Exporting point clouds to CAD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exporting point clouds to CAD

I'm running 3.5 and I have taken a large number of features and points (point clouds) on a part that we are trying to reverse engineer. How do I export these points to a "CAD" file so it can be imported into Catia for further design work.

The easiest way is probably:

FILE/EXPORT/IGES

Setup the points you want to export and what coordinate system to use then process and run.
    (follow the help file directions if you hit a problem it is explained in there what to do)

Then import the iges file into catia.

Just remember you can only output measured data and not constructed features.
    Roses are red
    Violets are glorious
    Don't try to sneak up
    On Oscar Pistorius.

MIL-TFP-41C

3.7mr3, 2012mr1, 2013mr1

Comment

How can I export a point cloud into Solidworks? Everything I try just shows a triangle, instead of the points???
      Any help is much appreciated!
      Thanks
      sigpic I Got My Big Probe Out...

Comment

I occasionally export data to be used to 'build' a CAD model based on the data. Experience has shown me to use individual hits, rather than AutoFeatures, especially things like AutoPlanes which are represented by a triangle because the extent of the plane is not apparent from a small triangle. AutoCircles are cool, but don't show roundness of that circle --- they very clearly show location and (average) size of the feature, though.

Like others, I export the data as an IGES file, after making and selecting the desired alignment. I then IMPORT the IGES file into NX (rather than trying to 'OPEN' the IGES file)

Comment

Great info...this just what I'm looking for. Thanks. Do you know if the same methodology still applies in the latest versions of PCDMIS?...

Comment