Intersection of Plane & Cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intersection of Plane & Cylinder

Imagine an empty beer mug lying on it's side. However, the handle of the mug doesn't drive straight toward the center of the mug, it's at a slight angle.

The handle is measured as a Zplus plane. The mug is 2 circles created in Xminus IJK -1,0,0 constructed into a cylinder in X+ direction.

I need to measure from the intersection of the handle to the center of the mug. I'm trying to get the plane to pierce the cylinder but I keep getting error messages. Plane-cylinder won't pierce & neither will plane-circles. Help menu says they should but I can't get them to pierce.

Suggestions please. Thank you.
    To some the glass is half full
    To some it is half empty
    To me it is poorly designed by the Eng & Prod wants me to find a way to measure it in spec!

uummmm

let me interpret that of correct way ....

make a plane, then a cylinder, now create a Projection point select first the cylinder and after the plane, and you will be have a point in the center of cylinder and center of plane....

do you need this information or I interpret that like wrong ??

regards !!

Comment

Refill the mug.
      Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
        Refill the mug.
        lol ....

Comment

Originally posted by Slug Dawson View Post
          Imagine an empty beer mug lying on it's side. However, the handle of the mug doesn't drive straight toward the center of the mug, it's at a slight angle.

The handle is measured as a Zplus plane. The mug is 2 circles created in Xminus IJK -1,0,0 constructed into a cylinder in X+ direction.

I need to measure from the intersection of the handle to the center of the mug. I'm trying to get the plane to pierce the cylinder but I keep getting error messages. Plane-cylinder won't pierce & neither will plane-circles. Help menu says they should but I can't get them to pierce.

Suggestions please. Thank you.
          Intersection of the handle and WHAT?
          Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Because of the angle of the plane, it does not project into the center of the cylinder. So I need to create points or line where the two features meet. Then measure from that feature to the center of the cylinder.
            To some it is half empty
            To me it is poorly designed by the Eng & Prod wants me to find a way to measure it in spec!

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
              Intersection of the handle and WHAT?
              Where the handle meets the mug.
              To some it is half empty

Comment

Because of the angle of the plane, it does not project into the center of the cylinder. So I need to create points or line where the two features meet. Then measure from that feature to the center of the cylinder.
                Yeah, I don't think you're gonna get it doing a cylinder/plane. The intersection of a cylinder & plane will be the point where the center line of the cylinder & plane hit. You may have to use some other combination of features. A print might help us. You may have to:
                1) Level to the plane
                2) Rotate to the C/L of the cylinder
                3) Measure TWO NEW LINES, one on the plane, one on the side of the cylinder (using the correct work plane)
                4) Intersect the two line (same work plane as measured)
                sigpic
                Originally posted by AndersI
                I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Why can't it be done as 2 pierce points? One where each circle pierces the plane. Then construct a line out of the 2 pierce points & measure from the points/ line to the center of the cylinder?
                  To some it is half empty

Comment

Why can't it be done as 2 pierce points? One where each circle pierces the plane. Then construct a line out of the 2 pierce points & measure from the points/ line to the center of the cylinder?
                    Because unless it is an absolutely perfect check (and it NEVER EVER will be) there will NOT be only one intersection point for a circle and a plane and Pcdmis isn't smart enough to figure it out from that "point". You'll never get those circles perfectly tangent to that plane, the machine error itself will see to that. Point construction isn't a "close enough" kind of proposition, either it is there or it isn't and the WORKPLANE you are using at the time will have a lot do to with it as well.
                    sigpic
                    Originally posted by AndersI
                    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

This machine is haunted.

This program was completed & running fine on Monday. I was OOO until today & now this program has all kinds of problems!
                      Two of the probe angles somehow got switched:
                      1) I'ts trying to measure the left side of the part from A90B-90.
                      2) It's trying to measure the right side of the part from A90B90.

I've been going through this correcting errors as I go. When re-running CIR1, instead of taking the hits starting at the red arrow continuing to the orange arrow, it started probing where the green probe move lines show at the top of the circle. Well, there's no circle there! Why did this change? I just measured that circle correctly not more than 5 minutes ago!

So I saved the program, shut 'er down opened 'er up again to redo. Well now CIR1 has everything switched, the red & orange arrows are switched & then green path lines are on the top, shifted to the left!
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Slug Dawson; 02-06-2010, 11:45 AM.
                      To some it is half empty

Comment

This machine is so haunted that I'm about ready to walk in front of a forklift.

This program was completed & running fine on Monday. I was OOO until today & now this program has all kinds of problems!
                        Two of the probe angles somehow got switched:
                        1) I'ts trying to measure the left side of the part from A90B-90.
                        2) It's trying to measure the right side of the part from A90B90.

I've been going through this correcting errors as I go. When re-running CIR1, instead of taking the hits starting at the red arrow continuing to the orange arrow, it started probing where the green probe move lines show at the top of the circle. Well, there's no circle there! Why did this change? I just measured that circle correctly not more than 5 minutes ago!

So I saved the program, shut 'er down opened 'er up again to redo. Well now CIR1 has everything switched, the red & orange arrows are switched & then green path lines are on the top, shifted to the left!

mmmmm this sounds like a wrong vectors

Comment

Here's a quick ugly sketch of what I'm trying to measure: a bracket attached to a ring.

From the theoretical intersection of the flat part of the bracket where it it starts to round, to the center of the ring. The round part of the bracket is just less than 25% of a circle. There is no actual sharp corner since this is a formed metal bracket.

What is the best way to make this measurement using PCdmis?
                          Attached Files
                          To some it is half empty

Comment

Originally posted by JPedro View Post
                            mmmmm this sounds like a wrong vectors
                            We have similar problems with this software with many part programs. Most of the time, shutting 'er down & re-starting takes care of the "ghost in the machine."

I just restarted & it ran fine from beginning to end. Just need to know how to get this dimension.
                            Last edited by Slug Dawson; 02-05-2010, 05:04 PM.
                            To some it is half empty

Comment