Problem Constructing a CONE

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Problem Constructing a CONE

    PCDMIS is not allowing me to construct a cone from 2 or 3 circles.....I am going to 3-different levels of a cone and measuring an 8-point circle at each level....When I try to construct a CONE, it gives me an error.....It seems like PCDMIS is only looking at the Center point instead of all the points in the circles....
    Also, I recall this working on previous versions but now it's not working in 2010 MR3????.....Can I not construct a cone using 3 or more circles????




    Thanks!

  • #2
    Originally posted by c_bearden View Post
    PCDMIS is not allowing me to construct a cone from 2 or 3 circles.....I am going to 3-different levels of a cone and measuring an 8-point circle at each level....When I try to construct a CONE, it gives me an error.....It seems like PCDMIS is only looking at the Center point instead of all the points in the circles....
    Also, I recall this working on previous versions but now it's not working in 2010 MR3????.....Can I not construct a cone using 3 or more circles????




    Thanks!
    It is using the center of the circles and can't construct a cone from them. If you can probe circles why don't you probe it as a cone to start? The alternative is 3d lines, planes, intersect points, circle contructions, OH BOY!

    TK
    sigpicHave a homebrew

    Comment


    • #3
      In your construction, you mIght try something like:

      Cir1.hit[1..numhits].xyz,cir2.hit[1..numhits].xyz,cir3.hit[1..numhits].xyz

      HTH

      B&S CHAMELEON/PCDMIS CAD++ V2011

      There are no bugs, only "UNDOCUMENTED ENHANCEMENTS!"

      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by dph51 View Post
        In your construction, you mIght try something like:

        Cir1.hit[1..numhits].xyz,cir2.hit[1..numhits].xyz,cir3.hit[1..numhits].xyz

        HTH
        Probably a version thing but that doesn't work on this machine. Question, if it did work wouldn't there be a cosine error ?

        TK
        sigpicHave a homebrew

        Comment


        • #5
          try

          CONSTR/CONE,BF,CIRCLE1.HIT[1..4],CIRCLE2.HIT[1..4],CIRCLE3.HIT[1..4], or however many of hits is you last number in each bracket.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tking View Post
            Probably a version thing but that doesn't work on this machine. Question, if it did work wouldn't there be a cosine error ?

            TK
            Not at my cmm right now. V4.1
            Cosine error? Maybe , but when i have a chance I will try to see what will happen and report back.

            B&S CHAMELEON/PCDMIS CAD++ V2011

            There are no bugs, only "UNDOCUMENTED ENHANCEMENTS!"

            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by AuRules View Post
              try

              CONSTR/CONE,BF,CIRCLE1.HIT[1..4],CIRCLE2.HIT[1..4],CIRCLE3.HIT[1..4], or however many of hits is you last number in each bracket.
              If you use numhits it wii use the last number. If younhad 16 hits, [1..16] would be the same as [1..numhits]

              B&S CHAMELEON/PCDMIS CAD++ V2011

              There are no bugs, only "UNDOCUMENTED ENHANCEMENTS!"

              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Possibly, but never had any trouble of of this one. But I will try your to see.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by dph51 View Post
                  Not at my cmm right now. V4.1
                  Cosine error? Maybe , but when i have a chance I will try to see what will happen and report back.
                  Interested if it will work at all and then if BFRE kills the cosine error.

                  TK
                  sigpicHave a homebrew

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    So it looks like this cannot be done because of the Cosine error???....That actually makes sense I guess...I'm not sure why I thought you could do that.

                    Thanks for your responses!!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by c_bearden View Post
                      So it looks like this cannot be done because of the Cosine error???....That actually makes sense I guess...I'm not sure why I thought you could do that.

                      Thanks for your responses!!!
                      It's not because of the cosine error, it is because the software uses the center of the circles as the points it is trying to construct from.
                      You need to measure as a cone, measure each point as a vector point and construct, or use the method above of extracting the point data. (Assuming the vectors of the points that made the circles are correct. That's where the cosine error comes in.)
                      When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by John Kingston View Post
                        It's not because of the cosine error, it is because the software uses the center of the circles as the points it is trying to construct from.
                        You need to measure as a cone, measure each point as a vector point and construct, or use the method above of extracting the point data. (Assuming the vectors of the points that made the circles are correct. That's where the cosine error comes in.)

                        The op said 2 or 3 levels of 8 points. That is only 16 - 24 individual vector points. Whip out your. . . pocket calculator and get triggin'. If it were hundreds of points then it might be worth mucking about with trying to extract points from vectors. As it is, pick three "heights" on the cone, calc the dia, calc 8 hits on each dia, key it all in with proper vectors, construct your cone from the vector points, move on to the next feature.
                        sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Maybe I am missing something but would it work just as well to measure points (I usually use odd numbers) for the 3 levels and then hit done on the jog box? Then if it guessed wrong use edit to override the guess. It always works for me.

                          Like I said, I may not have all the info but... just saying
                          Actively looking to be a CMM guy again
                          Previously 4.3 MR2
                          XP OS

                          Is your problem a case of operator headspace?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Wes Cisco View Post

                            The op said 2 or 3 levels of 8 points. That is only 16 - 24 individual vector points. Whip out your. . . pocket calculator and get triggin'. If it were hundreds of points then it might be worth mucking about with trying to extract points from vectors. As it is, pick three "heights" on the cone, calc the dia, calc 8 hits on each dia, key it all in with proper vectors, construct your cone from the vector points, move on to the next feature.
                            Excuse me while I whip this out.....

                            Oh this isn't the movie quote thread?
                            Wes, I was commenting on all three options. Just wanted him to know the options.
                            I usually use vector points for this type of feature.

                            Originally posted by Don-ARI View Post
                            Maybe I am missing something but would it work just as well to measure points (I usually use odd numbers) for the 3 levels and then hit done on the jog box? Then if it guessed wrong use edit to override the guess. It always works for me.

                            Like I said, I may not have all the info but... just saying
                            Don,
                            Depending on the tolerances, it could work. But its very difficult to take all those hits normal to the surface.
                            If you have a DCC machine, it makes sense to take advantage of using the correct vectors for each hit.
                            Repeatability will be improved.
                            When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              From my earlier post
                              Cir1.hit[1..numhits].xyz,cir2.hit[1..numhits].xyz,cir3.hit[1..numhits].xyz

                              This doesn't work since you have to pull each hit individually. cir1.hit[1],cir1.hit[2]........
                              You would have to correct for cosine error as others have stated.

                              Best method would be take a series of vector points as John has said.

                              B&S CHAMELEON/PCDMIS CAD++ V2011

                              There are no bugs, only "UNDOCUMENTED ENHANCEMENTS!"

                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X