Why no error message

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why no error message

Hello. I've been scouring this program to find any issues and came across this alignment. My question is why wouldn't an alignment like this with multiple rotations, using multiple features for the rotations, raise an error message?
    Code:
    A1         =ALIGNMENT/START,RECALL:aln_fixture,LIST=YES
                ALIGNMENT/LEVEL,ZPLUS,PLN_Z_PLUS
                ALIGNMENT/ROTATE_CIRCLE,XPLUS,TO,SLT_DTM_C,AND,SLT_DTM_B,ABOUT,ZPLUS
                ALIGNMENT/ROTATE,XPLUS,TO,LIN_XPLUS,ABOUT,ZPLUS
                ALIGNMENT/TRANS,XAXIS,SLT_DTM_C
                ALIGNMENT/TRANS,YAXIS,SLT_DTM_C
                ALIGNMENT/TRANS,ZAXIS,SLT_DTM_C
                ALIGNMENT/END
    To some the glass is half full
    To some it is half empty
    To me it is poorly designed by the Eng & Prod wants me to find a way to measure it in spec!

FYI: it rotated to the last rotation command in the code. A line from [-C-] to [-B-] is rotated 0.27° from LIN_XPLUS.
    To some it is half empty
    To me it is poorly designed by the Eng & Prod wants me to find a way to measure it in spec!

Comment

Originally posted by slug dawson View Post
      fyi: It rotated to the last rotation command in the code. A line from [-c-] to [-b-] is rotated 0.27° from lin_xplus.

0.27°?
      Poleaxe

Beware the environment you live in for it will shape you
      Be careful the friends you choose for you will become like them.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Slug Dawson View Post
        Hello. I've been scouring this program to find any issues and came across this alignment. My question is why wouldn't an alignment like this with multiple rotations, using multiple features for the rotations, raise an error message?
        Code:
        A1         =ALIGNMENT/START,RECALL:aln_fixture,LIST=YES
                    ALIGNMENT/LEVEL,ZPLUS,PLN_Z_PLUS
                    ALIGNMENT/ROTATE,XPLUS,TO,LIN_XPLUS,ABOUT,ZPLUS
                    ALIGNMENT/TRANS,XAXIS,SLT_DTM_C
                    ALIGNMENT/TRANS,YAXIS,SLT_DTM_C
                    ALIGNMENT/TRANS,ZAXIS,SLT_DTM_C
                    ALIGNMENT/END
        Because Pcdmis does NOT see that as an error. It will ALWAYS use the last rotation in an alignment.

Sort of like THIS is not an error, just stupidity:

ASSIGN/V1=1
        ASSIGN/V1=2
        ASSIGN/V1=3
        ASSIGN/V1=4

Perfectly "legal", but dumb.

As for the rotation issue and multiple rotations in an alignment, this is a not-illegal situation. Granted, the one you show IS stupid, BUT, you could have the LEVEL, ROTATE, and ORIGIN in the alignment, then THREE MORE ROTATIONS in the alignment, then the origin offsets. Yes, it wouldn't look like the example, but a perfectly correct alignment. Like this:

Code:
        ALIGN03    =ALIGNMENT/START,RECALL:ALIGN02, LIST= YES
                    ALIGNMENT/LEVEL,XMINUS,ADATUM
                    ALIGNMENT/ROTATE,YPLUS,TO,BDATUM,ABOUT,XMINUS
                    ALIGNMENT/TRANS,XAXIS,CDATUM
                    ALIGNMENT/TRANS,YAXIS,CDATUM
                    ALIGNMENT/TRANS,ZAXIS,CDATUM
                    ALIGNMENT/ROTATE_OFFSET,15,ABOUT,XMINUS
                    ALIGNMENT/ROTATE_OFFSET,22,ABOUT,ZMINUS
                    ALIGNMENT/ROTATE_OFFSET,37,ABOUT,YMINUS
                    ALIGNMENT/TRANS_OFFSET,XAXIS,-123
                    ALIGNMENT/TRANS_OFFSET,YAXIS,4536
                    ALIGNMENT/TRANS_OFFSET,ZAXIS,-456.15
                    ALIGNMENT/END
        There are 4 rotates in that alignment, all perfectly correct.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by AndersI
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Poleaxe View Post
          0.27°?
          Ok, you got me; it's actually 0.274°, I just rounded it to two decimal places. It doesn't sound like much but when the part is over 500mm, it makes a difference.
          To some it is half empty

Comment

Thanks Matt for the example. I understand that it does what it does, I was just hoping that the software could either limit each alignment to only 1 level, rotation & origin or give a warning message like it does for other functions... "are you sure you want multiple rotations in this alignment step?"

I think this alignment error was due more to carelessness than stupidity. Most likely this alignment was edited but the programmer & they forgot to remove the rotations & just kept adding them in. Or maybe the demon was just having some fun with us.
            To some it is half empty

Comment

Think of it like this: You bought a brand new 2010 Ferrari. The dealer gave you 5 license plates. You can only use two. One for the front and one for the back.
              Should your car stop working because you have 3 extra plates?

Beep, Beep. "Are you sure you want to continue driving with 3 extra license plates?"
              Lately, it occurs to me
              What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Comment

There are times when you want multiple rotations. Back in the day when you had to get into car position manually and iterative alignments were someones wet dream you had to use them. In fact I still do this at times when I'm trying to get aligned exactly straight down a bore. For example:

ALIGNMENT/ROTATE, XPLUS,TO,CYL1,ABOUT,ZPLUS
                ALIGNMENT/ROTATE, XPLUS,TO,CYL1,ABOUT,YPLUS

Bill

Comment