Closing programs - Autosave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closing programs - Autosave

Has anyone figured out how to disable the saving of program when you close it out? Does operator mode save the file when closed?

Reason is, someone has been messing with my programs lately. I need to make em readonly
    I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
    PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
    PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Quit the program instead of closing it
    "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought, which they seldom use." ~ Soren Kierkegaard

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Zastrow
      Quit the program instead of closing it
      Yes, this works but my operator always tries to close instead and then gets the error window. Then the "save as" window pops up and she freezes and waits to ask me what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck
        Yes, this works but my operator always tries to close instead and then gets the error window. Then the "save as" window pops up and she freezes and waits to ask me what to do.

backup,backup,backup....

the only sure way to retain your original progie is to change the properties of the files .prg to "read only" in windows. If he/she saves it to a new name....whatever, as long as your original is intact.
        sigpiccall me "Plum Crazy"....but you only go around once!

Comment

Originally posted by Underspec
          Has anyone figured out how to disable the saving of program when you close it out? Does operator mode save the file when closed?

Reason is, someone has been messing with my programs lately. I need to make em readonly
          Operator mode does save the program as is when exited. This is good because if you have any fixturing or other alignments that need to be retained for later use they are. I use operator mode on one of our CMMs and have found issues. Supposedly the program can not be edited but I have found that while the focus is on the edit window (which is always in report mode BTW) whenever some one hits the enter key an unmarked comment is inserted into the program. For what ever reason my monkeys love to hit the enter key and sometimes I find hundreds of lines of comments. I don't get it. Another issue (I am only speaking for 3.2063 and under) is you can in fact highlight and delete from the edit window in operator mode. I told B&S this and I was told "no you can't". One day a B&S guy was here in the shop and I told him and he said "no you can't". I opened up a program in operator mode, highlighted everything and hit delete and it was all gone. Then I went back in online mode opened the program and verified that the entire thing was erased. He said "I didn't know you could do that". I wanted to punch him. Also in operator mode Icons disappear. They can be highlighted and deleted but they will also disappear on their own so that is an issue you will need to know about. You can go to New Marked Set and type in the name of the deleted marked set and it will be restored but where it goes I don't know. Operators can not do much else to your program in operator mode as far as I know like creating features and alignments etc so it may be a viable solution. My advise would be to try it out and see how the monkeys do, it greys out a lot of the menu items so it does do a good job at thwarting the click happy. They might be sabotaging you because your avatar is not animated though. The fix to you problem might be as simple as getting an animated avatar.

Craig
          <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

Originally posted by Mike N.
            backup,backup,backup....

the only sure way to retain your original progie is to change the properties of the files .prg to "read only" in windows. If he/she saves it to a new name....whatever, as long as your original is intact.

Yes, they are all read-only so they can not be changed. The problem is that she tries to close the program then doesn't know what to do at the save as. Then she doesn't do anything but waste time.

Comment

So it seems to me the only solution is to tell the monkeys to stop messin with the programs or else

PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
              PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Underspec
                So it seems to me the only solution is to tell the monkeys to stop messin with the programs or else
                I believe you were offered 4 solutions
                1. Instruct operators to quit instead of exiting (good luck)
                2. Change your .prgs to "Read Only" (operators have to be smart enough to get past the "Save as" deal)
                3. Use operator mode (it has issues though)
                4. Animate your avatar (your best bet)

Craig
                <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

Thanks, but I need a better way. I will keep you posted if I find something.

PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
                  PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

In the Setup Options window, Click on the Warnings and scroll down about 3/4 of the way. There is a check box "Do you want to save before closing?" You can change to "NO" and uncheck the box (or check - I can't remember) and it will not prompt you for this again. There is another check box higher in the list "Do you want to quit Part Program without saving?" with the same options. In the Setup Options window, there are other options for "Automatic File Save" (Set on Time intervals) and "Save Part Program on Execute".
                    And at the very bottom is the option "Animate Avitar?"
                    sigpic

Comment

IS THERE A WAY TO DELETE THE "CLOSE" FROM THE DROP DOWN BOX FOR INDIVIDUAL OPERATORS THAT ARE LOGGED IN UNDER THERE PASSWORD? OF COARSE YOU WILL WANT THE PROGRAMMER TO HAVE IT BUT NOT THE MONKEY'S. I LOOKED A LONG TIME AGO BUT WAS UNABLE TO FIND WHERE THIS COULD BE DONE - DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHERE THIS COULD BE DONE?
                      sigpic

B&S ADVANTAGE 12-22-10, EXCEL 9-15-9, ETC.
                      PCDMIS 4.1, 3.5mr2,

Comment

VONDY,
                        Very good response. Yes, go to the top (near your toolbars), right click, go to customize. Ibelieve once that is open you can go up to your menus and highlight the pulldown option you want to delete and drag it off of the menu.
                        sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMannes
                          VONDY,
                          Very good response. Yes, go to the top (near your toolbars), right click, go to customize. Ibelieve once that is open you can go up to your menus and highlight the pulldown option you want to delete and drag it off of the menu.
                          When you do this you get a window titled "customize" at the top are three tabs. On the "Menu" tab if you expand "menu items" then expand "file" the close icon is there. It won't, however, let me do anything with it. I have two buttons down at the bottom "defaults" and "add new". I'm in V3.7MR3 by the way.

Comment

Oh, and another thing. When the operator chooses "close" on a read-only program, gets the error, gets the "Save-As" window and then cancels the save as...

the autosave file doesn't get deleted!

Comment