Profile Tolerance With MMC Modifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profile Tolerance With MMC Modifier

I have a customer with a tight 0.2MM profile tolerance on a surface. The GD&T callout is 0.2 | A | B(M) | C (M) | where "A" is a plane and "B" & "C" are holes. He asking if I can measure it while incorporating the "bonus" tolerance of the MMC modifier as they need all the help they can get. I think this can only be accomplished with a physical MMC gage built but I need confirmation. I'm running V3.5. Thanks

Yeah, you're screwed with V3.5, it has been reported that the newer versions that use FCF as part of the dimension can do this sort of thing (datum shifting), but I don't know from personal experience. No way to do it in that version at all.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
      Yeah, you're screwed with V3.5, it has been reported that the newer versions that use FCF as part of the dimension can do this sort of thing (datum shifting), but I don't know from personal experience. No way to do it in that version at all.
      Does anyone know what version would allow this measurement to be calculated correctly on the CMM?

Comment

Did a quick check in
        The ultimate pocket guide supplement to y14.5M-1994 standard by Alex Krulikowski

No Bonus permissible for profile of a surface.

B&S CHAMELEON/PCDMIS CAD++ V2011

There are no bugs, only "UNDOCUMENTED ENHANCEMENTS!"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dph51 View Post
          Did a quick check in
          The ultimate pocket guide supplement to y14.5M-1994 standard by Alex Krulikowski

No Bonus permissible for profile of a surface.
          Correct, I was more so referring to the "datum shifting" of MMC that Matt posted about and wondering what version of PCDmis has this capability. Bonus tolerance was the wrong word as bonus can only be applied to a feature of size, sorry about that.

Comment

From a different thread:

Originally posted by John Riggins View Post
            MMC can apply to the datums in a profile FCF.
            It cannot be applied to the surface, but it can be applied to the datums (and datum shift used to affect the acceptability of the results).
            See this:

http://www.tec-ease.com/gdt-tips-view.php?q=135

In V3.7 PCD cannot apply any datum shift (to surface profile).
            You would need to calculate this manually and insert a comment or something (a pile of complex code) to explain how the shift can be applied to the profile dimension.
            I don't know about later versions.
            Saving the world, one bad part at a time.

Comment

Should be possible with any v4.1+ version that uses the XactMeasure FCF stuff.

If it is done correctly is another question.
              PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o19 R1 SP11

Comment

I would only trust the latest version for datum shifting based on recent conversations with the GD&T expert from Hexagon. Using the Xact measure, you should get the correct numbers. Just make sure to verify with the analysis.
                sigpic GDTPS - 0584

Comment

In my experience, the Datum shifting works the best on Version 2009 MR1+. I just did some testing with this situation not long ago and it does do it and does it correctly it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by Drasten View Post
                    In my experience, the Datum shifting works the best on Version 2009 MR1+. I just did some testing with this situation not long ago and it does do it and does it correctly it seems.
                    Thank you, I'll pass this information onto my customer while I hang out in V3.5 land...

Comment

The problem though with datum shifting like this is the numbers that the report generates are barely usable beyond pass/fail IMHO. For things like capability studies they would be absolutely useless.
                      Saving the world, one bad part at a time.

Comment