CMM Vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CMM Vibration

Good morning everyone. A non-PCDMIS question for a change. Our company is moving one of our CMM's onto the shop floor and building a nice little room around it for an inprocess inspection lab. My boss has questions as she's redoing our budget for this project. What type (make, model, manufacturer, etc.) of iso vibration padding should we employ about the feet to keep the vibration down and what does that usually run cost wise? Now I'm not sure on how they (Our loving company maintence team) are going to do this whether they do the whole floor (which I doubt becuase it costs more then 3 dollars or just individual pads for the CMM supports on a concrete base. The machine is a large Sheffield. Any input would be an asset. Thanx.
    Physics dictates to man why his world acts the way it does....Chemistry tells him why it smells the way it does.

I have a Barry system. Not sure about the $, it's been here longer than me. It's a vibration isolation system as well as a leveling system, uses 6 air cans under the machine.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
      I have a Barry system. Not sure about the $, it's been here longer than me. It's a vibration isolation system as well as a leveling system, uses 6 air cans under the machine.
      If it's been there longer than you it must have beem used on the Mayflower bringing the Pilgrims over

Raven...MAKE SURE YOUT MAINTENANCE MONKEYS REATTACH THE TRANSPORTATION BRACKETS BEFORE MOVING THE CMM

Our CMM is fairly close to he press department. The MMs here busted up the floor, before I got here so I don't know how deep, and poured, or tried to pour, an isolation pad for the machine to sit on. I still get slight vibrations if our bigg press is really hammering something heavy.
      Perry
      B&S Mistral
      3.207 Beta on XP

Older'n dirt

Comment

That's great that they're doing something for you. There are quite a few companies out there offering pads. If you want to do it right, you should do a study on the actual frequency of the vibrations you are getting on a day-to-day basis, so you can target the pad type to that specific range.

My CMM has a large press not 20 feet away. When doing a large scan (500+ points) with my touch trigger probe while they're running a job, the probe inevitably takes a point at the same time they blank a part, and the machine gets confused and drives the probe into whatever I'm inspecting. I come back and my TP-200 module is lying on the table with a broken tip. WTF!

Comment

Chally, thats just plain funny not!

Our B&S global base sits in the QA lab but on the same floor as our big stamping presses although the big presses are almost 100 yards away. The cmm base sits on it metal feet. The granite is on 3 riser pins each on 1/2" plastic delrin pads on top of 1/2" rubber isolation pads. I can barely feel the hits from the big machine when we're running really thick material through it. AND, there are train tracks <50' from the cmm.

One day, as a train was going past, my boss walked over and asked why I stopped the layout on the cmm before the program was done. I went Jurassic Park on him... I said "because of this" as I put my coffee on the cmm. He looked puzzled. I told him to put his hand on the cmm and look at the waves in the coffee. He asked if this would affect the dimensions. I just smiled and said "do you want to take that chance?" Then I secured a gauge block on the stage, put the probe almost touching it and we watched it shake enough to hit the gauge block.
          Last edited by Slug Dawson; 10-22-2010, 03:46 PM.
          To some the glass is half full
          To some it is half empty
          To me it is poorly designed by the Eng & Prod wants me to find a way to measure it in spec!

Comment

As with all CMM's when you move them into a shop enviroment you deal with the two main issues or problems. Vibration and contamination. These machines that were originally designed for a lab environment don't take well to vaporous coolant flying about and landing on the scales (thus the addition of the climate controlled room) and the wonderful occurances to a TP200 when a large press or giant mill cutting armor plate rattles the kohoonies right off your lower extremities. I'll try and contact Barry systems and see what they suggest and cost. Also, Perry, a year ago, they (the MM's) tried moving one of our CMM's in one of our other buildings without using the transport brackets and ended up calling in B&S to realign the bridge after it kiltered during the transport. DUMB!
            Physics dictates to man why his world acts the way it does....Chemistry tells him why it smells the way it does.

Comment

cut a 1/4" gap all the way thru the concrete all the way around the CMM...problem solved.

Comment

Air or linear bearings? If air I would expect quick trouble if the ambient air contains oil, smoke, dust, ect...

Comment

Originally posted by JM222 View Post
                  cut a 1/4" gap all the way thru the concrete all the way around the CMM...problem solved.
                  ...and under it too?
                  sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMannes View Post
                    ...and under it too?
                    ...probably wouldn't want to try that one...but the gap in addition to regular isolation pads works pretty good around here

Comment

100% correct solution is an isolated concrete pad. Meaning gap all around the slab, isolation pads under the slab, and your CMM on top of the slab.

Comment

Do they still make those isolation pads out of the entrails of Design Engineers who don't understand GD&T?
                        To some the glass is half full
                        To some it is half empty
                        To me it is poorly designed by the Eng & Prod wants me to find a way to measure it in spec!

Comment

Originally posted by Slug Dawson View Post
                          Do they still make those isolation pads out of the entrails of Design Engineers who don't understand GD&T?
                          OUCH...

Born of experience huh?
                          Actively looking to be a CMM guy again
                          Previously 4.3 MR2
                          XP OS

Is your problem a case of operator headspace?

Comment

Originally posted by Slug Dawson View Post
                            If they did there would be a world shortage of incompetant design enginerds!!

(Which is not such a bad thing i think)
                            Roses are red
                            Violets are glorious
                            Don't try to sneak up
                            On Oscar Pistorius.

MIL-TFP-41C

3.7mr3, 2012mr1, 2013mr1

Comment

my company bought a new cmm and put it on the shop floor next to cnc machines and swiss machines. they put a room around it but did nothing for vibrations. also noticed that the whole cmm machine moves and shakes and also does this while taking hits on the parts. told this was normal.

Comment

• Kp61dude!
                                Kp61dude! commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Mine is next to the same plus a large robot on a rail... when that robot moves up and down that rail the CMM definetely picks up some noise! Using the 3 pads got rid of it for me. (nothing wrong with bringing a 10yr old thread back to life!).