Animated Probe not contacting the CAD MODEL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animated Probe not contacting the CAD MODEL

I have written an offline program and I'm running it offline....the probe is offset by a large distance from the CAD MODEL and does not contact the CAD MODEL....the probe is oriented properly and all the tip changes are correct but it's just out in space instead of contacting the CAD MODEL.
    Not sure why this is happening....sometimes it'll show correct and sometimes it won't...I made sure my CAD MODEL units were in millimeters and my PCDMIS program is in millimeters....
    any ideas???

I'm running 2010mr2

Thanks!!!

While I do 99% of my programing online so I can't be certain, but I would guess that the reason is that the model hasn't been aligned properly.
    Did you do an iterate alignment at the very beginning of your program? If not, this is your problem.
    Post the code showing your alignment and let us take a look.

(it's not the units that are the problem, after v4.2 the demon doesn't acre about them anymore)
    Last edited by bob mappes; 11-08-2010, 11:27 AM.
    Which one gets ridden today? MPH vs MPG..tough choice, both are FUN
    sigpic

Starrett RGDC 4028-24 :alien:
    Demon vintages 3.7, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 2009

Comment

I don't use Iterative Alignments, I use CAD=PART....The CAD MODEL is aligned correctly, all the code is correct, the Vectors are correct, even the probe tips are correct, it just doesn't contact the part instead I have to zoom way out just to see what the probe animation is doing...

Comment

'scuse me dawg
        Which one gets ridden today? MPH vs MPG..tough choice, both are FUN
        sigpic

Starrett RGDC 4028-24 :alien:
        Demon vintages 3.7, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 2009

Comment

Sorry for the CAPITAL LETTERS, it's a bad habit....lol....I meant nothing by it...:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Doberman View Post
            I don't use Iterative Alignments, I use CAD=PART....The CAD MODEL is aligned correctly, all the code is correct, the Vectors are correct, even the probe tips are correct, it just doesn't contact the part instead I have to zoom way out just to see what the probe animation is doing...
            I don't run 2010, but this subject area should (SURELY) be the same -
            If you use CAD=PART and the CAD origin is "out in space", then likewise will be the part origin and the probe touches (offline). Depending on what your data needs to reflect (part origin, assembly origin), I would transform the model origin to where the drawing has it or at least to where you need it to start your program.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Doberman View Post
              I have written an offline program and I'm running it offline....the probe is offset by a large distance from the CAD MODEL and does not contact the CAD MODEL....the probe is oriented properly and all the tip changes are correct but it's just out in space instead of contacting the CAD MODEL.
              Not sure why this is happening....sometimes it'll show correct and sometimes it won't...I made sure my CAD MODEL units were in millimeters and my PCDMIS program is in millimeters....
              any ideas???

I'm running 2010mr2

Thanks!!!
              Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman
              Not true! I work 100% in car position, and I have no issue with the points being on the cad model and I use CAD=PART 100% of the time. I would guess this is another "enhancement" in 2010.
              Matt, I didn't explain well enough -
              If the features selected as origins are not the same as the CAD, and CAD=PART is selected, this moves whatever feature selected as the origin to the CAD origin, that is what I meant. It took me some trial & error to figure that out, since this wasn't really ever discussed in any of the classes, and many of the CAD files I get have the origin at someplace other than where it should be. I wind up transforming the model origins to match the drawing, and the issue disappears.

Dobe, how far away from the surface are you talkin' - 1, 10, 100mm? I also see this when more than one probe is used in the program, the offline run will only recognize the probe that is active at the cursor location. The program will run offline correctly, the probe angles will be right, but in offline the probe doesn't change and may be "out in space" or otherwise won't look right when the code using the other probes is running. In my offline programming I don't use the simulated probe changer so that may cause what I see.
              sigpic

Comment

make sure surface mode is on

Comment

Figured out the Problem....Turns out, all I had to do was to rebuild by probe in the probe dialog box....somehow, it couldn't see what I was using....once I rebuilt it, Presto!!!!....

Thanks!!

Comment