Position Won't Calculate Correctly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Position Won't Calculate Correctly

In the following code, why will the position not report the Yaxis dimension correctly? I checked this also as location & distance; those values match.

The alignment was set before the feature was measured & has not changed through the end of the program.

Code:
    DIM 20= TRUE POSITION OF CIRCLE CIR_20  UNITS=MM ,$
    GRAPH=OFF  TEXT=OFF  MULT=10.00  OUTPUT=BOTH  FIT TO DATUMS=OFF  DEV PERPEN CENTERLINE=OFF  DISPLAY=DIAMETER
    AX    NOMINAL       +TOL       -TOL      BONUS       MEAS           DEV     OUTTOL
    X     -13.000                                     -12.766         0.234           
    Y      -3.256                                     -13.462       -10.206           
    DF      5.000      0.200      0.200                 5.044         0.044      0.000 ----#---
    D1                                                        PLANE PLN_ZPLUS AT RFS           
    D2     12.000      0.200      0.200                12.103 SLOT SLT_DTM_B AT RFS           
    D3     12.000      0.200      0.200                12.156 SLOT SLT_DTM_C AT RFS           
    TP        RFS      0.500                 0.000                   20.417     19.917 ------->
    END OF DIMENSION 20
    DIM LOC6= LOCATION OF CIRCLE CIR_20  UNITS=MM ,$
    GRAPH=OFF  TEXT=OFF  MULT=10.00  OUTPUT=BOTH
    AX    NOMINAL       +TOL       -TOL       MEAS        DEV     OUTTOL
    X     -13.000      0.250      0.250    -13.515     -0.515      0.265 <-------
    Y      -3.256      0.250      0.250     -2.924      0.332      0.082 ------->
    D       5.000      0.200      0.200      5.044      0.044      0.000 ----#---
    END OF DIMENSION LOC6
    DIM DIST1= 2D DISTANCE FROM POINT PNT_DWG_ORG TO CIRCLE CIR_20 PAR TO   XAXIS,NO_RADIUS  UNITS=MM,$
    M      13.000      0.250      0.250     13.515      0.515      0.265 ------->
    DIM DIST2= 2D DISTANCE FROM CIRCLE CIR_20 TO POINT PNT_DWG_ORG PAR TO   YAXIS,NO_RADIUS  UNITS=MM,$
    M       3.256      0.250      0.250      2.924     -0.332     -0.082 <-------
    To some the glass is half full
    To some it is half empty
    To me it is poorly designed by the Eng & Prod wants me to find a way to measure it in spec!

something is screwy going on. Hard to tell without more info. Alignment, Print

Is it the same program with the nominals changing problem?

Possible b/c you have specified the datums in the TP: slot dat B, slot datum C?? Try do a TP, without specifiyng the datums
    Last edited by JoBLOCK; 02-15-2010, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Choke, choke, cough, gaaaaaaasssp..... I almost have to agree with Mikey/JoBlock on the possible culprit. Never select "Use Datums" if you're usuing RFS or MMC if you already aligned to the WCS. I only use datums when I have to have the MMC/LMC bonus from the datum features.
      Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
      Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

Comment

Same program. I tried changing the existing position dimension and got the same Yaxis results. I added a new position dimension to the end of the program & got acceptable results. Then I replaced the bad dimension with the acceptable one.

I had to go to the help menu for a "training reminder" of how PCd wants us to use datums for calculating position. As usual, it is not intuitive; just the way PCd does things.

Option #1: Use Datums: OFF
        Application: Use this method when there are no modifier(s) (MMC or LMC) on the datum(s) and when checking the True Position of one or multiple features (single feature or a pattern) from a Datum Reference Frame (DRF). Bonus tolerance is only available on the feature(s).

Results: The True Position of the selected feature(s) is evaluated in the active alignment. Therefore, the active alignment must be set up to reflect the specified DRF before creating the True Position dimension(s).

I'm still not sure why it wouldn't calculate correctly when I changed it to not use datums; it worked just fine when I created a new position dimension.
        To some the glass is half full
        To some it is half empty
        To me it is poorly designed by the Eng & Prod wants me to find a way to measure it in spec!

Comment

I try to avoid using datums inside the TP dim. I make my alignment it fits the datums, then I just do a TP dim with DATUMS:OFF and thats it.

The new Tp that you created, did you included datums in it like the other dim?
          Last edited by JoBLOCK; 02-15-2010, 12:44 PM.

Comment

I'm still not sure why it wouldn't calculate correctly when I changed it to not use datums

If you changed the value from ON to OFF on the edit window , it will not refresh the dimension.

Delete the existing TP Dim, ask again (go to Advanced - deselect Use Datums check box) create the dim. again...
            HTH

West
            I'm happy!
            Global Performance 153314
            PH10MQ+SP25M+FCR25
            PC-DMIS CAD++ V_2009_MR1
            sigpicAre these lines parallel?

Comment

Here's my work around for FORCING it to recalculate and update a dimension. Change the CIR_20 to CIR_19 (any valid feature) right there in the dimension and then change it right back to CIR_20. It'll update for you then.

Bill

Comment