X-Axis Custom Chip Rate Error

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • X-Axis Custom Chip Rate Error

    I keep getting watchdog fault - x-axis custom chip rate error.

    I know that this is most likely caused by a dirty x-axis scale. I am going to clean the scale and it should go away as it has done in the past.

    My question is this... When the error occurs motor power is shut off. The only way I have found to clear the error is a complete shut down and re-start. Is there a way to clear the error and get the machine going again without a shutdown? I can't seem to do anything after the error. I would at least like to be able to manually move the head away from any obstructions before the re-start.

    It's Friday and the machine knows it! It always - always acts up on Fridays!

  • #2
    Not that i'm aware of. Hopefully it is a dirty scale, but it could be an encoder.
    sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

    Comment


    • #3
      Nope, only option is shut-down and re-start the controller (and re-home the machine as well).
      sigpic
      Originally posted by AndersI
      I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman
        Nope, only option is shut-down and re-start the controller (and re-home the machine as well).
        If it re-homes it's probably not an encoder
        sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

        Comment


        • #5
          Some errors require a reboot of controls. Errors where scales lose their position or count require a reboot. There are some errors that a machine start is all that is required for recovery. This is not one of them.

          Craig
          <internet bumper sticker goes here>

          Comment


          • #6
            That, unfortunately, is what I was afraid of.

            Anyone else have trouble only on fridays?

            This friday - x-axis custom chip rate error.
            Last friday - power switch for renishaw controller
            Friday before that - can't remember that far back but...

            Comment


            • #7
              I avoid turning the machine on most days but especially Fridays.
              Usually screws up 5 minutes from quiting time when everyone wants everything done before the weekend.
              "A good design is the one that allows engineers the ability to change gracefully what they forgot to do right the first time!!!"

              Comment


              • #8
                Grrrh! So, I took the shroud off the back of the bridge to clean the x-axis scale. Now it squeeks like a mouse again. Also, I noticed there is an air line which runs to the air bearing on the bottom of the x-axis that has oil in it. It does not appear that there is any air moving through as the oil fills the tube enough to block air flow and there are no bubbles or movement.

                If this bearing doesn't get air why is it there?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Goodluck
                  That, unfortunately, is what I was afraid of.

                  Anyone else have trouble only on fridays?

                  This friday - x-axis custom chip rate error.
                  Last friday - power switch for renishaw controller
                  Friday before that - can't remember that far back but...
                  My advice is start drinking heavely and don't come to work on Friday. My .02
                  sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Goodluck
                    That, unfortunately, is what I was afraid of.

                    Anyone else have trouble only on fridays?

                    This friday - x-axis custom chip rate error.
                    Last friday - power switch for renishaw controller
                    Friday before that - can't remember that far back but...
                    Last friday one of our customers called me complaining about something that is not even specified. It was 5 minutes before I was supposed to leave. They wanted us to out and sort parts, for something that was a no-problem problem. I have to get away from this high volume ignorant automotive mentality BS and get a job in a job shop or small place someday. Not that problems would go away they'd just be different but I'm sick of the hollier-than-though automotive attitude that a lot of places seem to adopting as their business practice. This is a customer we have been doing business with for over 20 years. It used to be a partnership type of relationship but now it is a bang your fist on the table and make threats relationship. There was nothing wrong with those parts, it was simply a design change that made them a little different. It is our patented design and we made them aware of the change but as soon as their guys on the floor got a hold of it they freaked out. I can't wait until we can tell that customer to pound salt, we don't need your attitude. I love it when we do that, a customer starts acting up and we triple the price then triple it again until they get the point and go buy from someone else. Most of them come back but without their fists clenched. Shame of it is this has been a great customer up until a couple of years ago. We are going to have to tell them to get bent or I'm going to have to tell this place to get bent. One or the other, it just isn't worth it to me. 2 more years and the mortgage is paid and then I am going to start exploring.
                    <internet bumper sticker goes here>

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Goodluck
                      Grrrh! So, I took the shroud off the back of the bridge to clean the x-axis scale. Now it squeeks like a mouse again.
                      You might have to take the encoder off and clean it if you have not already.
                      Originally posted by Goodluck
                      Also, I noticed there is an air line which runs to the air bearing on the bottom of the x-axis that has oil in it. It does not appear that there is any air moving through as the oil fills the tube enough to block air flow and there are no bubbles or movement.

                      If this bearing doesn't get air why is it there?
                      It should be getting air. You might be in trouble. Are you sure the tubbing is not just stained there so it looks full of oil? If it has oil in it you need to get it out.

                      Craig
                      <internet bumper sticker goes here>

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by craiger_ny
                        You might have to take the encoder off and clean it if you have not already.

                        It should be getting air. You might be in trouble. Are you sure the tubbing is not just stained there so it looks full of oil? If it has oil in it you need to get it out.

                        Craig
                        Yeah, It looks like the encoder comes off pretty easily.

                        It definitely is oil. If I lift the tube I can see it move and it looks like a very small amount of air starts going by. I guess I'll have try to pop it off and try to drain it. I assume I should power down and shut the air off while I do this.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Goodluck
                          I assume I should power down and shut the air off while I do this.
                          That'd be your best bet. Push the E-stop down at a minimum, especially when hadling an encoder if you bridge anything and short it you could fry some expensive stuff. Be careful with the air lines too. If they are old it'll be brittle stay away from the denatured alcohol it will eat the lines over time, go with a low water content isopropyl. Goodluck Goodluck.
                          <internet bumper sticker goes here>

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            X Axis Encoder error

                            Originally posted by Goodluck
                            Yeah, It looks like the encoder comes off pretty easily.

                            It definitely is oil. If I lift the tube I can see it move and it looks like a very small amount of air starts going by. I guess I'll have try to pop it off and try to drain it. I assume I should power down and shut the air off while I do this.

                            The encoder error is usually from lag, the machine is trying to move an axis and it is not getting there in the time expected or the way expected. Having a belt slipping, a drive bearing dirty(Pfx), or an an occluded air bearing surface/split air line, is usually the cause.
                            Not using and air dryer and bad filtration is a sure bet to kill your machine in about 1/5 of it lifespan. Let the president of the company here that, and he'll take care of his machine with the proper air conditioning equipment.
                            Your in for a long haul with your machine, replacing all the air lines and boiling out the air bearings. I hope management will support you and give you the time to do it right.


                            Gabriel
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Cumofo
                              The encoder error is usually from lag, the machine is trying to move an axis and it is not getting there in the time expected or the way expected.
                              This will trow a lag error. If you get a lag error that is it for sure. However, when you said you had what sounded like "encoder squeel" you definately need to look at the encoder face for crud.
                              <internet bumper sticker goes here>

                              Comment

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X