Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software stability & Customer service questions

Questions for the user forum!

1. What do you consider a stable software package?

2. How many software crashes in 1 day would you expect?

3. How many bugs (software inconsistencies) would you accept?

4. Would you accept from your Banking software consistent inaccuracies and miss calculations?

5. How bad of customer service would you accept from the software / hardware manufacturer?

6. Would you accept the statement [if you don’t like what you bought go buy something else without a refund]?

Originally posted by FUBAR View Post

4. Would you accept from your Banking software consistent inaccuracies and miss calculations?

5. How bad of customer service would you accept from the software / hardware manufacturer?

6. Would you accept the statement [if you don’t like what you bought go buy something else without a refund]?

Been talking to "customer service/tech support" have we?
    Roses are red
    Violets are glorious
    Don't try to sneak up
    On Oscar Pistorius.

MIL-TFP-41C

3.7mr3, 2012mr1, 2013mr1

Comment

I would base it on the cost of the software & what the software is supposed to do.

We all like the ease of programming that PCDMIS give us, but when you are paying 25K plus another 3K maintaince fee a year, you tend to expect the software to be realitivly bug free. There should be ample testing done to eliminate those bugs at that cost before a release is made. Add on top of that that the software is used to measure precise dimensions & our jobs/reputations are hung on the numbers that the software gives us, you should expect little to no bugs & when they are found, they are fixed quickly.

Comment

Also realize that some of these questions, like how many crashes a day can you inspect, is entirely dependent on your programming skill and inspection knowledge. There are "right" ways to program things that will avoid many issues that users have and still provide the same result.

Comment

The real question is, How long before this thread gets deleted?
          sigpic

B&S Global 544
          Using 3.7mr3

Peace
          Greg

Nothin left ta dew but :) :) :) !

Comment

The moderator must feel like the umpire that ruined that pitcher's perfect game.

Comment

Something that works as expected.

I expect zero crashes.

None / depends on the nature of the inconsistency.

No.

Since we are dealing with Wilcox/Hexagon here, I'd say that level is pretty high.

No.
              PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o19 R1 SP6

Comment

I would consider Software that may crash once or less a year. My MS Vista does not crash and other programs that I run consistently run like email does not crash. See #2below

2. How many software crashes in one day would you expect?
                I was informed by a Hexagon associate that he considers 2 PC-DMIS crashes a DAY acceptable. The software is not stable and I should pick a [Release] that I can live with the problems and accept them.
                At times I have had 10 crashes a day!!

4. Would you accept [lets say from your personal financial software tracking your bank account] consistent inaccuracies and miss calculations?
                [B]I would not accept this at all!!

5. How bad of customer service would you accept from the software manufacturer?
                I think the US. government is easier and they hate the taxpayers. Bad on fixing problems and easy to blame the caller for all the problems.

6. Would you accept the statement [if you don’t what you bought go buy something else without a refund]? No I would not accept this.
                [B]NO

Comment

I quote:

PC-DMIS® is the world's leading software for Coordinate Measurement Machines (CMMs). With over 30,000 seats in place, PC-DMIS is recognized as the world’s most capable CMM metrology software. An investment of hundreds of man-years and millions of dollars results in a metrology software system that is at once powerful and yet easy to use. With it, our customers measure everything from simple prismatic parts through the most complex aerospace and automotive components.

Hundreds of man years!!!! Millions of dollars!!! Easy to use!!!

ROFLMAO !

B&S CHAMELEON/PCDMIS CAD++ V2011

There are no bugs, only "UNDOCUMENTED ENHANCEMENTS!"

sigpic

Comment

One that does not crash randomly (not programming related i.e. graphics problems and switching programs too quickly)

None. At this price point, this should be unacceptable.

Very few. With as much feedback and bug reports from knowledgeable people as they get, they should fix them quickly and completely.

No, would you? But I know this is the same thing in this case, time is money and we all spend alot of it at times with this SW.

Once again, at this price, CS should be top notch, but I have never had to deal with them. Have no problem getting someone here for calibration.

If that statement were made to me, I would. I would also make every person on the planet I could aware of it so they would do the same. All this of course after I sold it!
                    Eh?

Comment

Man...I couldn't have said it better myself!

Comment

Let's count the crashes and problems so far today. Up to two!

Comment

Let's count the crashes and problems so far today. Up to two!
                          None yet this week.
                          Saving the world, one bad part at a time.

Comment

Expect?

As in bought something to use & I already 'expect' it to go wrong?

Seems like some brainwashing going on here.

I do NOT 'expect' any errors.............just like my customers.

How many would I allow?

Now there is a subtle difference.........& the answer is........... 'one or two per year'.

(Cos I do make mistakes once in awhile)

Is that feasible? One or two per annum...........it was in a previous job with much better software.

Pc Dmis..........'world's leading software'...........30K seats sold..........yada........yada.....active/capable salesman more like.

Or back to the brainwashing element again..........lemmings queueing up to pay top dollars for software they 'EXPECT' to crash more than once each day.
                            Poleaxe

Beware the environment you live in for it will shape you
                            Be careful the friends you choose for you will become like them.

sigpic

Comment

No, I did not Expect to have these problems. I do not see in the advertisment where it tells anyone about the problems they are going to encounter.
                              The independent saleman and the actual Hexagon employee both told me it was the "Most Poerfull Mesauring Software with 30K plus units sold". Then the independent salesman had the AUDCITY to tell me that none of his customers he has sold to have problems with PC-DMIS. Then proceeded to tell me that he does not re-up the SMA in his measuring facility because of his issues with PC-DMIS. These guys think we are stupid!! What cool-aid are they drinking?

Comment