii and the side radii.
                        do more camping and hiking
                        v 4.1/ v3.7 mr3
                        DEA Beta w/tutor P controller

Comment