I need help constructing a circle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help constructing a circle

I used 3 different auto circles to take one 87 mm diameter due to fixture interference.
    I thought I could just recall the 3 circles with construct a circle to get the diameter of the one circle, but PCDMIS v3.207 won’t let me do it. I’m guessing I have to identify the individual points to create the one circle.
    Will someone please show me the code/commands to create individual points from an auto circle so I can construct 1 circle out of 3 auto circles.
    My time is up and I am pulling my hair out trying to figure this out:scream:

Originally posted by Geister View Post
    I used 3 different auto circles to take one 87 mm diameter due to fixture interference.
    I thought I could just recall the 3 circles with construct a circle to get the diameter of the one circle, but PCDMIS v3.207 won’t let me do it. I’m guessing I have to identify the individual points to create the one circle.
    Will someone please show me the code/commands to create individual points from an auto circle so I can construct 1 circle out of 3 auto circles.
    My time is up and I am pulling my hair out trying to figure this out:scream:
    Oh boy, that's a beech!.

Instead of using AUTO FEATURE for that circle, why not use a learned circle feature. You can insert move points, clearance planes, tip changes, angle changes, all that jive between hits. Also, since it is a learned circle, it takes the hits where YOU took them so you can skip gap in the circle and still get one huge circle. Of course, for a circle that is NOT sqaure to an axis, it will complicate matters, but it can still be done.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Partly because I am kind of new to programming and I thought it would be easier to use auto circle instead of worrying about vectors and rotation. Is it even possible to pick the points out of an auto circle?

Comment

Originally posted by Geister View Post
        Partly because I am kind of new to programming and I thought it would be easier to use auto circle instead of worrying about vectors and rotation. Is it even possible to pick the points out of an auto circle?
        Yes, but you won't like it.

Code:
        P050       =GENERIC/POINT,DEPENDENT,RECT,$
                    NOM/XYZ,CDATUM.HIT[1].X,CDATUM.HIT[1].Y,CDATUM.HIT[1].Z,$
                    MEAS/XYZ,CDATUM.HIT[1].X,CDATUM.HIT[1].Y,CDATUM.HIT[1].Z,$
                    NOM/IJK,0,0,1,$
                    MEAS/IJK,0,0,1
        That will give you the FIRST HIT of the circle (in this example) CDATUM. Repeat for each and every hit taken. Then construct a circle from all the generic points.
        Last edited by Matthew D. Hoedeman; 01-07-2010, 07:22 AM.
        sigpic
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
          Yes, but you won't like it.

Code:
          P050       =GENERIC/POINT,DEPENDENT,RECT,$
                      NOM/XYZ,CDATUM.HIT[1].X,CDATUM.HIT[1].Y,CDATUM.HIT[1].Z,$
                      MEAS/XYZ,CDATUM.HIT[1].X,CDATUM.HIT[1].Y,CDATUM.HIT[1].Z,$
                      NOM/IJK,0,0,1,$
                      MEAS/IJK,0,0,1
          That will give you the FIRST HIT of the circle (in this example) CDATUM. Repeat for each and every hit taken. Then construct a circle from all the generic points.
          Matt is spot on with this example - it is a massive PITA if you have a large number of hits in your autocircle........vision Bart Simpson at the chalkboard writing "I will not.....yada yada yada" a hundred times.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by Ironhoe
          I got something under my sporran for you, take care of it and you got my vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Lab_ratt View Post
            Matt is spot on with this example - it is a massive PITA if you have a large number of hits in your autocircle........vision Bart Simpson at the chalkboard writing "I will not.....yada yada yada" a hundred times.
            Oops, one BAD thing I did there, but knowing this will make you even MORE un-happy, maybe. The THEO's for that point shouldn't be the measurement as shown, they SHOULD be the correct CAD nominals for the point, biggest reason for that is, the point as shown will always report as "perfect" as done since the measurement is BOTH the THEO and ACTL. BUT, if all you are going to do with it is construct a circle, and you KNOW the center point and diameter, you can put that info into the constructed circle and get the correct dimension out of it.
            sigpic

Comment

So sad for everything to be a PITA....

More than one way to skin this kitty. Learn the circle... Sheeesh... I totally dislike joysticking a program....

Go to Feature Construct > check the cast box and select the first circle you want to use in your construction then OK and your code will look like this. I am going to say your autocircle used 5 hits PER circle you measured inside this one circle. If you have a different number of hits for the remaining circles change the number 5 to what ever you have that specific circle used.

Code:
              CIR_ID       =FEAT/CIRCLE,RECT,IN
                          THEO/0.0833,0.2565,0.005,0,0,1,0.313
                          ACTL/0.0833,0.2565,0.005,0,0,1,0.313
                          CONSTR/CIRCLE,CAST,CIR1,DEPENDENT
              Then after CIR1 type ".HITS[1..5]" and then hit tab and your code will look like this.

Code:
                          CONSTR/CIRCLE,CAST,CIR1.HITS[1..5],DEPENDENT
              Once this is done type in immediately after the comma of the first sequence you added CIR2.HITS[1..5], and you can do this for all of the circles you want use to construct your "full" circle. and your code will look like this. NOTE: Make sure you use the comma to separate each feature you add.

Code:
                          CONSTR/CIRCLE,CAST,CIR1.HITS[1..5],CIR2.HITS[1..5],CIR3.HITS[1..5],DEPENDENT
              Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
              Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

Comment

F9 on each of the autocircles you made. In V4.3, at the bottom of the F9 window is a row of icons. One of them is HIT TARGETS. All of your XYZ IJK for all the points in the autocircle are there. Find the hit targets for your version of the software & write these down. Then you can construct points from these values & then construct the circle you need.

Good luck!
                Last edited by Slug Dawson; 01-07-2010, 10:11 AM.
                To some the glass is half full
                To some it is half empty
                To me it is poorly designed by the Eng & Prod wants me to find a way to measure it in spec!

Comment

OK.... had my cojones busted for the use of the code as it MAY NOT WORK in your version that is as old as the hills in Tennessee that Perry lives in.

You can try it and it might work, but then again it might not.

I apologize for my cocky and egotistical arrogance Surely you belive that, don't you?
                  Contura Calypso 5.4

Comment

Or, you can create vector points using the XYZ IJK data from your hit points in the method I described above. After you have created all of the points, you can construct your circle from them & delete your 3 autocircles.
                    To some the glass is half full
                    To some it is half empty
                    To me it is poorly designed by the Eng & Prod wants me to find a way to measure it in spec!

Comment

Have you tried constructing a CYLINDER from these 3 circles? I've done it before when tolerances were not that tight/didn't have time to rebuild circles through code. Beware that because all of your circles are on the same level, it might do funky things to the numbers.

This is one area where PC-DMIS could learn from Quindos. Easy manipulation/grouping of points from any feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Chally72 View Post
                        Have you tried constructing a CYLINDER from these 3 circles?
                        I do know that V3.206/3.207 will only let you use 2 circles to construct a cylinder.
                        Contura Calypso 5.4

Comment

...the circle will not construct (math fails) if they all have the same approach vector...rotate you alignment to change the start vector...or just do it in the Auto-Circle Window...that's the way I do it at least...HTH

Comment

Originally posted by dwade View Post
                            I do know that V3.206/3.207 will only let you use 2 circles to construct a cylinder.

I was always taught a perfect cylinder only has two circles. One @ the top & one @ the bottom, any more is just more variables introduced.
                            Poleaxe

Beware the environment you live in for it will shape you
                            Be careful the friends you choose for you will become like them.

sigpic

Comment

If you have partial circles, say for example 20 degrees of circle each, I would think that it would be much more beneficial to "fit" the cylinder to more than 2 circle "sections." Whether or not this is what PC-DMIS does, I don't know.

Comment