Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Whole Lot Of Work To Do

Hi Folks,

This is my first post to your board. I've been reviewing the archives trying to get a feel for what I'm getting into. Heres my story.

I started cmm work in '97 working with metrologic on an old ferranti. In '01 my company purchased a new cmm from Starrett, running Apogee 2.4. I accepted this challenge and have excelled at it. Every part, every fixture, every layout, needed nominal/vector definitions created. Every path that was saved for programs needed to be taught. It took years to accomplish these tasks.

4 weeks ago our computer fried. Fans became so dirty they slowly stopped working and it overheated. Long story short, we fixed everything but the dongle did/does not work. You all know who has been handling Starretts work I assume. They want an astronomical rate to fix or replace. Can't hack the dongle cause it can't be seen. And to top it off, all my work is in Apogee format files.

My company decides to aquire pcdmis. (from the same people that tried to take them to the cleaners on a dongle)

So here it is, what am I getting into folks? Recreating definitions, vectors, dimensions everything all over again? Anyone familiar with Apogee that converted to pcdmis? Can I pull data from apogee formats with pcdmis? Are my cad files going to be my best buddy in pcdmis like they were in apogee? Are they just going to be a picture to slow my software down?

I have a billion and 1 questions but will wait untill the classes are over to bother you all with more.
    Starrett Vanguard
    PCDMIS 4.1
    XP Pro SP3

Unless the software has the ability to send out DMIS (PC-DMIS) code, you are out of luck. You will have to start at the beginning, which is not an enviable task. I am not sure of what "creating definitions, and vectors" means as this is obviously terminology from the old software. If you mean creating alignments to the datum structure, yes that will have to be done. Creating vectors, I'm not clear on what that might entail. PC-DMIS will give the programmer all vector information necessary(especially when utilizing CAD data).

One thought on your situation. If you have just purchased this software, you more than likely received PC-DMIS 4.0. Call and ask them to give you a disk with 4.1 as 4.0 had some issues that have been resolved in 4.1. Other than that, go to class, bring questions, and bring one of your parts to use as an example. The people on this forum are really cool, and will help you in any way that they can.

Welcome aboard the crazy train!
    sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Good Morning and Welcome Ragin,
      You have but begun to rage! You have a large learning curve in front of you. The good news is that once you get over the top and become proficient, I think you will find you can do what you need to faster and better with pc-dmis than with what you were using. I have no experience with Apogee, but almost everyone I have ever heard from that has used more than one platform say that pc-dmis is the best out there. Which is not to say it does not have problem areas that need improvement, but there will be plenty of time to get to that! You will find this forum is your best friend for quick, almost always spot on, solutions/answers to your problems/questions. Good Luck.

P.S. When you want to run out of the building while pulling your hair out by the roots and screamming bloody ******, visit the off-topic portion of the board to vent and laugh.
      sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

-($.02)-

I never got anything close to a positive response when we were looking at conversions with Apogee about 2 years ago. My suggestion would be a test case if possible, to export from Apogee in all formats possible. Then play with it till you find something close. However, by what you are saying, you can't get into Apogee anyhow (dongle), so the slow process of working your programming in PC-Dmis will train you just as Apogee did. Then you will join the ranks of some of the gurus on this board that have played with such things.

Welcome to PC-Dmis
        http://baggy3.info/signani3.gif
        Excercise your mind,..... muscle works better than fat!!

Comment

If you can't run Apogee, since your dongle is fried, you are so far beyond screwed that the light from screwed won't reach you for at least 20 years.

As far as I can tell, there is nothing in Pcdmis that will allow you to import an Apogee file. So, unless you can export something from Apogee that Pcdmis CAN read, you will have to start from scratch for each and every program. Sorry.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by AndersI
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I feel your pain......

My situation is similar but different.
            long story short...

Had been using Starrett with Apogee 1.0 since '98.
            New customer last year (aerospace stuff) had parts that I could not inspect with Apogee.
            Upgraded contoller and to PCDMIS last November.
            Been extemeley happy ever since.

Yes it is a real pain not having my old programs for existing parts.
            I find it is actually quicker to re-program those old parts using PCDMIS.
            Plus I know that alot of my early programs needed re-vamping anyways...

welcome to the forum where you will learn as much as you want or can handle
            Which one gets ridden today? MPH vs MPG..tough choice, both are FUN
            sigpic

Starrett RGDC 4028-24 :alien:
            Demon vintages 3.7, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 2009

Comment

No advise......just welcome
              sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

Originally posted by bw_bob
                No advise......just welcome
                Ditto
                v2013 MR1, v2015.1
                B&S Global 544, 555
                Mitutoyo A504 w/PC-DMIS

sigpic
                Since 1994

Never force anything. Get a bigger hammer.
                (Advice from my dad.)

Comment

Dongle vision

"f you can't run Apogee, since your dongle is fried, you are so far beyond screwed that the light from screwed won't reach you for at least 20 years."

Well it appears the classes are set up for the wk of the 28th. Untill then I intend to brush up on Basic after a good 7 yrs of not using it. I will also be pouring over the 4.0 manual I downloaded from Wilcox. (1500 pages LOL!)

Thanks for welcoming me folks.

To you Matt, that line is clasic. I'm posting that on one of the boards in our lab.

Anyone have any thoughts on what else to brush up on to prepare?
                  Starrett Vanguard
                  PCDMIS 4.1
                  XP Pro SP3

Comment

Welcome Ragin to the Forum. My advice to ya is prepare to pull your hair out some days. I love using PCDMis but somedays it can get the best of you! Again, welcome!
                    sigpic

Comment

Ragin1:
                      I can't take credit for that line. I got that from TV, but it IS a very good line. I think I got it from the Rosanne show.
                      sigpic
                      Originally posted by AndersI
                      I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Hi All,

Does anyone out there have the DMIS export funtion for Apogee Metrolog XG V3.002? The export funtion was an option that wasn't purchased. We are now switching to PC-DMIS and I was going to try to bring some of the old programs forward.

Thanks

Dennis

Comment

Welcome Ragin,

Don't be afraid to ask any questions on this forum. Everyone here is very knowledgable and very willing to help. Besides having our avatars removed, this forum is a great source PCDMIS help and laughter
                          I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
                          PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
                          PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Welcome Ragin... I have been programming PC-DMIS for a couple of year now. I took the Basic course but have picked up a tremendous amount of information from this board. You will learn quickly who are the experts here.

Originally posted by Wes Cisco
                            When you want to run out of the building while pulling your hair out by the roots and screamming bloody ******, visit the off-topic portion of the board to vent and laugh.
                            By all means use the therapy over on the Off-Topic side.
                            Perry
                            B&S Mistral
                            3.207 Beta on XP

Older'n dirt

Comment

Hello and Welcome to the PC DMIS world.
                              We are here to help in any possible way and you will also be a great addition with your layout experience. As for my 2 cents, you will have to rewrite every program. Ovetime, overtime and more overtime. This will not only be a fresh start with a great software, but will aid you in getting the experience and hands on time needed to become proficient. Good luck and enjoy. Be sure to visit the off topic when you need to vent, laugh or just take a moment to clear your mind.

VP A.Gore
                              sigpicA.Gore

Comment