Models with Design Side only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Models with Design Side only

Anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with models that only show design side?
    Have gotten a bunch of them lately, if the material is only 1 to 2 mil thick how do you know your on the right side if your error is about the same?
    We do a lot of prototyping so errors of this size are normal.
    At this point it's just guess work using the adjust theo or adjust actual thickness
    "A good design is the one that allows engineers the ability to change gracefully what they forgot to do right the first time!!!"

First thing the datums are on the side of cad that is shown. We are talking sheet metal, the other thing to remember is the bowl theory, Which will means they dont always build a die to side of metal, but they should, but always can't. So you need to get your answer from above, and if they say they can't tell you are using the the bowl theory and if wrong its there problem.
    sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

That's the whole problem I get one answer from our engineer's and the opposite from the customers and a combination of both from the customer's QE. Same old story, all they want is a report that shows everyhing is good. (really that's all I want too so they can go away) but ethics or some other little voice in my head needs to know that it's right.
      There's my vent for the day thanks for listening
      "A good design is the one that allows engineers the ability to change gracefully what they forgot to do right the first time!!!"

Comment

Items you probably looked at:

Some customers add a thickness line. In our case, one customer multiplies it x100 and makes the line that length. We view CAD details & select it to see length. Modifications of this are just one area where lines are drawn as a section of the CAD.

The print may show a section view with thickness drawn in.

Another test to consider:

Check surfaces that are a set distance from the locator. The deviations may help some.

$.02
        http://baggy3.info/signani3.gif
        Excercise your mind,..... muscle works better than fat!!

Comment

Drawings would be nice but for this stuff I get a model and a list of xyz coordinates that's it. 4 hours to the weekend, can't come fast enough

Comment

I always add the other side to the cad... If I can do it your engineers surely can
            sigpic

Comment