Feature names

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Feature names

    We are running a customers program and many of the Feature Names contain <, >, -, +, * as part of the feature names. I have always stayed away from this as somewhere in the back of my mind I know it can cause trouble.

    I have been using this program daily for 6 month now and had no problems until Monday. Now it is giving me readings that just can't be real. Areas that we have hard gages for check good on the hard gage with a tolerance of plus or minus .1mm are giving me readings of 0.926mm on the CMM and some worse than that. I checked the gages and they are good. Has anyone ever heard of or gone thru anything like this? Can it work fine and suddenly just mess-up due to something like this?

    Thanks for any and all help.

  • #2
    That sure sounds like Pcdmis to me!

    And, you are correct, STAY AWAY from 'characters' in feature and dimesion ID's. Numbers and letters only.

    Try shutting EVERYTHING down, PC, Controller, everything, then re-booting and also try re-calibrating your probe.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

    Comment


    • #3
      You should not use operataors anywhere (naming convention or otherwise) except where you want them to perform as an operator. You will certainly have problems when trying to get a reference to the so-named feature but I don't know about execution measurement problems. I'd expect a problem compiling first but I still do not know how PCDMIS compiles at execution time (I'm curious to know). I'm going to try what you have and I'll let you know what the behavior is on my end. What version are you running?

      Craig
      <internet bumper sticker goes here>

      Comment


      • #4
        I use - all the time. The only problem I have had is when I name a program something like 222-111. Then at the top of the program it has the program name as 111.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Goodluck
          I use - all the time. The only problem I have had is when I name a program something like 222-111. Then at the top of the program it has the program name as 111.
          Same here our PNs follow 1234-56-789 format and I name my programs the same as PNs. Put it in quotes "222-111" and it will be OK.

          Craig
          <internet bumper sticker goes here>

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by craiger_ny
            Same here our PNs follow 1234-56-789 format and I name my programs the same as PNs. Put it in quotes "222-111" and it will be OK.

            Craig
            I have done that and it still does the calculation. The only way I can get it to stop is to use quotes and put in a lot of spaces " 123 - 456 "

            Comment


            • #7
              I get around that by using underscore instead of dash. 222-111 = 222_111 Never a problem that way. HTH
              sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Goodluck
                I have done that and it still does the calculation. The only way I can get it to stop is to use quotes and put in a lot of spaces " 123 - 456 "
                I use underscore instead of dash. (123_456)
                N.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman
                  That sure sounds like Pcdmis to me!

                  And, you are correct, STAY AWAY from 'characters' in feature and dimesion ID's. Numbers and letters only.

                  Try shutting EVERYTHING down, PC, Controller, everything, then re-booting and also try re-calibrating your probe.
                  I'll give that a try.

                  Thanks Matt

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Wes Cisco
                    I get around that by using underscore instead of dash. 222-111 = 222_111 Never a problem that way. HTH
                    SAme goes here, I always use underscores

                    Comment

                    Related Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X