Sheffiled interface settings for RS-50 with MP-35

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheffiled interface settings for RS-50 with MP-35

We have somehow managed to loose our settings while upgrading our older machine to 2011 MR1. Thought we had them backedup, but thought wrong. We have another, identical, machine that has been upgraded to the SMP400 MP so I can bring in all of the settings from that machine. My question is: What will the differences be between the settings for the two different MP's? Currently with the OOB default settings PC-DMIS is not able to initialize the machine. This machine was working fine before we messed with it so I'm sure it is something in the settings and nothing too sinister.

Thanks for any help.
    2013MR1 SP6
    Global Frames, Tesastar-M Heads, LSP-X1M/H Probes

Are these the settings you're looking for?

Should be:
    Baud: 9600
    Parity: Odd
    DataBits:8
    StopBits: 1
    sigpic

Comment

The differences:
      SMP400Baud = 9600 (MP35); 57600 (SMP400)
      SMP400Controller = 0 (MP35); 1 (SMP400)

Check the following while you’re at it:
      NeedsHomePosition = 1
      MADelayAfterErr = 0 (1 is for UMP360 Controller, default is “1” I believe, it will do weird things if you don’t change it)
      CircularMoves = True (don’t remember exactly how this works on MP35, but change it anyway, you can always change it back to “False”)
      PositionNeedsCurrentRead = False (It’ll ask for position read anytime you exec auto sphere when set to True. This setting is for machine cal purpose)
      UseVectorTouch = 0 (Per WAI)
      UsePartAlignment = True (used to move machine in part coordinates with joy stick when “Part” button on jog box is activated)
      Last edited by DungT; 12-08-2011, 11:40 AM. Reason: 57600 was 5700

Comment

Thank you very much. I assume all of those are found in the Sheffield interface section of the settings editor?

I noticed when comparing the settings of the our SMP400 machine to the default settings that there were a few differences. Curious if you know what they do?:

- Blendedmovessupport - False by default, True on our machine
        - Circularmoves - False by default, True on our machine
        - Usepartalignement - False by default , True on our machine
        - MPVectors - False by default, True on our machine

I think everything else is the same as the default settings.

Will I also need to change the SMP400 setting from "1" to "0" on the machine with the MP-35? I assume that I will.

Is there any documentation available for this stuff? Most of it is self explanatory but a manual that just gave a quick description of each setting would be helpful.
        2013MR1 SP6

Comment

Thank you very much DungT. I was still typing when you responded so you already answered many of the questions I was going to ask. Thank you both very much for the help.
          2013MR1 SP6

Comment

Glad we could help.

I have a list of description of each setting, but very old and incomplete, BlendedMoveSupport isn’t on the list. Don’t know what it is but I set mine to “False” per Sheffield for SMP400. As for MP35, I think you should set it to false also, unless it’s ver 25+.

Turn off controller and wait for at least 10 seconds (capacitors still energized).
            Press and hold #1 key on MP while power on the controller, keep #1key pressed until X-axis errors out. In the X-axis readout, the value 80.xx.x will be displayed, where xx.x version being used.
            Last edited by DungT; 12-06-2011, 12:23 PM.

Comment

OK,
              I adjusted all of the settings on both the SMP400 machine and the MP-35 machine to correspond with the recommendations given here. The SMP400 machine definitely runs better. Perhaps turning the blendedmovesupport or MADelayAfterErr off was responsible for that but I'm not sure. It seems to move for fluidly now and some seems to take the first alignment more regularly.

The MP-35 machine will now go through the homing/intialization process normally and is definitely communicating with PC-DMIS, which it was not before, but at the very end of the intialization, right when the open window pops up, PC-DMIS crashes. The first time I initialized the machine after changing the settings I got a message window saying:

unidentified FCS: BHAR 0,1.0000000,0.000000,0.000000

I clicked OK and got another one very similar to it, clicked ok and got another one, and then software crashed. Every time since then I don't get the messages, the software just crashes. The only change that I made that might have stopped the error messages was to turn CircularMoves off.

Also, I do not see the fields for setting the Parity, Databits, and Stopbits. Where are those located?
              2013MR1 SP6

Comment

It’s definitely MADelayAfterErr, it is very noticeable if your machine equipped with analog probe, and there are more settings that need to be changed if you have one.

From my recollection, it was very annoying to run PC-DMIS with MP35. Basically, they put a band-aid on it, so it would “work” with PC-DMIS. I’ve tried many different things but never happy with the results. I had to butt head with my dumbass boss to upgrade the control, almost loose my job in the process. He backed down later on and upgraded the controller.

You can change those fields with MMRunEgine if you need to. I don’t think you can in PCDMIS, but you can view it: Edit – Preferences - Machine Interface Setup

Just in case you’re interested, here is the settings for my SMP400 (v2009mr1), it has been working flawlessly.

Sheffield;AddTipOffsets;FALSE
                Sheffield;AMReminderDelay;0
                Sheffield;ARM2CompMode;FALSE
                Sheffield;AxisX;0
                Sheffield;AxisY;2
                Sheffield;AxisZ;4
                Sheffield;BlendedMoveSupport;FALSE
                Sheffield;BlendedMoveTolerance;10
                Sheffield;BypassX3forMH;FALSE
                Sheffield;CancelTimeout0;1
                Sheffield;CancelTimeout1;1
                Sheffield;CancelTimeout2;1
                Sheffield;CircularMoves;TRUE
                Sheffield;ClearErr179;0
                Sheffield;ClearSerialLine;0
                Sheffield;CommTimeout;20
                Sheffield;CompensFileName;compens.dat
                Sheffield;FixReadouts;FALSE
                Sheffield;HasPH9;1
                Sheffield;HitDelay;0.3 (Do not set below 0.3 sec, the higher the number the longer the delay.)
                Sheffield;HomeProbeWithBnSJogBox;FALSE
                Sheffield;InhibitForcedRotation;TRUE
                Sheffield;JogBoxToggle;1
                Sheffield;JogProbeMode;1
                Sheffield;LiveUpdateMethod;1
                Sheffield;MADelayAfterErr;0
                Sheffield;ManualMachine;0
                Sheffield;MaxClosedLoopScanVelocity;35
                Sheffield;MaximumVelocity;575
                Sheffield;MinRotaryTableAngle;0.5
                Sheffield;MovePositionTol;1
                Sheffield;MPHits;1
                Sheffield;MPPXAxis;1
                Sheffield;MPPYAxis;2
                Sheffield;MPPZAxis;3
                Sheffield;MPVectors;0 (Set to "1" if you don't have Analog probe)
                Sheffield;NeedsHomePosition;1
                Sheffield;PH9Baud;4800
                Sheffield;PH9DefaultA;0
                Sheffield;PH9DefaultB;0
                Sheffield;PH9HandBox;0
                Sheffield;PH9Port;1
                Sheffield;PH9UsesCMM;1
                Sheffield;PointDensity;4
                Sheffield;PositionNeedsCurrentRead;FALSE
                Sheffield;QualSphereDiameter;19.05
                Sheffield;ResetDelay;1
                Sheffield;RotabAddress;0
                Sheffield;RotabNormalAxis;3
                Sheffield;RotaryAvailable;0
                Sheffield;RotaryScale;2000
                Sheffield;RS232CMM;1
                Sheffield;RS232CMMPort;1
                Sheffield;ScaleX;1000
                Sheffield;ScaleY;1000
                Sheffield;ScaleZ;1000
                Sheffield;SendMNonGoManual;FALSE
                Sheffield;SendProbeOffsets;TRUE
                Sheffield;SMP400Baud;57600
                Sheffield;SMP400Controller;1
                Sheffield;ToolchangerDelay;100
                Sheffield;TrackingMoveTargetZone;5
                Sheffield;TrueManualMachine;0
                Sheffield;UpdateComm;FALSE
                Sheffield;UseClosedLoop;FALSE
                Sheffield;UseFixedScalePosition;FALSE
                Sheffield;UseNewCancel;TRUE
                Sheffield;UsePartAlignment;TRUE
                Sheffield;UseRCUButtons;TRUE
                Sheffield;UseVectorTouch;0
                Sheffield;UsingOldWcompens32;FALSE
                Sheffield;VolCompMethod;0
                Sheffield;VolDebug;FALSE
                Sheffield;VolOffsetX;0
                Sheffield;VolOffsetY;0
                Sheffield;VolOffsetZ;0
                Sheffield;WCompensMode;1
                Sheffield;XMax;999999
                Sheffield;XMin;-999999
                Sheffield;X_MECH_M_TOL;2
                Sheffield;X_MECH_P_TOL;2
                Sheffield;YMax;999999
                Sheffield;YMin;-999999
                Sheffield;Y_MECH_M_TOL;2
                Sheffield;Y_MECH_P_TOL;2
                Sheffield;ZMax;999999
                Sheffield;ZMin;-999999
                Sheffield;Z_MECH_M_TOL;2
                Sheffield;Z_MECH_P_TOL;2
                Last edited by DungT; 12-08-2011, 04:32 PM. Reason: Red text

Comment

Thanks again for all the help. The PC-DMIS crashing issue is happening with MADelayAfterErr set to 0. I'll cross reference all of your settings with mine and see if I spot any differences. Basically, everything should be the same between the two machines except that the SMP400 Baud should be set to 9600 and the SMP400Controller should be set to 0 for the MP-35 machine, correct?

There is no question that your setting suggestions improved the machine with the SMP400. I did have it pause on me in the middle of a program a couple of times yesterday. It would just stop and then I would hit stop and then continue in PC-DMIS and it would go again. Possibly an issue with running the program off the network?
                  2013MR1 SP6

Comment

Thanks again for all the help. The PC-DMIS crashing issue is happening with MADelayAfterErr set to 0. I'll cross reference all of your settings with mine and see if I spot any differences. Basically, everything should be the same between the two machines except that the SMP400 Baud should be set to 9600 and the SMP400Controller should be set to 0 for the MP-35 machine, correct?
                    Yes, that’s correct.
                    As I said before, MADelayAfterErr should set to “1” for MP35 rev 25+, “0” for older version. Your MP35 must be v25 or newer.

There is no question that your setting suggestions improved the machine with the SMP400. I did have it pause on me in the middle of a program a couple of times yesterday. It would just stop and then I would hit stop and then continue in PC-DMIS and it would go again. Possibly an issue with running the program off the network?
                    I run my programs from host computer. I’ve had similar issue when the host computer is hooked up to the network, the problem goes away when I disconnected; I don’t even go online with that computer anymore. IT guys can't touch my computer, as far as computer managing, I solely responsible for it.

Comment

I was thinking, turn off auto update, it might be taking time out looking for an update or something, anti virus software might have something to do with it as well.

Comment

Alright progress has been made, a couple of experiences to share:

- SMP400 is running like a champ with DungT's settings.
                        - On SMP400: My problem with the first alignment run after homing not taking correcty seems to be related to PositionNeedsCurrentRead. This was set to "True". Changing to "False" seems to have fixed the problem.

MP35 is doing better but not all there yet:

- I changed MADelayAfterErr to "1" but this did not correct the problem with the unidentified FCS error and program crashing.
                        - Changing UsePartAlignment to "False" seems to have fixed the above errors.
                        - I also changed UseVectorTouch to "0" and FixReadouts to "False". What does FixReadouts do anyhow?

My remaining issue is that I get a repeating error message that says "021,first parameter invalid". This comes up when I open a program and then repeats every 30 seconds or so.

I saw something in the documentation re: parameter 21 error and MPVectors = 1. I have already changed MPVectors to "0" so I don't think that is the cause. I could try switching it back. We are using a PHC10 with PH10MQ Head and TP6A probes. I haven't tried playing around with MPHits yet. That is still set to "1".

Perhaps I should also try changing the MADelayAfterErr back to "0" since that didn't seem to be the cause of the other error messages. I know we have firmware v.19 installed but I keep forgetting to check MP version. I'll do that tonight.
                        Last edited by DaSalo; 12-11-2011, 12:40 AM.
                        2013MR1 SP6

Comment

FixReadouts = “False” for machine readouts to accuracy of ten thousandths. Some older machines only report readouts to an accuracy of thousandths; turn this option to “True” for such machines.

MPVectors = “0” – PC-DMIS will track the vectors of hits by reading the position of probe before a hit is taken. Setting to “1” will cause PC-DMIS to get the vectors directly from the MP unit. “Invalid Parameter 21” indicates your system does not support it.
                          If you are using MPHits then you should use this option if supported, but WAI says otherwise….

Comment

Still haven't been able to get that MP-35 machine running. I get "021,First Parmeter Invalid" when I open a program. I have MPVectors set to "0" and MPHits set to "1". If I change MPHits to "0" the error stops but the software won't register a hit.

This machine was working with 2011 release version. That verison is too unstable to use, however, so I am about to roll back to 2010 MR3 if I can't figure something out soon.

I have been in touch with our Hexagon tech. and he doesn't seem to have a solution.

Oh, the MP is running version 19.2. I do have MADelayAfterErr set to "0" but having it set to "1" didn't seem to change anything.
                            2013MR1 SP6

Comment

I am pretty sure those settings are good, do not change them.
                              Have you re-established MEA_MECHANICAL_OFFSET?

MEA is machine comp ref point, offset distance is between home and the ball at MEA. The data is stored in Settings Editor/User_Sheffield, default value is 0. Undefined MEA could be the culprit.

Comment