list of probes used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• list of probes used

Hi Guys, im not an inspector so please no avalanche of advice regarding bad practice and the like, im just learning at moment, i go off to training at end of month. The question i have is this, is there anywhere in pcdmis or the probe definition box to identify the probes used in the programme apart from opening up every probe change and seeing what tip is defined, my colleague who is trying to pick it up as he is going along is adamant the best idea is to set up a probe for every stylus we have and use the stylus dia and length as the description of the probe but given how many permutations of probes and extensions to probes my drop down list for probes could have thousands of probes, any advice from you regular cmm users as to what you find works best

Personally, I have a probe file for every job, and the probe name is the job number. Yeah, there are a lot of probe files that are the exact same build up, but I know that probe file xxx is for job/part xxx. And, when the job is done, the probe file is done as well. If you just use the build up and the name and then use it for multiple programs over and over and over and over then you end up with a TON of angles in the file with only a gew used for each part. Yes, you can click on MARKED USED to calibrated them for a job, BUT, if there are other angles not used, some rookie later might just try to use one that isn't calibrated in the program. Not only that, I don't ever have probe files go corrupt (I think I've had 1 in all my years of using Pcdmis) because they just aren't around long enough for that to happen.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by armagao View Post
      Hi Guys, im not an inspector so please no avalanche of advice regarding bad practice and the like, im just learning at moment, i go off to training at end of month. The question i have is this, is there anywhere in pcdmis or the probe definition box to identify the probes used in the programme apart from opening up every probe change and seeing what tip is defined, my colleague who is trying to pick it up as he is going along is adamant the best idea is to set up a probe for every stylus we have and use the stylus dia and length as the description of the probe but given how many permutations of probes and extensions to probes my drop down list for probes could have thousands of probes, any advice from you regular cmm users as to what you find works best
      If I answer the question I think you are asking we can start from there.

Somewhere near the top of your program is the probe utility box. Click to highlight it then click edit from the drop down menu to open it.
      Top left is the current name of the probe in use & click the down arrow will drop down & list all the probes you have built up so far (V2.063, there maybe some subtle variances with different versions)
      You can also click in the toolbar in the main window onto the probe box for a drop down menu to see what is listed in the program you have open.
      Naming probes by their individual construction is a NO NO. You will not remember each probe construction for each part in two months time never mind in 4 years.
      Name the probe with part number it will be used for (your colleague is inexperienced) If you find yourself in the future constructing a duplicate probe build......don’t. Call up the original & use that.....simple.
      If you have a 'common' size like M2x20L & only A0B0 you will easily remember that is for part No 6A5703 & that is what you call up from your drop down list every time you want an M2x20L probe.
      The more programs you write the more common sizes will keep cropping up & they are easy to remember........don’t know why it just happens so I don’t query it I just use them (JR30929 = M4x20L)
      Always store your probes in their own separate folder on the 'C' Drive, same again for your programs, same again for your results & same again for your set-up folders.
      In this manner you will never be able to whinge & bleat on this forum that your probe file got corrupted or the program decided to load it's own probe build halfway thru executing the program.
      I kid you not, do a search & see what pops out of the deadwood pile.
      Do a 'Backup' into a desktop 'Briefcase' EVERY day (assuming your in Windows, Total 2) & another backup onto a portable hard drive every week-ish (Total 3) & another onto the server if your company has one every month-ish (Total4)
      I can report to you now that I have 5 years of solid uninterrupted seamless data from 28 March 2008 to the present day @ 1.00pm. Over 2k programs, up to 89off parts per program, some repeated yearly + Results...starting to add up.
      When the Auditor comes sniffing around & starts poking about under the rocks & stones expecting to see all sorts of creepy crawlies slithering out.....he gets nothing.
      He can dig for another 10 mins maybe & start squirming in the chair (my chair) & trying to get into 'tricky dicky' mode...they all eventually give up & strangely have NOT even bothered for the last 2 years.
      Sloppy Auditing aside, now that’s what I call a testimony of doing it right, everything saved, all in correct chronological sequence, alphabetical folders for each year & for each category.
      In the UK the 'Route Card' or 'Batch Card' that follows the part thru its manufacturing process until it gets shipped is in fact a Legal Document & any Cmm generated readings, results & reports are an addendum to it (7 years Min)
      Job done.
      Next......
      Poleaxe

Beware the environment you live in for it will shape you
      Be careful the friends you choose for you will become like them.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Poleaxe View Post
        Naming probes by their individual construction is a NO NO. You will not remember each probe construction for each part in two months time never mind in 4 years.
        I agree with Poleaxe and Mattew except:

I would say this is different by the requirements of the manufacturing facility.

If you are in a place that does 50+ different jobs thru the CMM on any given day, and they can change at a moments notice, make standard probes and calibrate all the wrist angles needed for all the possible jobs.

Pro: Faster results from job switching on machines (some days it’s to many change-overs to count)(five CMMs to keep up).

Con: Qualification takes 2 hours (six tips mrc20 tool rack)(we qualify twice a week and I have a program that checks the probes, which they run each shift).
        Last edited by Steven; 05-07-2012, 02:50 PM.

Comment

thanks to all for your advice, greatly apreciated

Comment

" The question i have is this, is there anywhere in pcdmis or the probe definition box to identify the probes used in the programme apart from opening up every probe change and seeing what tip is defined "

Just in case you didn't catch the "mark used" part of Matts answer, this will give you what you asked for I beleive.

TK
            sigpicHave a homebrew

Comment