Direct Cad Interface Vs. Import

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct Cad Interface Vs. Import

What is the difference? I am looking at being able to import a Catia Part as it is received from the customer. Right now to use a Catia model it is translated into a STEP file.

I don’t have Catia on the computer that runs the CMM. Catia is grayed out under import, it is available under DCI; but it says it’s not available on my lock.

I know I need to buy the Catia option (of some kind), but I’m confused as to why if I have a Catia Model, I would need to interface it in the Catia software instead of just import it?
    CAD++ 2017 R1, Catia Translator
    B&S Xcel, Renishaw PH10MQ

Yep!
    You need the DCI module plus the Catia license = ($$)
    sigpicIt's corona time!
    737 Xcel Cad++ v2009MR1....SE HABLA ESPAÑOL

Comment

Originally posted by DmisDave View Post
      What is the difference? I am looking at being able to import a Catia Part as it is received from the customer. Right now to use a Catia model it is translated into a STEP file.

I don’t have Catia on the computer that runs the CMM. Catia is grayed out under import, it is available under DCI; but it says it’s not available on my lock.

I know I need to buy the Catia option (of some kind), but I’m confused as to why if I have a Catia Model, I would need to interface it in the Catia software instead of just import it?
      because with DCI you would import from native Catia files
      im gonna miss you bob....

sigpic

Comment

So…. I need the DCI Catia option to be able to import a Catia Part??
        Which means I have to have Catia on my CMM computer?

I thought there would be a way to use the Model I get from our Engineer (that uses Catia) by simply importing the .CatPrt
        CAD++ 2017 R1, Catia Translator
        B&S Xcel, Renishaw PH10MQ

Comment

There is Catia DCT (Direct Cad Translate). This costs less than DCI.

I have used both DCI and DCT.
          I now use neither. By choice.

DCI is a lot to manage. Unless your customer is requiring it I would stay away from it.
          DCT works ok, but whenever Catia is updated with a new release PCD is always a bit behind with the update so you will need to end up using stp or igs anyway.
          I have not found any significant problem with stp or igs files that have been translated using Catia.
          Translated with other CAD software, I have had problems (UG for instance).

Using Catia and the "save as" either stp or igs has never failed for me and I am required to do validation. I have never had a validation show more than a couple of tenths deviation.

If you have access to a Catia seat, save your money and just use stp or igs (I use both, stp for solid and igs for wire).
          Lately, it occurs to me
          What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Comment

From PCDmis Help file:

Introducing Direct CAD Interfaces
            Direct CAD Interfaces connect directly to your CAD system from PC-DMIS. This uses the native CAD data from various CAD systems within PC-DMIS.

What are Direct CAD Interfaces?
            Earlier attempts at using data from various CAD systems within PC-DMIS required internal CAD data translations that were, at times, prone to errors and data loss.

Directly interfacing with a CAD system, however, does not translate the CAD data. Instead, this unique functionality actually uses the CAD system's native mathematical routines to obtain the requested information. A Direct CAD interface also uses the CAD system's native API to access the CAD database for displaying and interacting with the geometry

Why Direct CAD Interfaces?
            Quickly and accurately measuring your part programs requires the best tools. PC-DMIS™ offers a powerful tool unmatched by other geometric measurement packages.

Enjoy the flexibility of using PC-DMIS in conjunction with CAD systems (these include Unigraphics, CATIA, Pro/ENGINEER, I-DEAS and ACIS.

Avoid the possibility of errors and limitations associated with translation of data from CAD systems into PC-DMIS' internal CAD format.

Work with PC-DMIS using CAD data native to various CAD systems.

Calculate information inside PC-DMIS using mathematical routines native to other CAD systems.

Display, and interact with a CAD system's native geometry, all the while never leaving PC-DMIS.

im gonna miss you bob....

sigpic

Comment

You could also read up on it here:

http://www.wilcoxassoc.com/versions/dciinfo.php
              Lately, it occurs to me
              What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Comment

You can also just buy your own translator tools without paying the high markup and annual SMA.
                http://www.transmagic.com/products/desktop-suites
                Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

We use Transmagic, it will convert a lot of different CAD formats. You can also change inch files to metric easy.

Comment

Open your file in catia and save it as a .iges and then inport it. Works for me like a charm. Then you don't have to keep up with the Catia Releases.
                    sigpic

Comment

Catia is cumbersome to deal with. Here we have a Catia translator with our seat that we use to translate into a more workable solid iges that we can manipulte with Pro-E or go direct to the CMM. We've done the engineering homework and found almost no degradation or form loss due to tranlation.
                      Physics dictates to man why his world acts the way it does....Chemistry tells him why it smells the way it does.

Comment