Does this seem backwards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this seem backwards?

I'm programming a part for one of our subs, and their print calls out PERP. of a plane back to a through hole. Is that odd? I'm used to the through hole having its PERP. called back to a plane. Note the other way around. This is their way of controlling the paralellism of two of the planes.
    CMM Programmer
    Jackson Michigan
    Mistral 7.7.5
    4.3MR2

Seems odd to me. Not necessarily wrong but probably not the best way to do it.

Comment

Perhaps the face is the moving part and the through hole gets a shaft mounted in it to rotate the whole thing. In that case it would be dimensioned as it is applied. That is the real question, is it dimensioned as it is applied? There is no convention that says you control this to that. How you control your features depends on the parts usage. If the part is to be stationary and a rotating shaft goes through the hole then I'd say yeah it is backwards but if the part gets mounted to a rotating shaft and the entire part moves then you would probably want to control runout of the face and I'd say it is dimensioned smartly. What is the application?

Craig
      <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

The funny thing is I have no idea what the parts function is! I DO know that the two faces that I am questioning are mount surfaces, and that something (maybe a porpoise or llama) runs through that hole they are supposed to be PERP. to. ****, it's Friday and I'm burnt out.
        CMM Programmer
        Jackson Michigan
        Mistral 7.7.5
        4.3MR2

Comment

Originally posted by Sl33stak
          The funny thing is I have no idea what the parts function is! I DO know that the two faces that I am questioning are mount surfaces, and that something (maybe a porpoise or llama) runs through that hole they are supposed to be PERP. to. ****, it's Friday and I'm burnt out.

Since porpoises don't run I'm going to guess a llama!

Here you could use this.

TGIF http://www.pcdmisforum.com/showthread.php?t=1768

Comment

So how exactly do I do this? Do I call my cylinder the origin, then call out perp. of my plane? I get crazy numbers that way.
            CMM Programmer
            Jackson Michigan
            Mistral 7.7.5
            4.3MR2

Comment