Cad models (moving origin)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cad models (moving origin)

If I import a cad model and the orgin is out in space. Is there a way in PC DMIS ver. 2011 mr1 to change the location of the imported cad origin so I can use it in programing and scanning the part? Or can this only be done in solid works? My understanding was that it had to be in place on the cad model already and you matched it with you manual alignment.
    2B1ASK1

Yuppers. You understand that correctly. PCDMIS is not a CAD editor and was never intended to be. You'll have to go back to your CAD model in your CAD editing software (CATV, SolidWorks, etc) and change it there, then re-import into PCDMIS.

Comment

I'm sorry frazz but you are incorrect. We can easily move and rotate the CAD model in PC-DMIS after we import it.

Operations drop-down menu, Graphics Display Window, and Transform.

I like to open up Auto Vector Point and click on the model to see where datum surfaces are in which axis, writing them down, then Transform the model the other way to put that surface at zero.

Comment

OOPS.... I stand corrected. Thanks Mr. Carpenter. I'm going to give that a try now.

Comment

Thanks that worked, I do think know how to use solidworks and having it right before importing would be better.
          2B1ASK1

Comment

Or you can use the existing CAD origin - it's probably there because of some reason ("car coordinates", for example). If you do an iterative alignment everything lines up as it should anyway, and no need to click "CAD <=> Part" (don't even think about it!). Then you can do whatever additional alignment you want, to have the origin on the part, to match the drawing view and numbers, for example.

But match CAD and part with the original CAD origin/directions and an iterative alignment.
            AndersI
            SW support - Hexagon Metrology Nordic AB

Comment

Just remember to orient the cad theoretical axis (x,y,z) to the cmm actual axis in the f5 setup box.
              Roses are red
              Violets are glorious
              Don't try to sneak up
              On Oscar Pistorius.

MIL-TFP-41C

3.7mr3, 2012mr1, 2013mr1

Comment

Note:

Be careful with the "cad = part" pcdmis function
                check your setup... Preferences... Check boxes for ignore cad = part flag
                cad equals part can not be undone!

Comment

Originally posted by ytilauq View Post
                  cad equals part can not be undone!
                  Actually, that's not quite true. If you know exactly what you're doing, you can restore nominal values from CAD and execute a new CAD=Part. OTOH, if you know exactly what you're doing, you wouldn't need to, as the alignment would have been correct to begin with...
                  AndersI
                  SW support - Hexagon Metrology Nordic AB

Comment

Once you have imported a model you can then make the hits off the model to suit and alignment you desire. Like what was said in another thread, its good to make hits on the model and see where they have the orgin is set on the model. also a good time to check the model and make sure the vectors are correct.
                    sigpicSTANDING CORRECTED IS THE ONLY WAY I STAND

Comment