Ah Renishaw.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah Renishaw.........

Good morning....It's that time again when the "new toy" people from Renishaw gave us a visit showing us their new products for production in the way of heads and probes. Question : has anyone seen or heard word of PCDMIS interfacing or plans to use thereof Renishaw's new family of touch/scanning heads such as their new Gyro 5 axis scanning system? The demo of the head and tips were impressive but the sales reps weren't up to snuff on interfacing into PCDMIS. The Gyro 5 has it's own software that interfaces with CAD programming and measurement and I'm just curious if PCDMIS is incorporated into that scenerio too.....Of course the Renishaw people couldn't answer those questions so I'm going to the people who probably can...all of you.........Thanx.....B
    Physics dictates to man why his world acts the way it does....Chemistry tells him why it smells the way it does.

I have heard that there is an effort to come up with definition within the DMIS standard that addresses this system. It may very well be that many software companies are going to hold out until the DMIS committee comes up with a "standard" solution. Rumor has it that this may happen quite soon, maybe before the end of the year (which would be incredibly quick for these types of committees).

Jan.
    PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
    Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

So that I am in the "loop"... When you speak of the 5 axis gyro scanning head, are you refering to the Renishaw Revo Probe? We were kind of wondering if that probe will work with PcDmis too.

Comment

I believe those new heads ONLY work with the Renishaw controller(UCC). So if you CMM does not have the Renishaw controller, dont hold your breath...
        Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Originally posted by Jan d.
          I have heard that there is an effort to come up with definition within the DMIS standard that addresses this system. It may very well be that many software companies are going to hold out until the DMIS committee comes up with a "standard" solution. Rumor has it that this may happen quite soon, maybe before the end of the year (which would be incredibly quick for these types of committees).

Jan.
          You have to remember that PC-DMIS is not DMIS compliant.
          Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
          Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

Comment

The scanning heads we have seen are limited to specific levels of machine. Being wired for scanning is our issue.

i.e. - our Vento needs an extra modification to do scanning.

From what I saw from the demos, the new head is based on scanning ability.
            http://baggy3.info/signani3.gif
            Excercise your mind,..... muscle works better than fat!!

Comment

Originally posted by dwade
              You have to remember that PC-DMIS is not DMIS compliant.
              Yes, I realize that, but it seems to me that PC-DMIS is only non-compliant when the standard does not have adequately address an area. With the promise of quick action, I could see them waiting a little longer.

I agree though, you never know.

Jan.
              PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
              Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

I too am intensely interested in the REVO. Has anyone heard any accuracy claims for the head? I really don't care what kind of controller or software, as I expect to need a new machine to handle it. And even if it uses pc-dmis the head movement is so radically different, I expect to have to reprogram everything anyway. As for my loyalty to Pc-Dmis see the message to B&S thread. LOL. But back to REVO, I want to know what it can hold tolerance wise. If it is only as accurate as a cmm arm, I can't use it.
                sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Yes the Revo head is involved....According to all this wonderfull pile of literature they left me, The demo involved the new Gyro scanning technology using Renishaw's Renscan family of heads especially the Revo. The brochures give all kinds of bells and whistles in how the d*mn thing will prosper me but only states the 5-axis scanning speeds up to 500 mm/sec as far as actual specs. I can't find anything here on resolution or volumetric accuracy. (convieient?) I mean the demo was neat with the laser shooting out the top of the stylus as it "found" and scanned the part. But like I said...they (the Ren. Reps.) were a bit vague when I tried to nail them down on price and availability. (they claim early 07)...just trying to see if anyone else has seen this new toy and system.....B
                  Physics dictates to man why his world acts the way it does....Chemistry tells him why it smells the way it does.

Comment

80K for a Revo and controller is what I got for a ball park. 2micron accuracy is also what I was told. Unfortunatly Renishaw is the only one I know who has done any testing.
                    Badges..... We don't need no stinkin badges.

Comment

Yeah Sean I see............kinda like the gazillion miles per gallon of certain makes of automobile promises and then you find out from "Road & Track" the actual was only 12 after they tested it....B

Comment

I was very impressed with the way it looked at the show, but thats the point of the show, lol. I did some digging when I got "home" and the pro's tell me no one but renishaw really knows.... so I take it all with a grain of salt. The retro fit prices are a bit steep IMO but if it performs like they say maybe some ppl will find the price to be reasonable....? The folks I ran into at Renishaw were pretty well versed when I grilled 'em but seemed to be quite hostile to B&S/Hexagon so that was a red flag for me.

Comment

They are hostile because Hexagon is using it's Tesa division to develop it's own line of probes thereby hoping to break Renishaw's near monoply.
                          sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Yes I have heard the same thing that they are working on there on probe system.

Comment

Yep, I knew that was the why I just didnt want to start politics lol.

Comment