pcdmis vs. metrolog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pcdmis vs. metrolog

Hello, I am a new member to the forum and would like to ask a question. I have been in Quality for approximately twenty years and have been a CMM programmer for the majority of that time. I started with a manual Sheffield and was last operating a Mitutoyo, and after running various Mitutoyo software ended up running Metrolog XG. I was one of the many individuals permanently laid-off when the company started downsizing a year and a half ago. About six months ago I started working for a company as a Quality Inspector. I haven't touched a CMM since I was with my previous employer. The CMM programmer for my current company retired last month. The position was offered to me today and I have accepted. Here is my problem. I have never used PC-DMIS. I was upfront with this when they were considering me for the position. I have been told by other CMM programmers that I shouldn't have any major problems because of my years of CMM experience and the fact that I have experience with Metrolog. Yet another CMM programmer has told me that PC-DMIS and Metrolog are two totally different beasts. Not having any experience with PC-DMIS I don't know who is correct. I start my new position next week and my current position will be filled by someone else. My worry is that I will not understand PC-DMIS and hence be jobless once again. So, I am looking for opinions and advice as to whether I will indeed have few problems with PC-DMIS or whether I will be totally lost. Thanks.

A circle is still a circle, a cylinder is still a cylinder, an edge point is still an edge point. The software might be different but the basics are just the same. You still have to be able to know how to hold a part and how to align it. Yes it will take you a bit of time to find your way around PC-DMIS, but once you know where everything is, I'm sure you will have few problems.

If there is any possibility of getting some training, grab it!!

Use this forum, there are a number guys here whose knowledge and experience of PC-DMIS is superb, and they don't mind aswering questions (but use the search function as well )

just leaves it for me to say "Welcome to the madhouse"
    If I have offended anyone with this post, I'd like to take this opportunity to say BOLLOCKS
    Dry your eyes Princess and man up.

Comment

Usually the hardest software to learn is the second.

The first you are open to the concepts and usually get oem training.
      The second you usually inherit with no training and you try to make it work like the first software. Fail.
      The third and on get easier and easier. Now you think in concepts. A circle is a circle, just how is one defined in this software.

Training is advised simply because its much more efficient to hit the ground running than to teach yourself as you go.
      --Brian

"The best way to predict the future is invent it. This includes your very next action."

Support: Hexagon Metrology Support Center
      Training: Hexagon Metrology University

Comment

Usually the hardest software to learn is the second.

The first you are open to the concepts and usually get oem training.
        The second you usually inherit with no training and you try to make it work like the first software. Fail.
        The third and on get easier and easier. Now you think in concepts. A circle is a circle, just how is one defined in this software.

Training is advised simply because its much more efficient to hit the ground running than to teach yourself as you go.
        --Brian

"The best way to predict the future is invent it. This includes your very next action."

Support: Hexagon Metrology Support Center
        Training: Hexagon Metrology University

Comment

I used MicroMeasure4 for years and was really hesitant to learn PC-Dmis. Even after 2 training sessions totalling 9 days, I still came back and used MM4. It wasn't until we bought another machine without MM4 package on it that I was forced to start using PC-Dmis, and am so glad I did. It is really powerful software and really not that hard to learn. Of course it wasn't that difficult because it does have similarities to MM4 seeing that MM4 was Hexagon's former premier CMM language.

Now we're getting ready to buy a Zeiss and I'm gonna have to learn Calypso. I'm told that that is a different ball game all together, but I'm game. I feel that all that is needed to learn any CMM software is a firm grasp of basic CMM theory, and knowledge of layout inspection and of course, GD&T. Go for it!
          sigpic
          Global Advantage 12-22-10
          TESASTAR M SP25 4.3mr2

Comment

your fist step in the right direction was coming to this forum.....much help and information can be garnered herein

bob
            Which one gets ridden today? MPH vs MPG..tough choice, both are FUN
            sigpic

Starrett RGDC 4028-24 :alien:
            Demon vintages 3.7, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 2009

Comment

Have programmed numerous softwares & everyone here has made valid points........my only suggestion is if you don't now then you need to start drinking heavely......
              sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

+1 on everything already said. The software has it's quirks but so does every software has it's problems
                Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
                Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by mojoman View Post
                  Hello, I am a new member to the forum. So, I am looking for opinions and advice as to whether I will indeed have few problems with PC-DMIS or whether I will be totally lost. Thanks.

In April 2008 in view of all my previous Cmm experience I too was told to get onto the Cmm & play with it & there is no budget for training. It will just be a matter of geography or more accurately navigation around the screen presented to you by the Pissy demon.One of its better names.

In my case it did not help having a motherboard with a crack in it which turned out to be temperatute dependant on the inherited computer mixed in with temperamental software & a few other bits n bobs that required replacing which have now been sorted. I was suffering (in every sense of the word) about 4 or 5 dumps onto the desktop per day. Now its 2 or 3 per year after learning & cherry picking the advice on here.

For instance why has Brian G posted 2 identical posts Nos 3 & 4? Stereo? Double strength? Ah well.

The backbone of the software is sound it's what has reached the market place in the guise of reliable & intuitive metrological product that leaves a lot to be desired. If it was right why do they clamour to issue updates periodically? I rest my case your Honour.

So no different to what you are used to, & welcome to the fun factory. The 'search' facility is a great tool, use it well.
                  Poleaxe

Beware the environment you live in for it will shape you
                  Be careful the friends you choose for you will become like them.

sigpic

Comment

Will it take a while to get up to snuff ? Of Course ! I have learned Boyce, Numerex, Hemel, MM4, Power Inspect, and PCDmis . They are all the same and they are all different. Your basic knowledge will be used in all of them but the buttons will be different the execution will be different and the Nomenclature will be different. I give you a month or two and you will feel right at home. Plus this is the best site for finding info. Unfortunately there are no real courses to learn how to Program CMM's. You can get training and it helps greatly but every other field with this type of skill sets you can get training in a College with actual credits. Here you get to do it on your own.

Welcome to the bottom of the funnel
                    Last edited by Lee Johnson; 01-07-2010, 01:45 PM.
                    Tolerance challenged ... Living in the world of unseen lines.

This software isn't buggy its an infestation

Comment

I agree with everyone else here. Especially Snaggy. I first started on Metrolog (Apogee) as well. It was the biggest pain in my a$$ to switch over to PC-Dmis. I never thought I would get the hang of it. Like snaggy said, its essentially all the same, you just got to figure out how to get there. The best thing to do and what my instructor told me to do was to totally forget all about Metrolog. Act like this is your first ever CMM software. It will be a long road ahead of you, my friend, but you can do it.
                      ~Josh~ Giles Rescue "Ut ceteri vivant"

Comment

I started with Chorus VMS on an Alphastation, when we bought the Demon I had a toggle switch fitted so the CMM could run on either software. My (bad) idea was to run my existing programs on the Alpha while I wrote new programs and "eased" my way in with the Demon. Thankfully the Alpha flopped it's paws up soon after I finished the first training class and I was forced to re-write and run everything using only pc-dmis. Hardest part was to STOP THINKING CHORUS, once I did that life got better, but that might be cos the drink got stronger and more frequent ......
                        sigpic

It goes "dink" so it must be workin'

Bollocks

Comment

Originally posted by mojoman View Post
                          Hello, I am a new member to the forum and would like to ask a question. I have been in Quality for approximately twenty years and have been a CMM programmer for the majority of that time...
                          Welcome!

If you were programming for almost 20 years and you were confident at the end of that time that you knew what you were doing, then you will be fine.

I have been programming with PC-DMIS for about 8 years, used other stuff before that for too many years to mention.

Now, I feel as if programming a CMM is more fun than work. And they PAY me for this?

You will enjoy working with PC-DMIS (except when you hate it...grin).
                          Lately, it occurs to me
                          What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Comment

If no one has yet, go to the PCDMISW install folder and open the Printable Docs folder and printout the Master.pdf file and post the resultant book where you can referance it when ever and for whatever.

Comment

Welcome, mojoman. You can learn a lot by visiting this forum. Your vocabulary will expand to include terms such as 'PC-DumbAss', '********' and 'BBS' (visit 'Off-Topic' section for more info on last term).
                              v2013 MR1, v2015.1
                              B&S Global 544, 555
                              Mitutoyo A504 w/PC-DMIS

sigpic
                              Since 1994

Never force anything. Get a bigger hammer.
                              (Advice from my dad.)

Comment