Gage diameter depth in a cone

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gage diameter depth in a cone

    How do I get the depth of a specified gage diameter from my cone?
    Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
    Contura Calypso 5.4

    Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

  • #2
    Create a plane at that depth and construct a circle at that plane should work
    sigpic
    if you had soap on a rope it would be tied to yer ankle

    Comment


    • #3
      I've got it. Thanks anyway.

      Duane
      Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
      Contura Calypso 5.4

      Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

      Comment


      • #4
        What I have found to be the easiest way is to measure the cone using autofeatures, then go to construct>circle, near the bottom on the left is a radio button for "cone" when you select it the windows ungray and you can choose diameter or height and the info you enter,(either diameter if you need to report distance, or the height if you need to report diameter. The option you choose tells the software which info you are providing), select your cone from the right window and create, then you can dimension the circle you created for either diameter, or distance to datum plane, or z value, etc. Some people do not like the autocone and choose to create a cone from either circles or individual hits. If you do that, you can still use the radio button in the contsruct circle window to get the diameter or height at the height or diameter you specify. I have never had problems with autocone myself. HTH
        sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Wes Cisco
          What I have found to be the easiest way is to measure the cone using autofeatures, then go to construct>circle, near the bottom on the left is a radio button for "cone" when you select it the windows ungray and you can choose diameter or height and the info you enter,(either diameter if you need to report distance, or the height if you need to report diameter. The option you choose tells the software which info you are providing), select your cone from the right window and create, then you can dimension the circle you created for either diameter, or distance to datum plane, or z value, etc. Some people do not like the autocone and choose to create a cone from either circles or individual hits. If you do that, you can still use the radio button in the contsruct circle window to get the diameter or height at the height or diameter you specify. I have never had problems with autocone myself. HTH
          That works great too.

          I cheated a little and created a generic cylinder to the specicifed size then intersected the cone and the cylinder and got the same result as I did with your method.

          Thank you Wes.
          Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
          Contura Calypso 5.4

          Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dwade
            That works great too.

            I cheated a little and created a generic cylinder to the specicifed size then intersected the cone and the cylinder and got the same result as I did with your method.

            Thank you Wes.
            You are most welcome.
            The instructor told us that cone button was put there just for gage points. It seems a bit cumbersome at first, but after you do it a couple of times, it becomes quick and easy. Kind of like. . . wait, this isn't the off topic zone. Nevermind.
            sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

            Comment


            • #7
              In MM4 there is a gage diameter feature for cones. It will give you the distance from a datum at the specified diameter.

              Example: "GAGE_PL1 = DISTANCE/GAGE_DIA; ZXPL, CONE1, 23"

              This will give me the distance to a cross section of cone1 where it is Ø 23.

              Doesn't PC-Dmis have a similar function?
              sigpic
              Global Advantage 12-22-10
              TESASTAR M SP25 4.3mr2

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by keego
                In MM4 there is a gage diameter feature for cones. It will give you the distance from a datum at the specified diameter.

                Example: "GAGE_PL1 = DISTANCE/GAGE_DIA; ZXPL, CONE1, 23"

                This will give me the distance to a cross section of cone1 where it is Ø 23.

                Doesn't PC-Dmis have a similar function?
                Yes indeed, that is what my earlier post in this thread describes. It does not do it with a single line of code as in your example. In Pc-Dmis you must construct a circle from the cone, telling the software either the diameter you want it to find on the cone or the distance from the start point of the cone you want it to create the circle at. For your example you would choose diameter and enter .23. Then you can dimension the resulting circle either as a distance from a feature, (usually a plane), or as an axial dimension, ( x, y, or z as a location dim). HTH
                Last edited by Wes Cisco; 07-26-2006, 09:23 PM.
                sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks Wes, that's what I was hoping, and it sounds pretty simple. I'm looking forward to PC-Dmis, but I'm glad I still have my MMIV Legacy!
                  sigpic
                  Global Advantage 12-22-10
                  TESASTAR M SP25 4.3mr2

                  Comment

                  Related Topics

                  Collapse

                  Working...
                  X