Perpendicular distance between 2 planes.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Perpendicular distance between 2 planes.

    I am sure that this is easy, but I keep on having problems with the perpendicular distance between 2 planes. I seem to be unable to get the correct number. I can calculate from the actuals what it is supposed to be, but I get numbers that are far off. I think it keeps reporting from the center point of the planes.

    How can I change the dimension distance to give me the exact perpendicular distance between the 2 planes!


    Thanks for your help.


    Jan.
    ***************************
    PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
    Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Jan d.
    I am sure that this is easy, but I keep on having problems with the perpendicular distance between 2 planes. I seem to be unable to get the correct number. I can calculate from the actuals what it is supposed to be, but I get numbers that are far off. I think it keeps reporting from the center point of the planes.

    How can I change the dimension distance to give me the exact perpendicular distance between the 2 planes!


    Thanks for your help.


    Jan.
    I assume you need it perpendicular to one plane. It is highly unlikely that the two planes are perfectly parallel. I would just do an alignment and level your "datum" plane. Then make sure you are in the correct workplane and do a 2d distance from one plane to the other parallel to the appropriate axis.

    Comment


    • #3
      Be sure you are in the correct 2D working plane or report 3D distance

      Comment


      • #4
        No 3d will not work. That is "how the crow flys'. That will not give you the 2d distance between the planes.
        sigpic

        James Mannes

        Comment


        • #5
          You could also do a 2d distance by choosing one plane then the "datum" plane and then check the box "to feature" and check "perpendicular to". I like to do the alignment because then I KNOW that it is perp. to the correct plane.

          Comment


          • #6
            Doing a plane to plane distance is not good. depending on where you take your hits your centriod will change, because of best fit. your best bet is to do a 3D distance using a plane and points, if it is a machined surface and you cant get away with out doing that make your points mirror each other in location for the planes and construct a point and then do a 3d distance from the point to the plane.
            sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

            Comment


            • #7
              3D?
              Can you enlighten me Master Po?
              sigpic

              James Mannes

              Comment


              • #8
                The 3-D distance of a point to a plane will give you the absolutly shortest distance of the point to the plane, and workplane does NOT have any effect on it. It is quite handy at times.
                sigpic
                Originally posted by AndersI
                I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman
                  The 3-D distance of a point to a plane will give you the absolutly shortest distance of the point to the plane, and workplane does NOT have any effect on it. It is quite handy at times.
                  Thank you fellow Demi-Guru. I could not have stated any better.http://www.preschoolprintables.com/a...sofftoyou2.gif
                  sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    2D distance was not asked for so I answered for both 2D & 3D
                    3D distance between planes is based off the vectors of the planes not the centroid points

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by CMMPGMR
                      2D distance was not asked for so I answered for both 2D & 3D
                      3D distance between planes is based off the vectors of the planes not the centroid points
                      How do you get a distance from two directions?
                      sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Paul Sarrach
                        Thank you fellow Demi-Guru. I could not have stated any better.http://www.preschoolprintables.com/a...sofftoyou2.gif

                        I had my smiley face taken away
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          which 2 directions are you referring to?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by CMMPGMR
                            which 2 directions are you referring to?
                            You stated "3D distance between planes is based off the vectors of the planes not the centroid points"

                            Vectors are directions.
                            sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              the 3D distance would be parallel or in the direction of the vectors wouldn't it?

                              Comment

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X