Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tooling balls / spheres with car body coordinates

Can someone please tell me:
    1.) How tooling balls work on a fixture used in an automotive application?
    2.) How do I set up an alignment?
    3.) The coordinates stamped next to the tooling balls, how do they correspond to the part I am measuring?

What is confusing is that if the coordinates stamped next to the tool balls are actual car body coordinates then this part which is a climate control panel would be mounted on the air cleaner because the numbers are so small.

This is new to me...
    Thanks!
    Expert probe buster!

You would use the tooling balls the same way you pick up a fixture base. Manually measure each of the balls with at least 5 hits. Create a plane out of 3 spheres to level to. Create a line out of 2 spheres that are in the same bodyline coordinate. Then go to alignment, Level the plane you made to the correct axis as shown by the tags next to the tooling balls, rotate to the line in the direction that you picked it up (and that matches the way that the body coordinates are going in). Origin to any one of the spheres (I usually use the corner sphere). Once you origin to it, you have to select it again then select 1 of the asis & put the negetive number for that axis that is stamped next to the sphere (if the stamp shows x = 100, then put in -100 for x). hit origin for each axis. Then after you are done with them all hit CAD = PART.

Of course this only works when the tooling balls are all in the same bodyline coordinates.

Comment

When the Balls are NOT in line with each other, measure them manually, but before you align, change nominals in the edit window to the prescribed numbers. Then use an iterative alignment.

Alternatively, (what I do ) since the part control features are more important than tooling balls, use a 3-2-1 on the fixture plate, to get the machine to the part. Then use the control features.
      http://baggy3.info/signani3.gif
      Excercise your mind,..... muscle works better than fat!!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Barriage View Post
        When the Balls are NOT in line with each other, measure them manually, but before you align, change nominals in the edit window to the prescribed numbers. Then use an iterative alignment.
        +1
        Much easier with auto sphere with 1 sample hit, it’s the same as read position.

Comment

Jeff & Others,
          Thanks for your response...
          Here are some more specifics:
          The tooling balls are located, two left side of the fixture and one right side.
          The left front is X=681.48, Y=-201.43, Z=183.59
          The left back is X=565.17, Y=-178.91, Z=519.75
          The right front is X=749.78, Y=251.39, Z=176.98
          The control to be measured is face up on the fixture.
          So, I hit all the spheres, did a typical 3-2-1 alignment using the sphere. I'm not even looking at the ball coordinates...Right?
          Now are you saying I type is the above numbers for each sphere location, then hit CAD=Part?
          I am assuming my STP file sent to me has the right coordinate set up (Body) and not local coordinates..is this true?
          Please fill in anything I might be missing.
          Thanks!
          Stoneman
          Expert probe buster!

Comment

Also does anyone think these body coordinates are a little shallow for a typical vehicle or am I missing something? Isn't the origin below the front bumper to ground and then split down the middle going toward the back of the vehicle?
            Expert probe buster!

Comment

Car body origin is center of the front axle. +X is to the rear of the car, +Z is up, and (on a left-hand drive car) +Y is toward the passeger side, -Y toward the driver's side.

HTH
              v2013 MR1, v2015.1
              B&S Global 544, 555
              Mitutoyo A504 w/PC-DMIS

sigpic
              Since 1994

Never force anything. Get a bigger hammer.
              (Advice from my dad.)

Comment