Computer recommendations/suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer recommendations/suggestions

After years of running 3.5 on my CMM, my company finally agreed to renew the SMA. In doing so, I will need to upgrade my computer. Wilcox has their recommended minimum, which I would probably use, including maxing the video card memory (using CAD files up to 300MB). Would that be enough? What components should I be looking for in a new computer beyond what Wilcox recommends, or should I just max out everything? I want to capture everything right now that I can and then IT can whittle down what they think I do not need.

I am using two computers right know. One is a HP Pro 3000 Microtower with Windows 7 SP1, Pentium Dual Core E6300 CPU 2.80GHz, 1066MHz front BUS, 4 GB of RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series 512MB running PC-DMIS 2011, 2010mr3.
    The other computer is a Dell Optiplex GX620 with XP SP3, Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHZ 3GB of RAM, ATI Radeon X600 SE 128MB running PC-DMIS 2011, 2010mr3, 3.7mr4. The Win 7 HP make the Dell feel like a snail. I can be up running and have the CMM home and ready to run while I am waiting to enter my password on the Win XP. What a difference. I use the Dell Win XP for testing new PC-DMIS before I try it on the HP Win 7.
    What I always tell my customers is don't cheap out on your PC. You have already spent thousands on your CMM why dog it out with a cheap PC. It’s like putting GEO Metro tires on a Corvette. It just doesn’t make sense. PCs are cheap compare to the cost of the CMM. I find it strange that most home PCs have more power than what they are putting on these CMM and Vision Machines. Most IT personnel don’t understand that this not a desktop computer. PC-DMIS is a power hog. Why short yourself on a cheap PC.

Comment

I agree with davehocum, don't cheap out on the PC. Go for as much memory and video memory as possible. They sell Video Cards that are built for engineering work, you don't want a gaming type Video Card if you are working with large models. I use a Dell Precision T3400, and it works great for PC-DMIS. Some people run into a lot of issues and blame the crashes on the software when, in fact, it's just a poor PC.

Comment

I agree with davehocum as well. But just be aware that installing PCDMIS on a Windows 7 machine is VERY problematic and I would suggest getting help from Tech Support. Just my 2 cents..

Comment

Since you are working with CAD, tell IT you need the same work station as the designers\drafters\CAM programmers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhoe View Post
            Since you are working with CAD, tell IT you need the same work station as the designers\drafters\CAM programmers.
            +1
            PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o19 R1 SP11

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhoe View Post

That is a how these here Tennessee IT KO-RE-ANS do it.
              If the engineering department ramps up with more horsepower, they are back here making sure this computer has the same amount of horsepower they are using!
              Tit-4-Tat!
              Works great!
              I AM the one who KNOCKS !

Comment