Star and/or knuckle probe

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Star and/or knuckle probe

    I am trying to build a star /knuckle probe to measure inside grooves diameter. Unfortunately, the star probe tip #2(+X axis) can't point to right when you put the magnetic TP20 to the connection( it seems point 330 to 315 degree).(I am using B&S THE ONE CMM, RENISHAW PH10T HEAD AND TP 20 CONNECTOR). When I build knuckle probe with the same problem. Anyone has any idea to fix the problem. Thank you in advance.

  • #2
    There should be a way to loosen, adjust, and then retighten the probe.
    It may take a few trys before you get it just like you want it.
    Lately, it occurs to me
    What a long, strange trip it's been.

    2017 R1 (Offline programming)

    Comment


    • #3
      THIS MAY SOUND CRAYZ....BUT......

      I have never had any sort of success with star probes. The best set-up I have found is one horizontal probe arm and then rotate 90* on wrist. No wrist then use 4 different probes. otherwise....good luck and let us me know if you have any success.

      i use a sp600Q scanning head, so mayb e star probes work better with ph10T

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by John Riggins View Post
        There should be a way to loosen, adjust, and then retighten the probe.
        It may take a few trys before you get it just like you want it.
        Thank you,John.

        Is it meaning you don't need tighten the screw?

        It seems no other component can be adjust.

        Comment


        • #5
          the star probes are attached to a ring that the vertical probe slips through. use a probe wrench to loosen the vertical probe tip. if you have a 123 block that is useful for eyeballing the squareness to whatever you are inspecting. if you don't have a wrist to rotate the star tip remember to try and keep the skew of the part as true to the machine as possible.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by frazz View Post
            the star probes are attached to a ring that the vertical probe slips through. use a probe wrench to loosen the vertical probe tip. if you have a 123 block that is useful for eyeballing the squareness to whatever you are inspecting. if you don't have a wrist to rotate the star tip remember to try and keep the skew of the part as true to the machine as possible.
            Thank you,Frazz,

            I don't have any ring to attach a vertical probe. What I have is :TP20, extension 10mm, 13mmx6.5mm star connector.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by John Riggins View Post
              There should be a way to loosen, adjust, and then retighten the probe.
              It may take a few trys before you get it just like you want it.
              Can I rotate the wrist certain amount of degree after build up my star probe to make sure #2 tip point to X+?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by homer.tan View Post
                Can I rotate the wrist certain amount of degree after build up my star probe to make sure #2 tip point to X+?
                you can rotate the wrist any setting you want in the increments Renishaw grants you. I don't use star builds, but if Frazz/John's suggestions don't work, maybe you should align the part to match your probe. A bit like allowing the tail to wag the dog, though......

                Comment


                • #9
                  Make sure the 10mm ext. is tightly in the TP20.Slip the star onto the 13x6.5 then, holding the star square with your CMM, tighten the 13mm
                  into the extension.
                  BTW, remember that TP20 doesn't "fire" when pulling the star arms straight down. That is, you have to be moving at a vector other than 0,0,1 to take a good hit.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The cluster section will rotate on the vertical part (you want this), if you have it together 180 degrees off it will tighten (you don't want that), then the stylus will tighten and lock the ring where YOU put it. It is a pain to get it just right but that's it.

                    TK
                    sigpicHave a homebrew

                    Comment

                    Related Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X