how to check the squareness of the head PH9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to check the squareness of the head PH9

Any 1 knows how to do a squareness check on the ph9 head, I think is of but don't know how to check it, please help.

Why couldn't you measure your qual sphere with head at A0B0 call that feature xyz0. Now measure same qual sphere with head rotated to A90B0, A90B-90, A90B90, A90B180. Then report the location of those 4 measurements in xyz axis. One would think all 4 of these features would be in the same location if head were square.
    trice
    4.3 mr1

Comment

To machine axis?
      I square my pee-aich nine housing with a dial indicator, I can get it within one thousandth of an inch in no time. I am sure the gurus have better ideas, I think Wessy or someone else has a good post on this.

Comment

Originally posted by trice View Post
        Why couldn't you measure your qual sphere with head at A0B0 call that feature xyz0. Now measure same qual sphere with head rotated to A90B0, A90B-90, A90B90, A90B180. Then report the location of those 4 measurements in xyz axis. One would think all 4 of these features would be in the same location if head were square.
        Because those probe angles are qualified they will report being zero or within tenths....

Originally posted by DungT View Post
        To machine axis?
        I square my pee-aich nine housing with a dial indicator, I can get it within one thousandth of an inch in no time. I am sure the gurus have better ideas, I think Wessy or someone else has a good post on this.
        This is what I do, just had to do this last week as an operator loaded a part incorrectly and the head crashed into it hard enough to break the head safety. Squared the head to within .0005" then requalified the tips.
        Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
        Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

Comment

If you have an extension like PEL50 (Renishaw - M8 extension), you can take it at A90B0, for example, then check the parallelism to the Xaxis with a dial indicator by moving the CMM along the axis.

Comment

To expand on Jefman...use a long extension, even 150 if u want. Put head at 90,180, bring the probe clsoe as you can to the side of the qual sphere, lock that axis, then rotate the head to 90,0 and
            check the gap/overage now. Loosen the head and adjust half that amount and repeat, rinse, repeat until you get it as close as you can...IMHO, an indicator is overkill and time consuming, I can square the head up in cpl mins...Just sayin...
            Jim Jewell

Comment