replacing inline filter for CMM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing inline filter for CMM

I have a Global Image 9-12-8 and I am getting my machine calibrated in a few weeks. BS wants $135 to change the inline filters. Does anyone know where or have contacts to get the cartridges for these filters. I have 2 filters where air line comes into the machine. I also added an air/oil separator filter before these to filters. Do you guys have any other suggestions? I used to have an air dryer type filter on another type machine I ran, but they paid $750 for that. I don't know if management will go for that.
    TIA
    PCDmis 3.5mr2 CAD++

Originally posted by TRD_racing
    I have a Global Image 9-12-8 and I am getting my machine calibrated in a few weeks. BS wants $135 to change the inline filters. Does anyone know where or have contacts to get the cartridges for these filters. I have 2 filters where air line comes into the machine. I also added an air/oil separator filter before these to filters. Do you guys have any other suggestions? I used to have an air dryer type filter on another type machine I ran, but they paid $750 for that. I don't know if management will go for that.
    TIA
    My boss wanted the filters changed by B&S. He paid the $135 and I don't think they even did anything.

Can you see the filters? I'd look at them and see if you can see a brand name or model number or something. I'd be surprised if B&S didn't just use an off the shelf item. If you can find a manufacturer or model number do a google search of it.

Comment

I do not know of a better source or price for the filter. However I am posting because unless I misread you headed for disaster! It sounds like you are using air from the main shop supply and have a large filter before the CMM but not an air dryer. If this is correct, YOU NEED AN AIR DRYER. Your CMM needs Clean And DRY air. Moisture condences in tanks and lines. Moisture in you CMM's lines can ruin your air bearings. $750 may seem like a lot, but compared to the price of the machine or the cost of repair, it is not much. You would not make a $60,000 car "make do" with the cheapest used tires you find, risking a blowout everytime you get on the freeway. You would spend the $400-500 it takes, (if not more), to get a good set of tires on there. An air dryer for your CMM is really more essential than tires for the car, maybe an oil filter would be a better example. HTH
      sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

An air dryer is a MUST. Cheap for what it does. I have an air hose just outside the lab door that is tapped off the CMM air line. When something is hooked to that air line and it hasn't used for a couple weeks; man, you ought to see the **** that comes out.
        sigpic:eek: Bring out the comfy chair!:eek:

Comment

I don't remember ever having to pay that much for filters, though it has been a while. I thought it was included in the calibration price.

Maybe Wes could confirm that??

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Amason
            I don't remember ever having to pay that much for filters, though it has been a while. I thought it was included in the calibration price.

Maybe Wes could confirm that??
            I will ask on Monday if the filters are a seperate line item on the P.O. for the calibration. I know they replace them everytime we calibrate and we just pay on bill, but how much of that is for the filters I do not know.

Comment

Can you see the filters? I'd look at them and see if you can see a brand name or model number or something. I'd be surprised if B&S didn't just use an off the shelf item. If you can find a manufacturer or model number do a google search of it.
              I will do this on Monday. I didn't think of that. I know there is alot of knowledge here so this is where I went first.
              I do not know of a better source or price for the filter. However I am posting because unless I misread you headed for disaster! It sounds like you are using air from the main shop supply and have a large filter before the CMM but not an air dryer. If this is correct, YOU NEED AN AIR DRYER. Your CMM needs Clean And DRY air.
              Do you know any good places or brand names to use? I will do some searches for this later on today also. Thanks. I knew I had one on my other machine at my old job, but I am still trying my lab in order w/ all the equipment that I will need for next year. I do use the air from the main shop also, so this is why I asked. That will be taken care off. My only problem is I have no "buying" power; I MUST go through our parts guy. He is always looking for something cheaper or whatever HE thinks is best. Most of the time I get something similar to what I asked for useless it is specific to the CMM and he doesn't have a clue. I do have a PMA but the filters are not included into the PMA. I just found out that I had this a couple of weeks ago. It is funny, nobody but my boss has any idea what a CMM can do and he doesn't know that much about it but they bought a PMA w/out even asking me about it. LOL. Thanks guys.
              PCDmis 3.5mr2 CAD++

Comment

I do not know a great deal about them, but I think and air dryer is an air dryer, kind of like a compressor is a compressor, as long as it can handle the volume of air your CMM needs, it should be ok. In this part of the world there are a lot of Speedaire units and they seem to work fine. My ancient Speedaire died recently and they bought me a Hankison to replace it. Seems to be doing the job. You might contact your local B&S salesperson to see what specs for an airdryer B&S recommends for your machine. HTH

Comment

If I remember correctly, the filters are and off the shelf item. I replaced them on a Typhoon at the last shop. The maintanance dept got them for me, but they probably came from Grainger or another supply house.
                  sigpic Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, but rather a skid in broadside, totally worn, proclaiming WOW What a ride!

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Cisco
                    If this is correct, YOU NEED AN AIR DRYER. Your CMM needs Clean And DRY air. Moisture condences in tanks and lines. Moisture in you CMM's lines can ruin your air bearings.
                    AMEN! You need an air dryer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The filters that CMM vendors are the cheapest you can find in the catalogue! They are meant for clean air supplies and may catch the occasional spec of dirt.

If you are hooked up to shop air, you are risking your total investment!

Here's what I would do:

1) Add a LARGE pressure vessel to the line, just INSIDE your CMM room that runs at line pressure. This will act as a capacitor smoothing out your pressure waves. Example: McMaster Carr 4376K18 vessel 120 Gallons. Costs not even $700.
                    Why inside the CMM room? Shop air tends to be cold. It will help if you gave it time to warm up a little before it gets into your machine. Keeps the machine at a more constant temperature.
                    2) At the lowest port on the vessel, plumb in a ball valve. Open this valve up daily to blow out junk. You'll be surprised what comes out.
                    3) Go through an air dryer. I used to use a 10SCFM one from Norgren. Add real oil and particle filters to the input port. GET SCFM requirements from the vendor though! It is 100% related to how many/what kind of air bearings there are in your machine and how your counterbalance works.
                    4) Then go through the FR unit supplied by the vendor.

Hope this helps.

Jan.
                    PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
                    Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Cisco
                      I will ask on Monday if the filters are a seperate line item on the P.O. for the calibration. I know they replace them everytime we calibrate and we just pay on bill, but how much of that is for the filters I do not know.
                      Well, I just found out the guy who would be able to get me the information about where we get our filters and how much they are is in Vegas playing in the World Poker Championship. So far he is winning. But I keep a spare set on hand, and the box says Wilkerson which is an easy to find filter co. so I think they are just off the shelf as mentioned earlier. HTH

Comment

Thanks everyone,
                        Our networks has been down and I couldn't get online all day yesterday. I am working on that air drying and some filters. You guys and gals have been very helpfull.
                        PCDmis 3.5mr2 CAD++

Comment

I also have a global image. I had mine changed and they cost like 12 dollars. So I wouldn't pay the 135 to have them changed cause it is very easy to do. I just don't know where my guy got them from.

Comment

I also have a global image. I had mine changed and they cost like 12 dollars. So I wouldn't pay the 135 to have them changed cause it is very easy to do. I just don't know where my guy got them from.
                            I did some checking online today. I found a place in Michigan that has my filters. I have Watts Filters. So I am planning on calling tomorrow. I will post what I find. This is the only site I checked also, so I will probably check some others too. Thanks.
                            PCDmis 3.5mr2 CAD++

Comment

FYI, I have done some research on the filters for my Global Image machine. I have a contact / web site for Watts, Parker, Wilkerson filters. They have distributors all over the country. My filters costs total for both were less then $40. They look easy enough to change. I am in the process of researching air dyers, does anyone know how I can find out the CFM needed for my machine off hand? Just asking. THanks
                              PCDmis 3.5mr2 CAD++

Comment