Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V2011 MR-1 install on a new Windows 7 PC

We received a new Windows 7 CMM PC a while back,
    IT will have little to do with certain applications (such as PC D-MIS).
    We had to add two COMM ports to the PC - did so with a StarTech Duel Profile PCI-Express RS232 Serial Adapter Card.
    IT confirmed the COMM ports seem to be working correctly.
    I tried installing PC D-MIS V2011 MR-1 and it worked at first but sometimes the PC would see the machine, other times it would not (get machine not responding error sporadically).
    Not having much time to screw around with it, we used the old PC.
    But now, IT says we need to get the new PC working by November 9th,
    we asked them to re-image the machine to the state it was in when we first attempted to install PC D-MIS and got the PC back from them.
    Does anyone have a step by step instruction on a fool proof way of getting V2011 MR-1 installed and working on a windows 7 PC.

I have 5 new computers recently upgraded to Windows 7 and didn'thave any problems. I bought computers that were already capable of running software efficiently without having to install extra COMM ports or graphics cards or anything. We installed just same as if it were windows XP and had zero issues. Not sure of anything your doing outside of normal installation procedure....but I would try it again in the normal fashion. I'm sure you have an SMA if all else fails.
    The reason everyone doesn't succeed is because a method has not yet been devised where a person can sit down and slide uphill

Comment

1st off why 2 comm ports?
      If your controller supports it I would go to rj45 with win7.
      If not you should get your IT dept to buy a pc with an onboard rs232 port.
      They are freely available but if your IT dept is anything like the weenies we have then you have to tell THEM what to buy.
      As rs232 is uncommon these days your IT dept will not automatically spec a pc with it.
      pcdmis does not like adaptor cards for communications with the controller.
      You may have to power the controller down every time you get a comm error.
      Thats not good for the controller.
      Ask them whats cheaper, a new pc or new controller.
      Roses are red
      Violets are glorious
      Don't try to sneak up
      On Oscar Pistorius.

MIL-TFP-41C

3.7mr3, 2012mr1, 2013mr1

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Andrews View Post
        I have 5 new computers recently upgraded to Windows 7 and didn'thave any problems. I bought computers that were already capable of running software efficiently without having to install extra COMM ports or graphics cards or anything. We installed just same as if it were windows XP and had zero issues. Not sure of anything your doing outside of normal installation procedure....but I would try it again in the normal fashion. I'm sure you have an SMA if all else fails.

I installed several versions of pc-dmis on multiple XP computers with no issues using the basic method detailed meticulously by Matt Hoedeman.

Then came Windoze 7 and v2011. No it is not the same as an XP installation. NOT at all.

You need the special technical bulletin about proper file locations that was included in the release notes for v2010MR3 (and no where else that I know of.).

You also need to "run as administrator" even if you are logged in as administrator because Simon says you must ask Simon to say before Simon says.

The little set of printed instructions the Hexag000ns send out with the coasters state in bold after "normal" installation instructions "After performing all of the above, please call our Technical Support Line at (800) 343-7933 to complete your PC-DMIS setup, as there may still be some critical files that require transfer, depending on the machine being used." Ignore that at your peril.

Or just fire up the spotlight to cast the summoning signal on the clouds at night and wait for Alex and Buck to save the day with the new logo.

sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Originally posted by 12345 View Post
          We had to add two COMM ports to the PC - did so with a StarTech Duel Profile PCI-Express RS232 Serial Adapter Card.
          IT confirmed the COMM ports seem to be working correctly.
          I tried installing PC D-MIS V2011 MR-1 and it worked at first but sometimes the PC would see the machine, other times it would not (get machine not responding error sporadically).
          Are the serial ports USB to serial converters? If so, it's probably your Energy Saving settings (freely translated from Swedish, I don't have an English Windows) in Windows that is interfering. Go to Control Panel, Energy Saving, and make sure that it will never turn off power to HD or USB. The Windows definition of 'inactive' is that mouse and keyboard are unused for X minutes - run a long part program, take a lunch break, and X minutes may have gone, power turned off, machine dropped...

Edit: Seems I can't read - you said "PCI-Express RS232..." - but perhaps Energy Saving can turn off these kinds of ports too?
          Last edited by AndersI; 10-25-2012, 11:44 AM.
          AndersI
          SW support - Hexagon Metrology Nordic AB

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Cisco View Post

You need the special technical bulletin about proper file locations that was included in the release notes for v2010MR3 (and no where else that I know of.).
            Not needed, they are listed in the help file from 2010MR3 and onwards.
            PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o19 R1 SP11

Comment

Originally posted by vpt.se View Post
              Not needed, they are listed in the help file from 2010MR3 and onwards.

Thank you. I did not know that.
              sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

@OP, did you run PC-DMIS or install files as Administrator? Window 7 has a higher requirement on security. Run it as Administrator could fix most of installation and execution problems.

Comment