Disable Auto-save

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disable Auto-save

It seems that 4.2 is constantly saving to disk even if no save command has been issued. So if you open a program make and some changes but don't save the program it still alters the file. Basically corrupting the program. How do you stop it from making unsaved changes to the program?

Automatic File Save
    The
    Automatic File Save check box allows you to automatically save the part program at
    predetermined time intervals. If this check box is selected, the default setting will save the
    program every minute. This amount of time can be changed simply by entering another value in
    the
    Minutes to Save box.
    PCDMIS
    stores the autosaved file under the title of "Autosave Copy of" plus the original file
    name. This autosaved copy can be opened in the same manner as a regular part program in
    case of some catastrophic failure of the original file. The entry in the PCDMIS
    Settings Editor for

this option reads:
    AutoSave = 0 or 1

B&S CHAMELEON/PCDMIS CAD++ V2011

There are no bugs, only "UNDOCUMENTED ENHANCEMENTS!"

sigpic

Comment

F5 then de-select Automatic File Save

B&S CHAMELEON/PCDMIS CAD++ V2011

There are no bugs, only "UNDOCUMENTED ENHANCEMENTS!"

sigpic

Comment

I know only two Autosave options:

1) “Automatic file save” as stated by phd51. With this box checked, it automatically saves the current program under a different name “Autosave Copy of (+ the original part program name)” at predetermined time intervals. The original program unchanged.

2) “Save Part Program on Execute”. If the box is checked, PC-DMIS
        will save the current program with the same name whenever it’s executed….uncheck this box (?).

3) ?

Comment

Auto-save is/was set to zero. Open a file. Make a change. Close file without saving. Open file and it has been changed. It still alters the file even if the file is not saved.

Comment

Originally posted by ArnoldRimmer View Post
            Auto-save is/was set to zero. Open a file. Make a change. Close file without saving. Open file and it has been changed. It still alters the file even if the file is not saved.

File>Close saves the program

File>Quit asks you if you wish to quit without saving >choose yes to quit or choose no & program stays open.

I try to always quit a program rather than closing a program for exactly this reason.
            sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Ah! what wessy and Matt said.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman
                QUIT, do NOT close. CLOSING saves the file. Nice, eh? Unlike every other software out there, Pcdmis will just do a save when you close without asking if you want to save your changes.
                WTF?!?!?!? HTF do you turn that off.

Why would you do that? That's broke!!!!

When is that going to be fixed?

Comment

Law of Unintended Consequences. PCDMIS is functioning flawlessly in your case, you just didn't know it. The answer was given to you, quit not close if you don't want a save to be done. Even when quitting tho the date/time stamp is altered.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhoe View Post
                    Law of Unintended Consequences. PCDMIS is functioning flawlessly in your case, you just didn't know it. The answer was given to you, quit not close if you don't want a save to be done. Even when quitting tho the date/time stamp is altered.
                    AFAIK no other software alters data without the user's intervention.
                    OK. Help me out here where is this behavior documented because the documentation seems to be written in such a way to help sell training class' not to help users.

Comment

QUIT, do NOT close. CLOSING saves the file. Nice, eh? Unlike every other software out there, Pcdmis will just do a save when you close without asking if you want to save your changes.
                      Always wondered why I could not "save as" and instead have to go to print options. PRINT should mean......um.....print I would think.But no.

Comment

Originally posted by NUGUY View Post
                        Always wondered why I could not "save as" and instead have to go to print options. PRINT should mean......um.....print I would think.But no.
                        ???

"save as" is available -

FILE/SAVE AS
                        sigpic

Comment

OK. Help me out here where is this behavior documented because the documentation seems to be written in such a way to help sell training class' not to help users.
                          F1, search for CLOSE or QUIT
                          sigpic

Comment

Read the following....

Originally posted by Wes Cisco View Post

File>Close saves the program

File>Quit asks you if you wish to quit without saving >choose yes to quit or choose no & program stays open.

I try to always quit a program rather than closing a program for exactly this reason.

Ummmm... here is the answer... again.

Originally posted by Ironhoe View Post
                            Originally posted by NUGUY View Post
                            Originally posted by ir a programmer View Post
                            ???

"save as" is available -

FILE/SAVE AS
                            Thats what I do.

Originally posted by ir a programmer View Post
                            F1, search for CLOSE or QUIT
                            Radical concept. Then again, there is the phone number in my signature.
                            When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
                            sigpic

Comment

This is a completely unorthodox convention. But you are right it is documented. No one with any computer skills would ever read the section regarding to file/open/close/quit because it is a long standing standard of all other software that "Close" means "Close" and not "Save". At best it's sorry kludge to have to restart the whole application to protect your work from a mistake or accident . It's more like a prank or trap then a usable feature.

I declare shenanigans!!!

Comment