Probe Changer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probe Changer

I have given my boss a Wish List of stuff for my machine.
    One item is an automatic Probe Changer. I would like to know how many of ya'll use these and if it saves time?
    How hard is it to set up?
    I am running 3.5MR2. Will it work with this version or am I going to need to get some sort of upgrade to make it work?
    I have many programs that call for different probe configurations, so I thought this would speed it up.
    Thanks ahead of time.

PS: I did ask for an Updated SMA
    B. Jacobs
    B&S Global 12.15.10

I have 2 machines with tool changers running 3.7 mr3.Easy setup no problems.I think a tool changer is a must.Saves alot of time.Out of about 1000 programs I use them on about 95 percent of them.

Comment

I have a sp600 and a changer with ONLY 4 slots (8 would be nice or two racks)
      It is easy to setup and will save time (when programed at proper speed) and the risk of dropping a probe while changing it is elliminated.
      sigpiccall me "Plum Crazy"....but you only go around once!

Comment

Run CUSTPROG.EXE in your pcdmisw directory to find out if you even have the Tool Changer module. If not you will PAY!

I am currently making a GUI using VB to run four different parts on the surface plate at the same time. A probe changer is required to automate this. This also saves your LOTS of money if you have many clumsy inspectors Since implemented probe changers, we have NOT had to buy ANY new replacement probes.
        I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
        PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
        PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

We have 3 - 4slot changers. couldn't live without them. You'll have a slight learning curve but it will be the best investment you make.
          Your life is happening, Participate!

Comment

I have a tp20 rack and a tp200 rack. The changers are great. Fairly easy to install and get running. They will save some calibration time, and some switch out time in the middle of programs, and they eliminated chances for human error resulting in fishhooks as noted below. Make sure when you buy the rack you are being quoted for everything you need to make it work. The tp200 requires a cable, and both require a software module. Don't let them do the used car salesman routine on you and try to hit you for "extras" that should have been part of the original price. Another option is to just buy modules for the tp20 or 200 and hand change them, it is quick and easy to do. Several people do this, choosing to spend the $ on extra modules instead of a rack, then they make a rack of one kind or another themselves to just hold the modules, not a changer. A search for changers should yeild a not too distant thread on the subject that had a pic or two of "homemade" racks. HTH
            sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Cisco
              A search for changers should yeild a not too distant thread on the subject that had a pic or two of "homemade" racks. HTH
              I have looked for this but can't find it. Could ya'll help me out?
              Thanks
              B. Jacobs
              B&S Global 12.15.10

Comment

Originally posted by B. Jacobs
                I have looked for this but can't find it. Could ya'll help me out?
                Thanks
                Yeah, I can, and I did, and here is the one I remember, and couple of others that may be of interest.

1) Pics

2)related

3)more

HTH

I just tried one of the links and it only took me to last post in the thread, but in the top right corner there is a link to the entire thread, just click it. We appologize for any inconvience!
                Last edited by Wes Cisco; 07-26-2006, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Thanks Wes. This helps abunch.
                  B. Jacobs
                  B&S Global 12.15.10

Comment

sp600 here, finally impressed the importance of our one rack, and was able to talk the boss into another for a total of 2 racks, 8 slots.
                    If you use more than one probe in a program, and have anyone other than qualified technicians running the cmm, it is a MUST HAVE......
                    Wouldn't trade it for the world
                    Now I just need the probe head changer, and a touch trigger probe........

Comment

I have a 15 position probe changer running the SP25 probe. I also have about 100 positions in the entire rack. The calibration of rack is 10 hours.
                      I agree its simple to set-up, One thing MUST be understood is all tips need to be in sync. Meaning you identify 1 tip in the rack to be the master and all
                      others must be tied to that. So if you break a tip you just can't replace and calibrate it. You must either calibrate the entire rack or create a partial cal. routine calibrating the master (vertical only) then calibrating new tip. This will tie it to all tips in rack.
                      I also created a cal. check routine which takes the master tip and sets x,y,z
                      zero on sphere. The other tips measure the sphere @ 2 angles
                      (a0b0/a90b-90) and tolerance xyz location, size & form. This will tell me if I have a damaged tip in rack or need to run the entire routine.

Hope this helps,

Jay Gus

Comment

Update On Probe Changer

It must be my lucky day. We just ordered me a Probe Changer. The software was ordered also. Now I am happy I think.
                        B. Jacobs
                        B&S Global 12.15.10

Comment

Originally posted by B. Jacobs
                          It must be my lucky day. We just ordered me a Probe Changer. The software was ordered also. Now I am happy I think.
                          Congrats, you will like it. It has a great wow factor for people who don't know much about CMM's or recent advances in CMM technology. Of course, very soon you will want. . . it's always something.

Comment