Same program, different probe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same program, different probe

Ok so i have a program that runs great with no problems but we just bought a shank probe and id like to use that probe instead so i can just add the dimensions that would be easier with the new probe. Is this possiable? Im having problems it keeps saying probe not defined.

define the probe and calibrate it.
    Roses are red
    Violets are glorious
    Don't try to sneak up
    On Oscar Pistorius.

MIL-TFP-41C

3.7mr3, 2012mr1, 2013mr1

Comment

Originally posted by pwhitsa View Post
      define the probe and calibrate it.
      +1

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman
      You want to REPLACE what you're using or make the program use TWO probes? The solution is different for each.
      +1

B&S CHAMELEON/PCDMIS CAD++ V2011

There are no bugs, only "UNDOCUMENTED ENHANCEMENTS!"

sigpic

Comment

I want to replace it, and once i define and calibrate it says part program identifies a probe that isnt defined again then once i do a view path lines it says illegal tip command when the program wants to change the probe angle, is this cause i had the other probe angle change rather than this one and it thinks its the other probe after that part of my program?

Comment

My suggestion would be some advanced training, probes and alignments aren't covered in the basic class since they are abstract and rarely used during normal CMMing.

Comment

Haha ya well i have taught myself , no basic training at all, my boss seems to think i can learn it all myself. Ya i feel the same way, but can only go with what i have now. He dont pay me enough to pay for my own course.

Comment

Originally posted by FMX554 View Post
              Haha ya well i have taught myself , no basic training at all, my boss seems to think i can learn it all myself. Ya i feel the same way, but can only go with what i have now. He dont pay me enough to pay for my own course.
              Id love to sympathize, and I suppose I do on a personal levle, but would you perform self taught surgery? Believe it or not this is kinda a skill.

Comment

Ok so i have a program that runs great with no problems but we just bought a shank probe and id like to use that probe instead so i can just add the dimensions that would be easier with the new probe. Is this possiable? Im having problems it keeps saying probe not defined.
                Take the new probe and throw it in the trash, Unless its a perfect 90 degrees to the measured feature it will add error.
                sigpic

B&S Global 544
                Using 3.7mr3

Peace
                Greg

Nothin left ta dew but :) :) :) !

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhoe View Post
                  Id love to sympathize, and I suppose I do on a personal levle, but would you perform self taught surgery? Believe it or not this is kinda a skill.
                  By his reply I think he would, If not his boss would
                  sigpic

B&S Global 544
                  Using 3.7mr3

Peace
                  Greg

Nothin left ta dew but :) :) :) !

Comment

I admit im no guyu at this stuff, but come on its not brain surgery either, im just a amuetur trying to use a tool in the shop to check parts. I can do it all day without the cmm, just want to put it to good use and save time, is that not the reason were all here, plus i thought this site was used to help people like me. Anyway thanks for your input, i deceided to just start a new program with the new probe, im using the shank cause it is for a casting part with spotted holes that get finished after plating.

Comment

I admit im no guyu at this stuff, but come on its not brain surgery either, im just a amuetur trying to use a tool in the shop to check parts. I can do it all day without the cmm, just want to put it to good use and save time, is that not the reason were all here, plus i thought this site was used to help people like me. Anyway thanks for your input, i deceided to just start a new program with the new probe, im using the shank cause it is for a casting part with spotted holes that get finished after plating.
                      Howdy FMX554,

What's a guyu?

I am a cmm guru, and I can see both sides of this. The thing is there are different types of brain surgery. Do you want to perform a frontal labotomy with a baseball bat, or do you wish to use microsurgical instruments to attach a video camera to the ocular nerves? Orders of magnitude in difference.

It is quite easy to get a CMM to beep around a part and generate a report. Ever hear the term GIGO? (Garbage In, Garbage Out). Writing a program to measure a part, that will repeat with accuracy verifiable by other means of inspection is not always so easy. In fact it usually takes a good bit of time and training.

This site is here to help. The posts below are attempting to help you. Telling you that you need training above and beyond the scope of what a web forum can provide to operate that sophisticated piece of equipment and achieve accurate, repeatable results. Most everything is a trade off of some sort or another. Maybe speed is more important than accuracy. In that case I might suggest you use a yo-yo. They are dead quick. Here is a picture of mine:

http://www.noticebored.com/assets/im...e_reel_400.jpg

Your shank probe probably won't be much more accurate. Sure I am stretching a bit, but not much. So why do they make shank probes. Well, mostly because people buy them. There are some cases, where in the hands of skilled, well trained, experience persons they are the best tool for the job. But 95% of the time they are just a good way to add error and uncertainty to your cmm results.

HTH

(Hope This Helps)
                      sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

I
                        Last edited by FMX554; 03-31-2011, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Like Wes says, get some training.

Try searching the threads and read why most people don't recommend using a shank probe.

Try posting the section of your code that contains the problem you are trying to explain.

Just because your shop has a CMM, doesn't mean that it is the proper tool to use.

Tell your boss that if he expects you to use the CMM, you will need training. If he is unwilling to spring for it, don't use it.

If you goof up (or the software goes haywire) and crash the probe into a fixture or the table top, do you think your boss will just shrug his shoulders and say, "gee, I know you didn't mean to damage thousands of dollars of equipment. Let's grab a cup of coffee and have a little chat and try to figure out how to repair this." Dude, you will be out the door looking for a new job.

B&S CHAMELEON/PCDMIS CAD++ V2011

There are no bugs, only "UNDOCUMENTED ENHANCEMENTS!"

sigpic

Comment

I admit that im at a amutuer level here, but at the same time its not like this is brain surgery here. Im trying to use a tool that i have in the inspection room to make sure my dimensions are on and im trying to save time doing it. Is that not what we are all here for? And is that not what this site is for, to help people like me? I agree schooling would help me alot, but i dont need a license from the ufc to kick your *** either!
                            Rock on Dude! That attitude is why we have an "ignore user" feature on this forum.

Good Day!
                            sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Originally posted by Gregl View Post
                              Take the new probe and throw it in the trash, Unless its a perfect 90 degrees to the measured feature it will add error.
                              I think you proved everyone's point with your last post - you don't seem to grasp what is being said.

Although this is a Hexagon-sponsored forum, the vast majority of posters are not Hex employees, but users of PCDMIS (and other softwares). Many have deep backgrounds in inspections, some are brand-new, and some are even part-time, trying to figure it out on their own.

No one's blasting or blaming you (yet), just stating this "stuff" is not as simple as you or your boss ( perish the thought, my boss doesn't know?) might want to believe.

You cannot "self-teach" PCDMIS and get it right.

There are too many "what ifs", "when this happens do this", "under these conditions do this" involved, much less to attempt to train anyone on this forum.

If you have a specific question, people here are very knowledgable and helpful. Those questions "Why won't the CMM do what I want it to do?" always have more questions than answers, and most here just pass them over when they are posted.

Good luck inspecting that casting with that unpredictable shank probe (I know because I've tried 'em), which, depending on the casting method, might entail a different sort of inspection from machined features. Dang - there's one of those "when this do this's".
                              Last edited by ir a programmer; 03-31-2011, 01:23 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment