Offsetting auto feature hits from a model?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offsetting auto feature hits from a model?

I’m checking a part they want checked prior to finish machining. I am using auto features on a model that is the size of the finished part. When I know how much material is supposed to be left on the part, is there somewhere I can input that info in Auto Plane, Auto Vector Point, etc? I don’t see a place in any of the boxes to enter an offset.

Thanks
    CAD++ 2017 R1, Catia Translator
    B&S Xcel, Renishaw PH10MQ

Thickness. May not work as you would expect for circles - it does not change the diameter. Intended use is for sheetmetal (hence the terminology).

Comment

Thanks, but I’m not sure what you mean by “Thickness”? I’m taking vector points and creating planes, etc, on 5-axis surfaces and creating planes on compound angles.

Comment

all autofeatures have both THEO THICKNESS and ACTL THICKNESS. You can enter in a value for these, and I think you can also use a variable (but to use a variable, you have to do each one by hand in the edit window, not the auto feature window). THICKNESS can be a positive (extra stock) or a negative (not enough stock) value.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by AndersI
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by DmisDave View Post
          Thanks, but I’m not sure what you mean by “Thickness”? I’m taking vector points and creating planes, etc, on 5-axis surfaces and creating planes on compound angles.
          The input box for thickness is just under the feature vector in the dialog box in recent pcdmis versions. It offsets the feature from CAD by the value you enter. For your situation you need to enter a THEO thickness. We do this all the time for roughing operations on machined parts.

Edit: you can also see "thickness" in the edit window if you set "show feature params = yes".
          Last edited by DJAMS; 07-19-2012, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Got it... Thanks guys.

Comment

I've had success by clicking a points on the model then modifying the target by the appropriate amount for creating planes. Pay particular attention to the axis polarity of the stock on condition for surfaces. Simply modify the diameter on auto diameter for stock on conditions.
              sigpic
              I am fluent in three languages:
              English, Sarcasm & Profanity.

Comment