MCR20 Tool changer, can't get UNLOAD to execute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCR20 Tool changer, can't get UNLOAD to execute

I am using PC-DMIS 2011, and a MCR20 Renishaw rack. I have tools in slots 1-5, and have successfully calibrated all of those, meaning I can drop off and/or pickup any of those.

I created an UNLOAD_1 file, which contains the CONVERT 30MM to M8THRD, and a TP20 probe, no tip assigned.

I have made certain that the UNLOAD_1 file is not assigned to any of the slots on the rack.

When I have, for example TOOL_1 loaded on the TP20, and then put my cursor at the UNLOAD line of the program, and select "Load Active Probe" I get the dreaded

TR_OUTOL: Machine Parameter out of tolerance error.

Any idea what is going on here?

Thanks.
    ** "Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere!"~ Ulysses Everett McGill **

Originally posted by d.evans View Post
    I created an UNLOAD_1 file, which contains the CONVERT 30MM to M8THRD, and a TP20 probe, no tip assigned.
    Just curious, why didn't you have a tip on the UNLOAD probe if you've gone this far anyway? I can't resist asking, not that it really matters. . .

Aside from that, remove all probes from the system, and then re-start PC-DMIS. When it asks, indicate "Mo Probe Loaded". Now try the Load Active Probe on the UNLOAD command and see what that does. Maybe it will tell us something. . .

In theory, it should just come up and ask you to load it yourself, since it is not defined in a slot. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Don Ruggieri View Post
      Just curious, why didn't you have a tip on the UNLOAD probe if you've gone this far anyway? I can't resist asking, not that it really matters. . .
      ah, well, isn't that the whole point of dropping off, say TOOL_1 and leaving the probe unloaded in the first place?
      ** "Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere!"~ Ulysses Everett McGill **

Comment

I think I discovered the source of the problem, just not the solution...

Between any/every tool change the tip goes to the "Mount Point" which on my system is near the top/back of the measuring envelope. This works for all the tool changes, like if I choose to drop off Tool1 and pickup Tool4. It will go the Mount Point before and after each change, as expected. Well, at the bottom of the PCDMIS window in the fields that show the current, realtime position of the tip, when the tip is at its Mount Point, Z= -.8246" which is about 12 inches above the table. If I move the tip down to the table, the current Z position is then approx -12.7".

Now, when I go to place the cursor at the "LOADPROBE/UNLOAD1" line and then select "Operation>Load Active Probe", the error window pops up, showing that the machine is attempting to move to Z= 7.89"... not gonna happen. It ought to be Z= -7.89" or somewhere in that vicinity. This machine command will not execute, but the following one will, if you select it from the drop-down menu of commands in the Execution Mode dialog box. Where is the program getting this out-of-whack Z coordinate? Where can I adjust it?

Strange.
        Last edited by d.evans; 08-23-2012, 04:59 PM.

Comment

ah, well, isn't that the whole point of dropping off, say TOOL_1 and leaving the probe unloaded in the first place?
          Good point, I missed that, sorry. I am used to the UNLOAD probe being a complete unload, no components at all. This is because I work with many different tool changers. I don't usually work with a single MCR20, whcih is essentially a stylus changer.

I am not sure I follow your problem description. DOes the mount point work for all the other changes, just not the UNLOAD? Can't you just re-learn a new MOUNT POINT?

Comment

If the unload probe is not assigned to any of the slots in the rack it will not load as it doesnt know where to go.
            You need one spare slot in the rack if you want have an unloaded option.
            (read the help files on the probe changer it explains all this)
            If you only have an mcr20 you dont need an unload option as you can only change tp20 modules with it.
            Roses are red
            Violets are glorious
            Don't try to sneak up
            On Oscar Pistorius.

MIL-TFP-41C

3.7mr3, 2012mr1, 2013mr1

Comment

Now working with PCDMIS 2011 MR1, and this problem has resurfaced. Can't figure out how to solve it.

The command in the execute window is trying to take the machine to a location it can't possibly reach...Unload Issue.jpg
              I can't figure out where the Z=8.8652 is coming from (See attached Pic). That is not my "Mount Point" coordinates.

I tried adjusting the "Mount Point" to a location that the machine can reach, but for the "Unload" tool, it still tries to go to this unreachable location right away. Help?
              Last edited by d.evans; 09-03-2013, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Here is what PC-DMIS help says...To Drop off a Probe without Picking up a New Probe
                You may want to drop off the current probe into the probe changer without picking up a new probe from the changer.

To do this:

Create a dummy probe file in the Probe Utilities dialog box for a probe that doesn't exist. Name it something like "unload". See the "Defining Probes" topic in the "Defining Hardware" section.

Click the Setup button. The Probe Setup dialog box appears.

Select this probe file from the Probe File Used with Probe Changer to Force Unload Only list.

Click OK to close the Probe Setup dialog box.

Access the Slots tab in the Probe Changer dialog box and ensure that the probe is NOT assigned to any slot in the probe changer.

Click OK to close the Probe Changer dialog box.
                I have followed this exactly, but I still have this TR_OUTOL: Machine Parameter out of tolerance error

Comment

I'm curious as to what the probe head refers to as its "z" location when NO probe is attached?
                  doesn't a calibrated probe read from center of ball?
                  no ball= z?
                  it was good yesterday, why are you bothering me TODAY?

Comment

Originally posted by thesecretpresident View Post
                    I'm curious as to what the probe head refers to as its "z" location when NO probe is attached?
                    doesn't a calibrated probe read from center of ball?
                    no ball= z?
                    Not sure what the answer to your question is. I suppose that is part of my question as well.

The Help instructions do not spell it out (per se) but when it says to "Create a dummy probe file in the Probe Utilities dialog box for a probe that doesn't exist. Name it something like "unload", does it mean to create everything just short of the tool/stylus?

The way I have my UNLOAD probe set up, it is just that....30MM_TO_M8THRD/TP_20/then nothing. I named this "UNLOAD."

Comment

I tried to adjust the "Mount Point" in the Changer setup window. I made sure it was a negative value. I used -.25", but it keeps trying to go to this impossible-to-reach positive z value. Can't figure out how to adjust it.

Comment

OK, I figured it out myself. Even after submitting a Hexmet ticket, I had to figure it out myself. What is so danged difficult to just tell someone, when they are asking for help..."hey, there is a predefined DUMMYHEAD you need to select from the dropdown list when making an UNLOAD file. Do that and it will work."
                        Oh and by the way, this critical information isn't in the PC-DMIS Help files either.

SMH

Comment