3d best fit alignment problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3d best fit alignment problem

I want to do a 3d best fit alignment using 8 constructed points I manually inputted with no CAD and no existing axis system in place. 4 are nominal values and 4 are actual values previously taken. When I try new alignment and best fit, select the 8 points, 3 Dimensional, Least Squares, weight of 1.000 to all, the result is no rotation or translation. Prior to trying best fit, the largest 3d deviation from a nominal point and it's actual partner is approximately .023". After best fit, I'm hoping to see an almost equal 3d deviation between each nominal and partner. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help.

Did you allow any rotation/translation in the 3D-alignment or not?
    PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o22.1 SP2

Comment

in addition to vpt.se's suggestion, for 3D aln you may wish to use vector instead of least squares.

Comment

Originally posted by zox20 View Post
        Prior to trying best fit, the largest 3d deviation from a nominal point and it's actual partner is approximately .023". After best fit, I'm hoping to see an almost equal 3d deviation between each nominal and partner. What am I doing wrong?
        As far as the best-fit not fitting - it sounds like you only have 4 points, but you have entered the nominals into 4 point features, and the actual into 4 other point features. This creates 8 points with no measured deviation, so there is no deviation to fit. You should create 4 generic point features. Enter the nominals into the THEO line and the measured into the ACTL line. This will give you 4 points with measured deviation. Then the best fit will fit.
        Last edited by DJAMS; 08-05-2012, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I did allow rotation and translation. DJAMs got me thinking. Edit the 4 constructed points of actual values and plug in their nominal values into their theoreticals. Then best fit again only using the 4 edited actual points. Now when I open the alignment to see the values, I have something other than zero. I'll verify the deviation lengths tomorrow at work. Thank you.

Comment