X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .625" external hex as a Datum

How would you construct this?

I do have the CAD.

So far, I tried six planes (one on each surface of the hex) and then constructed a "Constructed Set Feature" from all six. It ended up putting a single point on the Graphical Display. Not sure if this is going to work. Any ideas?
    ** "Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere!"~ Ulysses Everett McGill **

Originally posted by d.evans
    How would you construct this?

I do have the CAD.

So far, I tried six planes (one on each surface of the hex) and then constructed a "Constructed Set Feature" from all six. It ended up putting a single point on the Graphical Display. Not sure if this is going to work. Any ideas?
    Don't know if this will work but this would be my first try.

Measure 12 lines 2 on each side of the hex at two different heights. Construct points where the lines intersect for each of the heights. Use these points to construct a cylinder.

Just a guess and maybe someone else has a better way or a reason why that way would be bad.

Comment

Here is one way....

Line, Line, Line, Line, Line, Line
      Intersect, Intersect, Intersect, Intersect, Intersect, Intersect
      Between each point pair construct a....
      Midpoint, Midpoint, Midpoint, Midpoint, Midpoint, Midpoint
      Construct circle from all of the midpoints.
      Set datum on center of circle.
      Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

these ideas look good. Thanks.
        ** "Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere!"~ Ulysses Everett McGill **

Comment

Measure and re-measure a 6-hit external circle. As long as the HEX is correct, a 6-hit circle, re-measured, should hit at the same portion of the flat each time. It will depend on the 'slop' in your machine, if it is sloppy, then this wouldn't work very well, then you would have to go with the 6 lines, or even 3 lines, one on every-other flat, then construct 3 intersect, etc..
          sigpic
          Originally posted by AndersI
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Thats how I do it, I also use prehits and I will adjust my angle to try to get into the center of the flats.
            sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment